Dismissed from LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrbakinsoda

Dismissed from LS

Postby mrbakinsoda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Hello guys,

So I was dismissed from Law School, a Tier 1 in SoCal, for not being able to fully pay my tuition on time (Family problems). At first, the school was considerate enough to put me on a leave of absence, but it was not enough time to be able to get a job, and pay off the entire outstanding balance. So, I was dismissed from the LS and told that if I wanted to come back once my balance was paid, I would have to re-apply as a 1L.

I found a job. I am making payments. and I want to return to LS part-time.

Is there any way to re-apply to another LS without having access to an official LS transcript? I have looked at their websites and I definitely do not fall under the transfer student category. I have to re-apply as a 1L. So even if I get my official transcript, they will not give me credit for any of the courses. Did I fail to mention I finished my 1L? Oh, and that I never really got around to register with the State Bar. So they have no record of me ever attending a LS.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Miracle

Re: Dismissed from LS

Postby Miracle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 pm

u can get dismissed from school if you don't pay your balance?

lsathelp

Postby lsathelp » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Wow! I wish i could offer some insight. Sorry to hear that op.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Ever heard of loans?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm

mrbakinsoda wrote:Hello guys,

So I was dismissed from Law School, a Tier 1 in SoCal, for not being able to fully pay my tuition on time (Family problems). At first, the school was considerate enough to put me on a leave of absence, but it was not enough time to be able to get a job, and pay off the entire outstanding balance. So, I was dismissed from the LS and told that if I wanted to come back once my balance was paid, I would have to re-apply as a 1L.

I found a job. I am making payments. and I want to return to LS part-time.

Is there any way to re-apply to another LS without having access to an official LS transcript? I have looked at their websites and I definitely do not fall under the transfer student category. I have to re-apply as a 1L. So even if I get my official transcript, they will not give me credit for any of the courses. Did I fail to mention I finished my 1L? Oh, and that I never really got around to register with the State Bar. So they have no record of me ever attending a LS.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I would say what were you thinking, but that's milk under the bridge at this point.

I think that they can't get away with this. They should have to either accept you back with the credits or issue you a transcript (once you pay off the outstanding amount of course). I would appeal to the Dean of Students, carefully research the rules/laws that apply, and get an attorney if necessary.

Also, you have a lot of leverage - if they don't agree to do one of these two things, you have no reason to pay their outstanding account. I think pointing this out tactfully (very, very tactfully) would be a good last resort.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:Ever heard of loans?

To be fair, some religions prohibit paying interest...although there are apparently ways around it.

camstant

Postby camstant » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 am

Always Credited wrote:To be fair, some religions prohibit paying interest...although there are apparently ways around it.

Wait...really?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 am

Almost certain that you must pay your tuition & fees bill or you may have serious problems with the bar & with your credit rating. There is no indication that you are disputing the validity of the debt, you just don't like the consequences of not paying.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 am

Always Credited wrote:

To be fair, some religions prohibit paying interest...although there are apparently ways around it.

The fact that we live in the 21st century should suffice.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 am

This is crazy. Why didn't you get a loan?

lsathelp

Postby lsathelp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:47 am

lawman2010 wrote:This is crazy. Why didn't you get a loan?

+1

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:52 am

DeSimone wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

I'm pretty sure religion still exists in the 21st century. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

lawchampion

Postby lawchampion » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 am

lsathelp wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:This is crazy. Why didn't you get a loan?

+1

Unbelievable.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 am

Always Credited wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

I'm pretty sure religion still exists in the 21st century. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think we all want to know which religion prohibits one from paying interest on a loan.

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 am

jay115 wrote:
I think we all want to know which religion prohibits one from paying interest on a loan.

Islam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 am

weaselology wrote:
jay115 wrote:

So all Muslim law students graduate law school without debt? Perhaps all aspiring law students should become Muslim...

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:38 am

jay115 wrote:
weaselology wrote:
jay115 wrote:

So all Muslim law students graduate law school without debt? Perhaps all aspiring law students should become Muslim...

I have no idea what Muslim students as a group do. I'm sure some don't strictly adhere to Sharia and take out loans for which they pay interest. Read up on Islamic finance though; they have creative methods to create profit for banks/lending entities that do not technically use interest. Further, this is not a phenomenon exclusive to Islam; Judaism and Christianity (as espoused in the Old Testament) bar the concept of usury which, in its ancient meaning, was the charging or paying of interest.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 am

jay115 wrote:I think we all want to know which religion prohibits one from paying interest on a loan.

Actually, a strict reading of the text of most major religions bans it. Christianity is no exception.
Exodus 22:25 - If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury. KJB.

Deuteronomy 23:19-20 - 19Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury:

20Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

It so happens that my RA work has me writing on the subject.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 am

weaselology wrote:
jay115 wrote:
weaselology wrote:
jay115 wrote:

I have no idea what Muslim students as a group do. I'm sure some don't strictly adhere to Sharia and take out loans for which they pay interest. Read up on Islamic finance though; they have creative methods to create profit for banks/lending entities that do not technically use interest. Further, this is not a phenomenon exclusive to Islam; Judaism and Christianity (as espoused in the Old Testament) bar the concept of usury which, in its ancient meaning, was the charging or paying of interest.

One Muslim TLS poster is going to BLS for free to get around it.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 am

Aaaaaaand Always Credited has successfully derailed the thread. Congrats.

We should probably wait to hear if Mr. Bakinsoda is actually Muslim before debating banking practices as governed by Islam.

But yeah, basically Islamic banks get around the concept of interest by actually purchasing the object in question (or paying the tuition in this case), and selling it to the "borrower" at a profit calculated to beat inflation over a specific period of time. Then the borrower has to pay the bank back overtime in monthly installments over that specific time period. This method is high risk for the banks however, and thus they require large amounts of collateral, which Mr. Bakinsoda may not have.

...Damn you Always Credited, I walked right into it....

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:54 am

Always Credited wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

cute

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:01 am

Seriously? No one has called it? FLAME!

What school lets you matriculate without your tuition being paid in advance? Even if they would, how would he be on a leave of absence AND finish his 1L year? If he did finish his 1L year, he's be a transfer student not a 1L.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 am

Some religions do prohibit loans with interest, but quite a few people interpret that as "Don't issue loans with interest." Taking out loans with interest isn't considered to be immoral to these people. But like so many issues in religion, there is debate as to which interpretation is correct. (Hint: TCR is (E), None of the Above.)

Not sure what religion has to do with this thread though. OP never said he was Muslim and there is no reason to assume this situation occurred due to religious reasons.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am

romothesavior wrote:Some religions do prohibit loans with interest, but quite a few people interpret that as "Don't issue loans with interest." Taking out loans with interest isn't considered to be immoral to these people. But like so many issues in religion, there is debate as to which interpretation is correct. (Hint: TCR is (E), None of the Above.)

Not sure what religion has to do with this thread though. OP never said he was Muslim and there is no reason to assume this situation occurred due to religious reasons.

Religion came up bc people asked why didn't he pull loans to cover the cost of school instead of dropping out - and someone suggested that loans might not be an option (ie. religion).

shoop

Postby shoop » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 am

camstant wrote:
Always Credited wrote:To be fair, some religions prohibit paying interest...although there are apparently ways around it.

Wait...really?

Yup. Google "shari'a compliant financing" to learn about some of the work-arounds for the Islamic prohibitions on usury/interest.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”