Choices

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Choices

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:31 am

My plan, as usual, is to request that two professors write me a recommendation. One individual is a professor who I have taken one course with, but who is working with me on my thesis and a paper I'm writing as a student fellow for an organization. The other professor is my adviser, but I will have only taken a few months of con law with him by the time I apply. My school is a small liberal arts institution so I know both gentlemen fairly well.

I was thinking of maybe subbing in the Dean of Students to write me a recommendation instead of the latter professor.
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Choices

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 am

Choose the ones that know your potential best.

User avatar
SullaFelix
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Choices

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 am

ksimon2007 wrote:My plan, as usual, is to request that two professors write me a recommendation. One individual is a professor who I have taken one course with, but who is working with me on my thesis and a paper I'm writing as a student fellow for an organization. The other professor is my adviser, but I will have only taken a few months of con law with him by the time I apply. My school is a small liberal arts institution so I know both gentlemen fairly well.

I was thinking of maybe subbing in the Dean of Students to write me a recommendation instead of the latter professor.

-Ken


Really, you'd know best. Just go with who you think would have the best insights on you as a student.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Choices

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:00 am

The Dean of Students knows me as a leader outside of the classroom. He has never taught a class to me. However, I was involved in the leadership society he runs and I often consult him in my position as Student Body President.

User avatar
thepunisher24
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Choices

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 am

Why are you limiting yourself to only two LORs? I only used two, but IIRC, most schools allow up to four.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Choices

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 am

thepunisher24 wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to only two LORs? I only used two, but IIRC, most schools allow up to four.


Well you bring up a good point. I just wonder if more than two recommendations might be seen as a bit much.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Choices

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 am

You're right. Sending three instead of two is an instant reject most places.

/ns

User avatar
thepunisher24
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Choices

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to only two LORs? I only used two, but IIRC, most schools allow up to four.


Well you bring up a good point. I just wonder if more than two recommendations might be seen as a bit much.


Honestly, just go with whoever you think truly knows you the best and can speak highly of you in an intelligent manner. LORs most likely be the deal breaker, as long as your recommender doesn't rip you in their letter.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests