Schools give you a decision before you graduate UG?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BobbyDigital

Schools give you a decision before you graduate UG?

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:38 am

Forgive me if this question has been overly asked, (couldn't find it) or maybe it's just overly obvious.

Since it's not uncommon for UG students to apply to law school a semester or two before graduating, applying early shouldn't be an issue, but what about getting a decision while these credits are still pending? Anyone know how this affects whether admissions will hold off on your file until all of your transcripts are in? If anyone has experience with this as to how schools treated your file, please share.

kazu

Re: Schools give you a decision before you graduate UG?

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 am

Admissions will not hold off on your file/not give a decision until all your transcripts are in. They will accept you if you are expected to graduate before the class starts (Aug/Sep). If you don't graduate for some reason, you just won't be able to enter LS.

Not completely sure if they revoke their acceptance, or if they defer you, but getting a decision doesn't matter.

4llin

Postby 4llin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:03 am

Agree with the above as this was my situation - I applied in Fall Qtr. of my final year of undergrad and will be starting LS this fall.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Great, thanks. I'm assuming, though, adcomm would rather leave less to chance and applicants should complete UG by Fall or Spring. What do you think, is a summer course a big deal?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:Great, thanks. I'm assuming, though, adcomm would rather leave less to chance and applicants should complete UG by Fall or Spring. What do you think, is a summer course a big deal?

WTF are you talking about?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:Great, thanks. I'm assuming, though, adcomm would rather leave less to chance and applicants should complete UG by Fall or Spring. What do you think, is a summer course a big deal?

The fact that you have a Cooley avatar and are asking the weirdest and most overthought question ever. FLAME!!!

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Being in undergrad holds no negative stigma whatsoever to admissions committees. This would include summer school. I would say a majority, if not an overwhelming majority of students apply to law school while they are in their senior year.

Dumb thread is dumb.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm

merichard87 wrote:

The fact that you have a Cooley avatar and are asking the weirdest and most overthought question ever. FLAME!!!

yah bud, not sure why you're more worried about calling people out as a flaaame, than answering questions. As for over thought questions, well half of this forum is people asking "over thought" questions, most of which are good questions to consider and understand.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:
merichard87 wrote:

yah bud, not sure why you're more worried about calling people out as a flaaame, than answering questions. As for over thought questions, well half of this forum is people asking "over thought" questions, most of which are good questions to consider and understand.

Actually, he has a point. Why on earth would you have a Cooley avatar if you weren't a flame?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:
merichard87 wrote:

Actually, he has a point. Why on earth would you have a Cooley avatar if you weren't a flame?

Another victim of the Cooley top law school list.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm

CastleRock wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

Would adcomm prefer an applicant with little to no units to complete, over an applicant who still had 3 full semesters to complete ie: having to complete courses up until the week before law school starts. Seems like a reasonable question.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

haha jesuuuus, i'll chance the pic. But if we judged posts based on avatars this whole site would be circus.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Actually, he has a point. Why on earth would you have a Cooley avatar if you weren't a flame?

Let's try this again...

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:haha jesuuuus, i'll chance the pic. But if we judged posts based on avatars this whole site would be circus.

Just sayin'. If you take the number of flames that come through this site vs. The number of cooley students who proudley display the school logo on their avatar.the odds of your legitimacy are not great.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

fair enough :wink:

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:

First, I'm a girl.

Secondly, this question is waaaay too overthought. I'm pretty sure there are more people coming straight out of UG applying to law school than those who have already graduated. Also, law schools care too much about their medians to care whether you are fresh out of UG or not. I doubt there are enough people who fail clases and can't graduate on time (after applying and being accepted to law school) for this to be a concern to law schools.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

merichard87 wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:

First, I'm a girl.

Secondly, this question is waaaay too overthought. I'm pretty sure there are more people coming straight out of UG applying to law school than those who have already graduated. Also, law schools care too much about their medians to care whether you are fresh out of UG or not. I doubt there are enough people who fail clases and can't graduate on time (after applying and being accepted to law school) for this to be a concern to law schools.

Sorry about the boy/girl confusion.

About more peeps applying straight out of UG--this is false, though may have been the case 10 years ago.

Also just received word that it doesn't make a big difference, but like you said schools are worried about medians and the number of seats they're offering out. With that said, if adcomm is faced with two students with similar stats, maybe stats that include somewhat inconsistent grades, it would be prudent for adcomm to offer a seat to the student with fewer courses left to complete. So, while this may seem waaayyy too over thought, it's reality.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:
merichard87 wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:

First, I'm a girl.

Sorry about the boy/girl confusion.

About more peeps applying straight out of UG--this is false, though may have been the case 10 years ago.

Also just received word that it doesn't make a big difference, but like you said schools are worried about medians and the number of seats they're offering out. With that said, if adcomm is faced with two students with similar stats, maybe stats that include somewhat inconsistent grades, it would be prudent for adcomm to offer a seat to the student with fewer courses left to complete. So, while this may seem waaayyy too over thought, it's reality.

Umm.. still don't know if your a flame or not.. but anyways the only GPA that matters is the one you have at the time you are applying. This is the one they will report as schools and LSAC won't update your GPA once you graduate.. in fact unless you send in another transcript to LSAC your GPA used for applications is usually just your first 3 years. (if you apply early)

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:30 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:Sorry about the boy/girl confusion.

You would never have two applicants so similar that this would be the only way to differentiate them.

And it wouldn't matter, anyway.

BobbyDigital

Postby BobbyDigital » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Nom, I realize people tend to be flamephobic until a member has posted 2500 times, there's a lot of kooks on here, what can I say.

That's an interesting fact though, I guess I was under the impression that the final reported GPA takes into account the final transcripts sent in too. Thanks again.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:Nom, I realize people tend to be flamephobic until a member has posted 2500 times, there's a lot of kooks on here, what can I say.

That's an interesting fact though, I guess I was under the impression that the final reported GPA takes into account the final transcripts sent in too. Thanks again.

No problem, I don't usually call flame on people with few posts.. just few posts + a giant Cooley tar is a tad suspicious :D .

Anyways yeah, because of the way the GPA is calculated, a lot of people advocate for putting your hardest classes in your last semester of senior year... so they won't affect your GPA before you apply

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:Nom, I realize people tend to be flamephobic until a member has posted 2500 times, there's a lot of kooks on here, what can I say.

No problem, I don't usually call flame on people with few posts.. just few posts + a giant Cooley tar is a tad suspicious :D .

Anyways yeah, because of the way the GPA is calculated, a lot of people advocate for putting your hardest classes in your last semester of senior year... so they won't affect your GPA before you apply

Chyea. Cooley is the butt of a lot of jokes here. It screams flame, intentional or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”