How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
osalinas44
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am

How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby osalinas44 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:12 am

Is it reliable??? I was looking at different people's stats and on some people were saying that the stats they posted were not actually thier true stats? So, how reliable is LawSchool Numbers in the end??? Why would people not post thier real stats? It seems pointless to fudge your stats. Right???

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am

osalinas44 wrote:Is it reliable??? I was looking at different people's stats and on some people were saying that the stats they posted were not actually thier true stats? So, how reliable is LawSchool Numbers in the end??? Why would people not post thier real stats? It seems pointless to fudge your stats. Right???


LSN is not to be really examined on an individual applicant level because of the possibility of inaccurate numbers. Instead, LSN should be looked at as a whole on the school level to see general trends.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 am

They fudge their stats so adcoms can't identify them on the site. My set of numbers, for example, would be easily identifiable if I were to post the exact numbers. I guess the worry is that adcoms won't appreciate their inner workings being posted to teh intarwebz. They only fudge by a point on the LSAT and to the nearest tenth on GPA anyway, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Other people on there are flames - these are easy to tell. The black guy with a 152 who got into Yale, the guys who has a recommendation from Stephen Hawking, etc.

Other than that, no one knows how accurate it is, but there's no reason to think that it's not.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:17 am

The general consensus is that it's pretty accurate. Not 100% of it, but I think looking at the clusterings on graphs is very useful in determining if the school would accept you. Also, easy on the punctuation there, killer.

osalinas44
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby osalinas44 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:18 am

d34dluk3 wrote:They fudge their stats so adcoms can't identify them on the site. My set of numbers, for example, would be easily identifiable if I were to post the exact numbers. I guess the worry is that adcoms won't appreciate their inner workings being posted to teh intarwebz. They only fudge by a point on the LSAT and to the nearest tenth on GPA anyway, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Other people on there are flames - these are easy to tell. The black guy with a 152 who got into Yale, the guys who has a recommendation from Stephen Hawking, etc.

Other than that, no one knows how accurate it is, but there's no reason to think that it's not.


So adcoms patrol these websites?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 am

osalinas44 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:They fudge their stats so adcoms can't identify them on the site. My set of numbers, for example, would be easily identifiable if I were to post the exact numbers. I guess the worry is that adcoms won't appreciate their inner workings being posted to teh intarwebz. They only fudge by a point on the LSAT and to the nearest tenth on GPA anyway, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Other people on there are flames - these are easy to tell. The black guy with a 152 who got into Yale, the guys who has a recommendation from Stephen Hawking, etc.

Other than that, no one knows how accurate it is, but there's no reason to think that it's not.


So adcoms patrol these websites?

A bunch of them are on here.

osalinas44
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby osalinas44 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:They fudge their stats so adcoms can't identify them on the site. My set of numbers, for example, would be easily identifiable if I were to post the exact numbers. I guess the worry is that adcoms won't appreciate their inner workings being posted to teh intarwebz. They only fudge by a point on the LSAT and to the nearest tenth on GPA anyway, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Other people on there are flames - these are easy to tell. The black guy with a 152 who got into Yale, the guys who has a recommendation from Stephen Hawking, etc.

Other than that, no one knows how accurate it is, but there's no reason to think that it's not.


So adcoms patrol these websites?

A bunch of them are on here.


Seems like that would be the fun part of the adcoms job. Go on websites and see how many people obsess over law school addmissions. Funny. I've been having dreams that I am on this website in fact, this may be a dream. I don't remember how I got here. Do you???

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am

osalinas44 wrote:Seems like that would be the fun part of the adcoms job. Go on websites and see how many people obsess over law school addmissions. Funny. I've been having dreams that I am on this website in fact, this may be a dream. I don't remember how I got here. Do you???

Now that's just disturbing. You should get out more.

I think they're more concerned with finding out what the word on the street about their school is. There are always rumors circulating on here about certain schools, and knowing that lets them respond to what people are saying. I doubt they have time in their day to malevolently chuckle over our distress.

osalinas44
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby osalinas44 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:Seems like that would be the fun part of the adcoms job. Go on websites and see how many people obsess over law school addmissions. Funny. I've been having dreams that I am on this website in fact, this may be a dream. I don't remember how I got here. Do you???

Now that's just disturbing. You should get out more.

I think they're more concerned with finding out what the word on the street about their school is. There are always rumors circulating on here about certain schools, and knowing that lets them respond to what people are saying. I doubt they have time in their day to malevolently chuckle over our distress.


Yeah I know I was trying to make an allusion to the movie Inception. Good Movie you should see it.

User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Anyone know when they're updating for the 2010-2011 cycle?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:46 pm

1. It is the most helpful tool there is for finding out your chances, seeing what kind of potential money you can get, and helping you decide where to apply and/or ED.
2. I always find it strange that people are so worried about adcomms outing you. I can understand being fearful of employers, but not adcomms. I am pretty sure WUSTL and UIUC know who I am and most others could easily figure it out if they tried, and it didn't hurt my cycle at all.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:1. It is the most helpful tool there is for finding out your chances, seeing what kind of potential money you can get, and helping you decide where to apply and/or ED.
2. I always find it strange that people are so worried about adcomms outing you. I can understand being fearful of employers, but not adcomms. I am pretty sure WUSTL and UIUC know who I am and most others could easily figure it out if they tried, and it didn't hurt my cycle at all.

Given that I've:

- mocked specific adcoms
- mocked specific professors
- said racist things to be funny
- said sexist things to be funny
- said generally insensitive things to be funny

I'd really prefer that they not connect the dots.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I spend most of my posts on here dishing out explanations on the basics of the admissions process. Worst case impression is that I have too much free time on my hands.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby KibblesAndVick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:48 pm

I think that even if they have a pretty good guess as to who you are they can't be certain. And if they aren't certain it makes it hard to hold it against you. Are they really going to deny Applicant X admissions to their law school based on the suspicion that they might be Racist Troll X from TLS?

Understandably some people would rather avoid the issue to begin with but I think they would have to be able to very clearly identify you.

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby username99 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Hello Adcoms!!!!!!

User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Kswizzie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 pm

On a note not pertaining to adcomms on TLS, I don't really put that much stock into LSN. Though I agree that it is one of the better tools to use, it still leaves a lot to be desired. I generally shy away from things that are self-reported on the internet, because people like to lie about themselves (to themselves) on the internet and they don't need a reason to do it.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Kswizzie wrote:On a note not pertaining to adcomms on TLS, I don't really put that much stock into LSN. Though I agree that it is one of the better tools to use, it still leaves a lot to be desired. I generally shy away from things that are self-reported on the internet, because people like to lie about themselves (to themselves) on the internet and they don't need a reason to do it.


It seems that on the whole LSN is actually by far the most reliable indicator you can find about law school applications. Just comparing the statistics between schools reported applicant data and the self-reported data on LSN over the past several cycles it seems like the majority on LSN is accurate.

Further, many TLS posters both have accurate data on LSN (I do under another name) and/ or have confirmed the outcome of their cycles to be most closely predicted by LSN.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Many applicants will fudge their numbers while decisions are pending, but will correctly update stats after all is said and done. I was slightly guilty of this myself.

And yes, Adcomms patrol this site. Yale's Admissions Dean Asha called out a few people last cycle (why not me?!?!).

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:18 am

acrossthelake wrote:I spend most of my posts on here dishing out explanations on the basics of the admissions process. Worst case impression is that I have too much free time on my hands.


Same. I think I may have said something uncouth here or there, but for the most part I am pretty safe on TLS. I'm definitely easy identifiable, but I don't stress about it too much, although it has crossed my mind from time to time. Also, another thing they could see is my crappy PS drafts and ding me for not producing a masterpiece on my first draft :mrgreen:.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Many applicants will fudge their numbers while decisions are pending, but will correctly update stats after all is said and done. I was slightly guilty of this myself.

And yes, Adcomms patrol this site. Yale's Admissions Dean Asha called out a few people last cycle (why not me?!?!).


I think Desert Fox got implicitly called out for his BP thread haha.

Edit: Offtopic, is anyone else having trouble logging into LSN? My first account got an error and won't let me log in, and same with my second. I might have to give up and not have a LSN profile if this doesn't get fixed.

Here we go, Dean Asha herself (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... wered.aspx):

So, rather than do a traditional "Ask Asha" post this round, I thought I would answer some of the questions -- and correct some of the off-base answers -- which have been circulating in the online forums. Yes, we do read them. And yes, it's not hard to figure out who some of you are. Please be on your best cyber behavior. (And by the way, you guys have way too much time on your hands.)


The following people get questions answered:
r6_philly
crackberry
Pausanias
notanumber
Ben J

Along with numerous people in the comments.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 am

i can see the harm being notable on TLS, but whats the prob with LSN? i dont use the same name on LSN, and could be prob easily found through my numbers, but whats the harm? all they can see if where you are getting in and where you arent..

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 am

Barbie wrote:i can see the harm being notable on TLS, but whats the prob with LSN? i dont use the same name on LSN, and could be prob easily found through my numbers, but whats the harm? all they can see if where you are getting in and where you arent..


Well if you have the same user name as TLS you're pretty identifiable. Unfortunately for me I have my exact numbers on my LSN profile w/ my TLS username, but LSN has my locked out of that profile :lol:. Oh well.

I've posted my numbers openly here enough times that it wouldn't be hard to find them anyways.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 am

i'm on there but it says im 09-10 cycle. wrong.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:26 am

Knockglock wrote:The following people get questions answered:
r6_philly
crackberry
Pausanias
notanumber
Ben J

I feel honored that I have met three of those individuals :D

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: How reliable is LawSchool Numbers???

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:The following people get questions answered:
r6_philly
crackberry
Pausanias
notanumber
Ben J

I feel honored that I have met three of those individuals :D


The power of Asha. She answers someone's question and instantly they're a celebrity :P. Btw Asha, if you're reading this, I just want to say your incredible good looks are only surpassed by your vibrant personality :wink:.

Edit: had to fix a you're/your mistake; I didn't want Asha to auto-ding me :lol:
Last edited by Knock on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dondraper88, UghNonAmus and 4 guests