What should I do about LOR's?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoBroncos22!

What should I do about LOR's?

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:13 pm

I emailed my profs of choice a few days ago, and I dont know if they dont check their email during summer break of what, but I have yet to get any responses and I am kinda freaking out, as I wanted to get them before summer is over and sent into LSAC asap. I have extremely good relations with these I chose, I got A's in all their classes, so I assume they wouldnt just ignore me....if they do, then they can go eff themselves. What should I do, im freaking out. How long does it normally take for LSAC to proccess the LOR's before you can have them sent out? I am planning on applying on the very first date of each schools opening so I want to figure this out ASAP. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Eric475

Re: What should I do about LOR's?

Postby Eric475 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I feel like there's plenty of time and you're freaking out for no reason.

I could be wrong though

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:21 pm

when your profs reply ask them to fax the lors, it will be so much faster than regular mail.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:21 pm

You waited a little late to start the process but I think you could be fine if your recommenders are extremely efficient. Their work load is most likely about to pick up tremendously so you must really stress the deadline. You could either wait it out or try to see them in person. I suggest the latter.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:36 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:I emailed my profs of choice a few days ago, and I dont know if they dont check their email during summer break of what, but I have yet to get any responses and I am kinda freaking out, as I wanted to get them before summer is over and sent into LSAC asap. I have extremely good relations with these I chose, I got A's in all their classes, so I assume they wouldnt just ignore me....if they do, then they can go eff themselves. What should I do, im freaking out. How long does it normally take for LSAC to proccess the LOR's before you can have them sent out? I am planning on applying on the very first date of each schools opening so I want to figure this out ASAP. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I believe the most likely explanation is that your name is one among many on a list of whom to ignore for recommendation requests, which has been forwarded among university professors across the country, and that your professors are just following the lead of their peers.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

lol. you really need to chill the f out.

yes, professors go on vacation and it's the summertime. it's only been a few days? give it a couple of weeks then try some others...you have plenty of time.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:50 pm

I emailed a TA on Sunday, got a delightful response today. Give them time, even if they read your response they are more than likely just taking their time.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:52 pm

I've always been under the impression in my social circles that it's considered good etiquette to give LOR writers at least 3 months notice before your intended due date. If you wanted the LOR done before summer was over, then you should've asked them to write them for you before you left for summer vacation. Professors are people too--they vacation and take time off from e-mail as well. At this point, I would just make sure to tell your profs about the faxing option so it will be quicker, but other than that, I feel like pressuring them to get it done this month is poor form. It's not vital that you get apps in the first day they open.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I've always been under the impression in my social circles that it's considered good etiquette to give LOR writers at least 3 months notice before your intended due date. If you wanted the LOR done before summer was over, then you should've asked them to write them for you before you left for summer vacation. Professors are people too--they vacation and take time off from e-mail as well. At this point, I would just make sure to tell your profs about the faxing option so it will be quicker, but other than that, I feel like pressuring them to get it done this month is poor form. It's not vital that you get apps in the first day they open.

3 months?! I would say 2 months tops. The person may forget about the letter in 3 months or lose a little bit of interest in writing it. A LOR should not be that hard for a professor to write.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 pm

andyman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I've always been under the impression in my social circles that it's considered good etiquette to give LOR writers at least 3 months notice before your intended due date. If you wanted the LOR done before summer was over, then you should've asked them to write them for you before you left for summer vacation. Professors are people too--they vacation and take time off from e-mail as well. At this point, I would just make sure to tell your profs about the faxing option so it will be quicker, but other than that, I feel like pressuring them to get it done this month is poor form. It's not vital that you get apps in the first day they open.

3 months?! I would say 2 months tops. The person may forget about the letter in 3 months or lose a little bit of interest in writing it. A LOR should not be that hard for a professor to write.

I just think it's more polite. Professors are often incredibly busy people, at least the ones I'm dealing with. It's not so much how hard it is to write, but finding the free time to do it, and infringing upon their time to ask them to do you a favour. I don't think it's necessarily bad if you go under the 3 months, it's just, as I said, more polite. Still, with apps opening up Sept 1st, August is too late to demand it in by then.

ETA: So for me personally...I had one prof offer to write one last September, another this February, and I e-mailed another to ask in June. *shrug*

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
andyman wrote:

I just think it's more polite. Professors are often incredibly busy people, at least the ones I'm dealing with. It's not so much how hard it is to write, but finding the free time to do it, and infringing upon their time to ask them to do you a favour. I don't think it's necessarily bad if you go under the 3 months, it's just, as I said, more polite. Still, with apps opening up Sept 1st, August is too late to demand it in by then.

ETA: So for me personally...I had one prof offer to write one last September, another this February, and I e-mailed another to ask in June. *shrug*

It is a professor's professional duty to write you a letter if you deserve one. Don't make it sound like you have to kiss their ass for one. Yes, they are taking time out of their schedule to write you a letter, but writing deserving students letters of recommendation is part of the job.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 pm

andyman wrote:
It is a professor's professional duty to write you a letter if you deserve one. Don't make it sound like you have to kiss their ass for one. Yes, they are taking time out of their schedule to write you a letter, but writing deserving students letters of recommendation is part of the job.

I just don't tend to take that viewpoint that it's their "duty" therefore I "deserve" one. I just see them as people that I'm asking for a favour from. Not saying kiss their ass, but it's to one's own advantage to give them time so that they don't do it in a rush and to not seem demanding with their request.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:33 pm

andyman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
andyman wrote:

If it's part of the job, then it's a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

It's a courtesy, not an obligation, for the professor. And regardless, why wouldn't you just by default be polite? They're helping you out, show the proper respect.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:35 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
andyman wrote:

I just don't tend to take that viewpoint that it's their "duty" therefore I "deserve" one. I just see them as people that I'm asking for a favour from. Not saying kiss their ass, but it's to one's own advantage to give them time so that they don't do it in a rush and to not seem demanding with their request.

You don't "deserve" a letter unless you deserve one. That means that if you were a standout student, and you ask your professor for a letter, then they should not have a problem with writing you one. I'm taking account that you had some kind of positive personal relationship with the teacher as well.

I took the pussy approach to asking one professor who LOVED me - that is no exaggeration - for a letter last year. When it came time to request a letter from her, I was super nice, and super sensitive, and she ignored my email probably because I wasn't firm and confident. This was 5 months before I needed the letter.

Although I agree that it is DEFINITELY important to give them ample time to write the letter, I also think that giving them too much time can backfire. And no one is talking about "demanding" a letter. If you don't give the professor at least a month, then you better have an explanation for why you're asking with such short notice.

Then again, everything works, so this argument is really pointless.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 pm

SullaFelix wrote:It's a courtesy, not an obligation, for the professor. And regardless, why wouldn't you just by default be polite? They're helping you out, show the proper respect.

Once again, this has nothing to do with being polite, its about being professional. Yes, an essence of politeness is recommended, of course, but don't give the impression that you're a wanker either. They should admire you when it's all said and done.
Last edited by jdhopeful11 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

andyman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
andyman wrote:

You don't "deserve" a letter unless you deserve one. That means that if you were a standout student, and you ask your professor for a letter, then they should not have a problem with writing you one. I'm taking account that you had some kind of positive personal relationship with the teacher as well.

I took the pussy approach to asking one professor who LOVED me - that is no exaggeration - for a letter last year. When it came time to request a letter from her, I was super nice, and super sensitive, and she ignored my email probably because I wasn't firm and confident. This was 5 months before I needed the letter.

Although I agree that it is DEFINITELY important to give them ample time to write the letter, I also think that giving them too much time can backfire. And no one is talking about "demanding" a letter. If you don't give the professor at least a month, then you better have an explanation for why you're asking with such short notice.

Then again, everything works, so this argument is really pointless.

You know, you're allowed to follow up. Especially if you're expecting them to keep an e-mail in the back of their mind for 5 months.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39 pm

SullaFelix wrote:You know, you're allowed to follow up. Especially if you're expecting them to keep an e-mail in the back of their mind for 5 months.

I've never been a fan of doing that, but you're definitely right about following up.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 pm

My model is basically
1) Ask early
2) But expect to have to follow up because it was early.

*All* of mine asked me to remind them at some point, and told me to feel free to send them several reminders. And yes, I just feel like if you were a good student and you have a good personal relationship with them, then you should show the respect of giving them notice in terms of time. I've taken this approach with every LOR I've ever needed and I've always gotten one---no problems with not being "firm" or "confident" and having them "ignore" me. You can be firm and confident and still early. Besides, I just think it's good to try to stay ahead of processes in general. Deadlines for different programs tend to be around the same time---ask in the Spring and get ahead in line of all the other ppl who will be asking over the summer.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 pm

I e-mailed my profs at the beginning of may and asked if they would be willing to write me a letter due in by August 1st. They said yes, and I set up 15-minute meetings with each of them before I left school for the summer to give them the form, res, and other info.

Got all of them in by july 30th.

I think it is wise/polite to give your recommends at least a few months - if you want a good letter. But 2.5-3 months is def plenty I think

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 pm

To get back to OP's original question - calm down. Have your profs fax the LORs instead of mailing them - faxed ones get processed in a couple of days, compared to mailed ones which can take over 2 weeks.

However, it's only been a few days. No need to panic now. Try to emphasize the deadline so that they won't take 2 months or something writing it.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm

I just got one of my requests rejected, she claimed she didn't know enough about me to write a letter. Well she didn't exactly say it in those words, she said she would be willing to write a letter but that our interactions had been very brief so I took the clue and made up an excuse as to why I didn't need her to write the letter after all. I work in a volunteer legal clinic with her on the weekends and I'm kind of pissed. I feel like she's just lazy and didn't want to be bothered but oh well what can you do.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:26 pm

naterj wrote:I just got one of my requests rejected, she claimed she didn't know enough about me to write a letter. Well she didn't exactly say it in those words, she said she would be willing to write a letter but that our interactions had been very brief so I took the clue and made up an excuse as to why I didn't need her to write the letter after all. I work in a volunteer legal clinic with her on the weekends and I'm kind of pissed. I feel like she's just lazy and didn't want to be bothered but oh well what can you do.

If she doesn't like you enough to "be bothered", you probably wouldn't have wanted what she could write about you anyway.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
naterj wrote:I just got one of my requests rejected, she claimed she didn't know enough about me to write a letter. Well she didn't exactly say it in those words, she said she would be willing to write a letter but that our interactions had been very brief so I took the clue and made up an excuse as to why I didn't need her to write the letter after all. I work in a volunteer legal clinic with her on the weekends and I'm kind of pissed. I feel like she's just lazy and didn't want to be bothered but oh well what can you do.

If she doesn't like you enough to "be bothered", you probably wouldn't have wanted what she could write about you anyway.

This is true, it's just that I don't have a lot of public interest contacts in my city of choice yet and I was hoping she could shed some light on my passion for public service/volunteer work since I'm trying to get into schools with strong PI programs. But like I said oh well.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 pm

I think a month is fine for notice. I get that professors are busy but after 2 weeks - 1 month they're more likely to forget it then suddenly free up time in their schedule.

Best approach, I think, is to give them a soft "would like it by" date and then follow up 1 or 2 weeks before the date.

Also, I think email is an incredibly bad idea. IMO, asking professionally = in person, preferably dressed professionally. If that's not possible, a professional phone call would be OK (I had to do this due to location).

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I think a month is fine for notice. I get that professors are busy but after 2 weeks - 1 month they're more likely to forget it then suddenly free up time in their schedule.

Best approach, I think, is to give them a soft "would like it by" date and then follow up 1 or 2 weeks before the date.

Also, I think email is an incredibly bad idea. IMO, asking professionally = in person, preferably dressed professionally. If that's not possible, a professional phone call would be OK (I had to do this due to location).

See I thought this too but I talked to a lot of people who said that they sent their requests via email. I was hesitant to do this but many professors are not around during the summer so you almost have to write an email.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”