Help with Resume Please!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
northphx

Help with Resume Please!

Postby northphx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I already have several years of professional work experience. Should I still put extracurricular activities on my resume? I had some interesting ones in college.

Adu

Re: Help with Resume Please!

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I would; i don't think it will hurt you.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 pm

northphx wrote:I already have several years of professional work experience. Should I still put extracurricular activities on my resume? I had some interesting ones in college.

Yeah if it fits. Make sure it looks pro though, no more than one page :wink:

rando

Postby rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:40 pm

^ ehh. with several years of professional work experience, OP can extend past one page if needed.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm

If you go more than one page, try to use the entire second page. It looks silly to have a full page and then 1/3 of a page.

I'm agnostic to whether you should put your extracurricular stuff on there. I think I'll probably just put a double-collumned bulleted list of what I did during college since I have several years of professional experience as well.

northphx

Postby northphx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I have always kept my resume within one page for job applications. However, I just edited it by adding my academic honors and awards as well as extracurricular activities. Now it's just a little under two full pages. Can I add a few references to make it 2 full pages? It does look a little silly now.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:08 pm

It looks pretentious for anyone w/ less than a decade of WE to have a resume that's more than one single-spaced page, unless you're applying for academe w/ a C.V.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:21 pm

MrKappus wrote:It looks pretentious for anyone w/ less than a decade of WE to have a resume that's more than one single-spaced page, unless you're applying for academe w/ a C.V.

There's no hard and fast 10yr rule. OP says s/he has several years professional work experience. In the end it comes down to a subjective judgment call depending on how much relevant material there is.

northphx

Postby northphx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

MrKappus wrote:It looks pretentious for anyone w/ less than a decade of WE to have a resume that's more than one single-spaced page, unless you're applying for academe w/ a C.V.

Hmm... isn't law school sort of academia? I agree that there has be a balance. I happen to have an advanced degree with publications as well as 5 years of industry experience. Tough choice if I have to keep it under one page.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Meh, I let mine flow onto a second page and I don't think it will be a problem. This is an admissions process to a school, where I feel like it makes sense to include more than you would when simply applying for a job.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm

rando wrote:

There's no hard and fast 10yr rule. OP says s/he has several years professional work experience. In the end it comes down to a subjective judgment call depending on how much relevant material there is.

:roll:

Fine. There's no hard and fast 10 year rule. But 95% of resumes should be a page long.

It's a brief synopsis of your background, not an exhaustive record of every project and accomplishment you've ever worked on or earned. Unless your background is extensive and impressive, this should only require one page. If its composed of internships, entry-level jobs, and/or college EC's...that takes one page (size 11 times new roman). This is, of course, just my opinion. One of my past jobs (on my one-page resume :)) related to corporate HR, but maybe it's different for LS admissions. But especially if the app has places to list your EC's, I'd be careful about repeating them on your resume.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm

MrKappus wrote:
rando wrote:

Fine. There's no hard and fast 10 year rule. But 95% of resumes should be a page long.

It's a brief synopsis of your background, not an exhaustive record of every project and accomplishment you've ever worked on or earned. Unless your background is extensive and impressive, this should only require one page. If its composed of internships, entry-level jobs, and/or college EC's...that takes one page (size 11 times new roman). This is, of course, just my opinion. One of my past jobs (on my one-page resume :)) related to corporate HR, but maybe it's different for LS admissions. But especially if the app has places to list your EC's, I'd be careful about repeating them on your resume.

you're not reading. you're just going off on a tangent. This post isn't about entry-level jobs, college EC's or internships. OP has professional work experience, publications and an advanced degree. Your point seems entirely irrelevant to OP's situation. Whether or not OP is in your credited ~5% range I don't know.

Everything that has been said ITT has been qualified with the 1pg. rule and considerations for whether OP can exceed that. Nothing has been said to provoke your non-responsive post.

presh

Postby presh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm

northphx wrote:I have always kept my resume within one page for job applications. However, I just edited it by adding my academic honors and awards as well as extracurricular activities. Now it's just a little under two full pages. Can I add a few references to make it 2 full pages? It does look a little silly now.

References should not be on a resume. It should be a separate page.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 pm

MrKappus wrote:
rando wrote:

People always speak of the one-page resume rule like it's sacred. It's really not. I'm a corporate recruiter and I've partnered with hundreds of hiring managers to fill thousands of jobs and I've never heard a hiring manager scoff at, or outright dismiss somebody because of the length of their resume.

You just need to make the judgement call on whether you're going over-the-top. As somebody else said - it's subjective and it needs to fit your purposes.

For the OP, I would definitely list published academic papers, presentations at conferences along with the work experience. I think the two first things present you in a light that differentiates you starkly from your peers. You clearly know how to write at a high level and those presentations (depending on the field or conference) can be pretty competitive. I'm sure you have enough to fill two pages without looking ridiculous.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

rando wrote:you're not reading. you're just going off on a tangent. This post isn't about entry-level jobs, college EC's or internships. OP has professional work experience, publications and an advanced degree. Your point seems entirely irrelevant to OP's situation. Whether or not OP is in your credited ~5% range I don't know.

Everything that has been said ITT has been qualified with the 1pg. rule and considerations for whether OP can exceed that. Nothing has been said to provoke your non-responsive post.

(1) My post is responsive to your post that there is not "hard and fast rule" about 10 years of WE.
(2) The OP explicitly mentions EC's. "You're not reading," apparently.

northphx wrote:I already have several years of professional work experience. Should I still put extracurricular activities on my resume? I had some interesting ones in college.

OP: if you have an advanced degree and have publications, a C.V. that's more than one page is, by all means, appropriate.

Edit: A little bit of helpful quoting/bolding to help rando with his "reading."

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:23 pm

MrKappus wrote:

OP: if you have an advanced degree and have publications, a C.V. that's more than one page is, by all means, appropriate.

MEOW!! HISS!!

rando

Postby rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

MrKappus wrote:
rando wrote:you're not reading. you're just going off on a tangent. This post isn't about entry-level jobs, college EC's or internships. OP has professional work experience, publications and an advanced degree. Your point seems entirely irrelevant to OP's situation. Whether or not OP is in your credited ~5% range I don't know.

(1) My post is responsive to your post that there is not "hard and fast rule" about 10 years of WE.
(2) The OP explicitly mentions EC's. "You're not reading," apparently.

Appropriate eye-roll here. And still non-responsive to the context of this thread. Yes, OP mentioned putting in extracurbiculurs. But not making his resume 2 pages "composed of EC's" as you pointed out.

Solid de-rail of an otherwise helpful thread thus far. Nice work MrK.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Rando's still off-base, but edited to avoid further derailment.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

sigh. I feel bad for you MK.

OP. You should weigh how relevant the extra information that you are putting on your resume and whether it is worth breaking the one page barrier.

As mentioned, your publications, speaking engagements and academic honors are very relevant. I am not really big on including interests, EC's etc. but if you are going over 1pg. anyway, as someone else mentioned you should shoot for 1.5-2 pgs.

Best of luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”