Hispanic?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hannibal

Hispanic?

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:43 pm

I was doing an app for Columbia, and it asked this question:

Are you hispanic or latino? (Person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race)

I had never seen the hispanic question worded this way. I'm consider myself white, but I'm half Jewish and half Madeiran. Madeira is an island in the Atlantic, and the civilization is Portuguese. Portugal is a pretty heavily Spanish culture. Would that make me hispanic? Would it make me a URM?

manbearwig

Re: Hispanic?

Postby manbearwig » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Hannibal wrote:I was doing an app for Columbia, and it asked this question:

Are you hispanic or latino? (Person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race)

I had never seen the hispanic question worded this way. I'm consider myself white, but I'm half Jewish and half Madeiran. Madeira is an island in the Atlantic, and the civilization is Portuguese. Portugal is a pretty heavily Spanish culture. Would that make me hispanic? Would it make me a URM?

I have no idea if you'd be considered hispanic (though, I'm guessing no) but from what I've read, any URM bump only applies to Puerto Ricans and Mexican Americans.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Portugal ≠ Spain.

The question is very broadly worded to allow inclusion of all people who consider themselves Hispanic, but no, you are not one. That's way too much of a stretch.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 pm

England is also an island in the Atlantic.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Hispanic generally means of Spanish decent (i.e. being from Spain or one of the places it colonized). Thus Portugal and its colonies (i.e. Brazil) do not count as Hispanic.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm from Southern California... Its just about safe to say that I'm mexican at this point. Same with those from Arizona.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Hannibal wrote:I was doing an app for Columbia, and it asked this question:

Lusitanian ≠ Hispanic.

Better luck next time!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”