LOR from recent Georgetown Alum, help much?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

LOR from recent Georgetown Alum, help much?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

My ED app to GULC looks like this as of now:

3.1 LSDAS GPA - Upward Grade Trend, top 50 public school, political science major
165 LSAT -Retaking it again in October and preparing to do better
4 LORs - 2 Academic, and 2 from the DC AG's office (1 of which is a GULC alum)
Georgetown-centered PS that I will be submitting to Essayedge or Revisionediting
Pretty good resume for a recent college grad - balance of internships and respectable work throughout college
Bilingual (arabic), first generation

So I know my numbers are kind of weak, but I'm hoping to improve my LSAT in October. If I don't improve, do I still stand a good chance of gaining admission for the PT program? Will the standards continue to be lower to get into the PT program
than FT? Does the LOR from the GULC alum help much? Or the fact that I lived in DC for 4 months?

Knock

Re: LOR from recent Georgetown Alum, help much?

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:56 pm

andyman wrote:My ED app to GULC looks like this as of now:

3.1 LSDAS GPA - Upward Grade Trend, top 50 public school, political science major
Georgetown-centered PS that I will be submitting to Essayedge or Revisionediting
Pretty good resume for a recent college grad - balance of internships and respectable work throughout college

So I know my numbers are kind of weak, but I'm hoping to improve my LSAT in October. If I don't improve, do I still stand a good chance of gaining admission for the PT program? Will the standards continue to be lower to get into the PT program
than FT? Does the LOR from the GULC alum help much? Or the fact that I lived in DC for 4 months?

The LOR from the GULC alum doesn't really help much, not does the fact that you lived in DC for 4 months. All that matters really is numbers. Improve that LSAT. You should be able to get in the PT program easier than the FT program.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Knockglock wrote:
andyman wrote:My ED app to GULC looks like this as of now:

The LOR from the GULC alum doesn't really help much, not does the fact that you lived in DC for 4 months. All that matters really is numbers. Improve that LSAT. You should be able to get in the PT program easier than the FT program.

How much improvement are we talking about? LSN trends say around 167-169 with my numbers. Dean Cornblatt told us in person that he gives brownie points to GULC specific personal statements and ED applications.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 am

Bump

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:48 am

If you've already spoken to the Dean of Admissions, what more do you expect to learn on here? Raise your LSAT, you'll have a decent shot. Unfortunately, adcoms don't care about alumni LOR's or whether an applicant lived in a particular city for 120 days. G'luck.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am

As a recent Georgetown alum, I highly doubt a rec by me would really do much from an admissions standpoint. You need to get that LSAT up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 am

Raise the LSAT, period. Recs mean very little. You need a 170+ to have any shot at FT, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than a 170 even for PT. Your GPA is not good.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 am

170, you're in PT. 169, you could still get locked out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”