Optional Q's on App

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Optional Q's on App

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 am

On an application that asks "what other schools have you applied or planning to apply to?" What do you normally put? Do you answer the question, include only a handful? What is the purpose of the question, should I be putting reach schools in or target schools?

Also, an app asks for my parents name, address, phone number, and occupation. My dad is a manufacturing laborer and has a criminal record (so obviously this isn't impressive) and my mom is a homemaker. This is optional, I would otherwise omit it but in my personal statement I do discuss how I grew up in a household that didn't exactly encourage me attending college, so I may fill it out. But I'm afraid the school won't be impressed if they find out my dad has a record.

angiej

Re: Optional Q's on App

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

Please?

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:28 am

I would say disclose all the schools you are applying to. As for the purpose of the question, it is probably added to the app so the school can see what other schools you are interested in.

HTH

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:34 am

I didn't disclose every school I applied to- they give enough space for 4-6 and I applied to more than that. If I was concerned that a school would reject me because it was across the country and they assumed I wouldn't relocate then I included the other schools in the region. I included similarly ranked schools for the most part, otherwise.

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:06 pm

sibley wrote:I didn't disclose every school I applied to- they give enough space for 4-6 and I applied to more than that. If I was concerned that a school would reject me because it was across the country and they assumed I wouldn't relocate then I included the other schools in the region. I included similarly ranked schools for the most part, otherwise.

Okay, so if this is a T1 school, give other T1 schools, maybe even in the same region . . .but if its a T4 school, give other T4 schools, maybe even in the same region? It just seems nosy for them to ask. Ha!

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm

What school are you applying to? I'm trying to get a head start on my applications, but so far only William & Mary will let me start. I wish there was a list so when knew when schools apps opened.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:11 pm

angiej wrote:
sibley wrote:I didn't disclose every school I applied to- they give enough space for 4-6 and I applied to more than that. If I was concerned that a school would reject me because it was across the country and they assumed I wouldn't relocate then I included the other schools in the region. I included similarly ranked schools for the most part, otherwise.

Okay, so if this is a T1 school, give other T1 schools, maybe even in the same region . . .but if its a T4 school, give other T4 schools, maybe even in the same region? It just seems nosy for them to ask. Ha!

I think it's just for statistical information and doesn't have much say in their decision, but I wouldn't risk them assuming you won't attend. Even within T1 or T4. If you're applying to a school ranked 40th but also might be able to get into some schools in the 20-something range stay away from listing those ones. Especially if they're in a different region. But still give them as much information as possible... like if you apply to 12 schools and they give you space to list 4 others don't just put 1...

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Xnegd wrote:What school are you applying to? I'm trying to get a head start on my applications, but so far only William & Mary will let me start. I wish there was a list so when knew when schools apps opened.

I agree! I'm ready to go NOW! :lol:

Its John Marshall.

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 pm

sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:

I think it's just for statistical information and doesn't have much say in their decision, but I wouldn't risk them assuming you won't attend. Even within T1 or T4. If you're applying to a school ranked 40th but also might be able to get into some schools in the 20-something range stay away from listing those ones. Especially if they're in a different region. But still give them as much information as possible... like if you apply to 12 schools and they give you space to list 4 others don't just put 1...

Gotcha, this makes sense.

So what about the second part . . . asking about my parents.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:44 pm

angiej wrote:So what about the second part . . . asking about my parents.

Are you working your dad's criminal record into your PS? Or are you just saying your home environment wasn't big on education?
I don't think you should be worried about putting your parents' professions. My dad only graduated high school and I was glad to put that. It shows you're bringing a little diversity, that you're not just your average run-of-the-middle upper middle class white kid.

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:02 pm

sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:So what about the second part . . . asking about my parents.

Are you working your dad's criminal record into your PS? Or are you just saying your home environment wasn't big on education?
I don't think you should be worried about putting your parents' professions. My dad only graduated high school and I was glad to put that. It shows you're bringing a little diversity, that you're not just your average run-of-the-middle upper middle class white kid.

In my PS I don't discuss my dad's record but I talk about him not graduating h.s. and how he has worked in a factory for 30 years and that my mom was a homemaker. So in a sense, answering this question would echo my personal statement.

shoop

Postby shoop » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm

angiej wrote:Also, an app asks for my parents name, address, phone number, and occupation. My dad is a manufacturing laborer and has a criminal record (so obviously this isn't impressive) and my mom is a homemaker. This is optional, I would otherwise omit it but in my personal statement I do discuss how I grew up in a household that didn't exactly encourage me attending college, so I may fill it out. But I'm afraid the school won't be impressed if they find out my dad has a record.

The school is considering YOU for admission, not your dad. I come from a background where neither parent has a college degree and I figure that listing their distinctly blue-collar occupations on my applications might make MY accomplishments seem slightly more impressive than the same accomplishments would be for, say, the son of a lawyer and a doctor with a private school education and tons of family connections to exploit.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

shoop wrote:
angiej wrote:Also, an app asks for my parents name, address, phone number, and occupation. My dad is a manufacturing laborer and has a criminal record (so obviously this isn't impressive) and my mom is a homemaker. This is optional, I would otherwise omit it but in my personal statement I do discuss how I grew up in a household that didn't exactly encourage me attending college, so I may fill it out. But I'm afraid the school won't be impressed if they find out my dad has a record.

The school is considering YOU for admission, not your dad. I come from a background where neither parent has a college degree and I figure that listing their distinctly blue-collar occupations on my applications might make MY accomplishments seem slightly more impressive than the same accomplishments would be for, say, the son of a lawyer and a doctor with a private school education and tons of family connections to exploit.

yup. exactly. you have some diversity in this.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:47 pm

shoop wrote:

Good point . . . in that sense, I'm feeling lucky that they are asking, it gives me another opportunity to reflect this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”