What's the deal with part time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

What's the deal with part time?

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Just out of curiousity, what is the deal with part time? I see on LSN sometimes people apply for part time at higher ranked schools, and full time for lower. How many years does it take for part time students to graduate and can you go from part time one year, to full time the next? And how many classes are taken per semester? Is it easier??

Sorry, I don't know anything apparently.

Barbie

Re: What's the deal with part time?

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm

yoo hooooo?

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 pm

4 years for pt. Some schools let you transfer over to FT after your first year if you take summer classes. PT programs are historically easier to get into, but I've heard that trend may end this year because of how the US News calculates the statistics.

PT classes are usually limited to the evening at some schools.

Personally, if I had to, I wouldn't mind going PT my first year and then switching over because of the "lighter" load for 1L.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:17 pm

hey, I don't know specifics and stuff, but part time is usually 4 years, verses the normal 3, and yes most schools allow you to transfer to full time status as long as the first year grades are good.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:37 pm

merc280 wrote:hey, I don't know specifics and stuff, but part time is usually 4 years, verses the normal 3, and yes most schools allow you to transfer to full time status as long as the first year grades are good.

thanks. id really like to know some specifics! it seems like ill have to call a school and ask. :(

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Barbie wrote:
merc280 wrote:hey, I don't know specifics and stuff, but part time is usually 4 years, verses the normal 3, and yes most schools allow you to transfer to full time status as long as the first year grades are good.

thanks. id really like to know some specifics! it seems like ill have to call a school and ask. :(

If you have questions about specific schools, you can try asking them here. It might be quicker and/or more accurate than calling the schools themselves.

Random fact: At our school, if you transfer from PT to FT after your first year of PT, you cannot do Law Review, as you will not have all of the prerequisite 1L classes completed by the end of your first year, and you won't have the 4 semesters to commit to it once you do have the classes completed.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Connelly wrote:
Barbie wrote:

If you have questions about specific schools, you can try asking them here. It might be quicker and/or more accurate than calling the schools themselves.

Random fact: At our school, if you transfer from PT to FT after your first year of PT, you cannot do Law Review, as you will not have all of the prerequisite 1L classes completed by the end of your first year, and you won't have the 4 semesters to commit to it once you do have the classes completed.

What is law review? Is it worth it?

What constitutes a PT vs FT student?

What is the credit hour difference?

Is there significant financial aid differences?

Thanks!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Connelly wrote:
Barbie wrote:

law review = my goal in life :)

What is law review? Is it worth it?

What constitutes a PT vs FT student?

What is the credit hour difference?

Is there significant financial aid differences?

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”