What should I do about LOR's?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
d34d9823

Re: What should I do about LOR's?

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 pm

naterj wrote:See I thought this too but I talked to a lot of people who said that they sent their requests via email. I was hesitant to do this but many professors are not around during the summer so you almost have to write an email.

Yeah, that's tough. On the other hand, the reason they're not around is because they're on 'sabbatical' which is professor-speak for vacation. Would YOU interrupt the never-ending parade of strippers, cocaine, and those little drinks with umbrellas to write some kid a letter?

At that point, I think you're better off waiting for them to get back. A good professor will not take more than a month. If they get back at the latest possible date, it will be like 8/10-8/15. You will still have your letter by the time the majority of apps start opening in mid-September.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 pm

I ended up asking a professor I had not planned to because I was worried that one wouldn't come through because of serious illness. Used e-mail and it seemed fine...asking in person would have required waiting until I got back in September. No other way to reach them, really.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 am

acrossthelake wrote:I ended up asking a professor I had not planned to because I was worried that one wouldn't come through because of serious illness. Used e-mail and it seemed fine...asking in person would have required waiting until I got back in September. No other way to reach them, really.

Yeah, as long as the email is professional and polite I think it's fine. Doing it in person is preferable but that's not always possible. And during the summer you really never know when a prof will be in their office / answering their phones.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39 am

Don't get hung up on any rules for LORs. Each person here will have a different relationship with potential recommenders. If e-mail feels comfortable given your relationship with a person, then it's fine. If not, then try something else, such as meeting in person.

The only general "rule" I can think of is to be respectful, but that should be the case in any professional interaction.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Well good news! I heard back from both of them this morning and they both said they would be happy to. The only thing is, one is out of town basically till the first day of class so Im gonna half to wait for his. He said he would write it that first night, the 24th of august and send it out the next day (maybe ill have him fax it). Is this considered late? My schools dont accept till october 1st so will this give me plenty of time to get them in on time? Am I freaking out!!!!!! Someone give me sympathy

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:Well good news! I heard back from both of them this morning and they both said they would be happy to. The only thing is, one is out of town basically till the first day of class so Im gonna half to wait for his. He said he would write it that first night, the 24th of august and send it out the next day (maybe ill have him fax it). Is this considered late? My schools dont accept till october 1st so will this give me plenty of time to get them in on time? Am I freaking out!!!!!! Someone give me sympathy

It's completely, 100% fine.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

thank god

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Im going through the same situation, I just emailed 3 of my professors whom Ive had A's in, and they all said they would gladly do it. However I am a bit confused about the actual process of the LOR's through LSAC... I have to get a form and give it to the professors, and from the professors the LOR's directly to the LSAC and further to the schools I am applying to Im guessing?

Im taking the lsat in october, so I dont think it would be wise to apply just yet... most of my schools have "early" deadlines by january anyways so I think id be safe

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”