Part-time jobs on LS application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Part-time jobs on LS application

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Basically, I've worked a fair amount of part time jobs throughout UG to make ends meet. I honestly cannot perfectly remember when I began/ended each one, etc. They were all incredibly minor and temporary jobs. Is it bad to leave jobs off of the application? Do I need to dig up each job and remember exactly when I started/ended each one? Or is it acceptable to leave it blank?

bk1

Re: Part-time jobs on LS application

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Not bad to leave them off.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 pm

bk1 wrote:Not bad to leave them off.

Awesome, thanks. 1 more related question: I held a paid student position (sg president, vice president, treasurer are paid) on campus that required 10-20 hours a week... do I list this as part time employment, part time school, or both?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Awesome, thanks. 1 more related question: I held a paid student position (sg president, vice president, treasurer are paid) on campus that required 10-20 hours a week... do I list this as part time employment, part time school, or both?

I would put it in employment, but I'm sure either is valid, though don't do both. My reasoning would be it looks more like a commitment if it is under employment.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:Awesome, thanks. 1 more related question: I held a paid student position (sg president, vice president, treasurer are paid) on campus that required 10-20 hours a week... do I list this as part time employment, part time school, or both?

I would put it in employment, but I'm sure either is valid, though don't do both. My reasoning would be it looks more like a commitment if it is under employment.

Will do, thanks for the advice!

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 pm

I have one that is related.

I had a quite a few jobs back in college, but I never received a W-2 or 1040 or anything for them. I'm pretty sure they kept me off the books, so there would be no official record. Should I list them in my application though they won't show up no a credit report? Or, maybe better stated, would it adversely affect me if I listed them?

The jobs were for canvassing, dancing, and lobbying and stuff, so I'd like to list them since they showed I was working while in school.

tranquil

Postby tranquil » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

bump...

I'm in a similar boat regarding minor, short-term part time jobs several years ago in college. They were not substantive and I'd rather leave them off, but I don't want to "omit" anything.

Do we need to list these? I like bk87's advice, but would appreciate any more thoughts.

Thanks!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:06 pm

They only care about omitting things that they specifically ask you to disclose (i.e. arrests, traffic violations for some schools, academic probation, etc), not if you don't list your 3 weeks working as the fry cook at McDonald's.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Xnegd wrote:I have one that is related.

I had a quite a few jobs back in college, but I never received a W-2 or 1040 or anything for them. I'm pretty sure they kept me off the books, so there would be no official record. Should I list them in my application though they won't show up no a credit report? Or, maybe better stated, would it adversely affect me if I listed them?

The jobs were for canvassing, dancing, and lobbying and stuff, so I'd like to list them since they showed I was working while in school.

It isn't your fault that your employer didn't follow federal tax laws. Employees aren't obligated to press employers to do that stuff. This is of course assuming that you didn't make enough to pay income tax. If you are tax evading, that could get hairy I suppose.

tranquil

Postby tranquil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you for the advice bk1.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”