Apply for 2011 or 2012? Advice appreciated.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goatness

Apply for 2011 or 2012? Advice appreciated.

Postby goatness » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:36 am

First time poster, but been reading this forum for a while now, appreciate all the insights on here so far.

My GPA is a 3.09, recent graduate of CMU, haven't taken the LSAT yet, but here are the two scenarios I am debating between, while keeping in mind that UVA is my dream school (a reach I know).

1) Apply for 2011, take the LSAT in December. Giving me three months to study and try to score above a 170+, while trying to prepare my application, PS, all in time for this round.

2) Apply for 2012, take the LSAT in Feb 2011 or June 2011 (more time to study and retake if necessary to boost LSAT), and have more time to get my applications ready and to apply ED to increase my chances since I am a splitter.

What do you guys think? I know UVA is a stretch but I've seen from this forum that splitters have an off chance at UVA.
Thanks in advance.

Knock

Re: Apply for 2011 or 2012? Advice appreciated.

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

goatness wrote:First time poster, but been reading this forum for a while now, appreciate all the insights on here so far.

My GPA is a 3.09, recent graduate of CMU, haven't taken the LSAT yet, but here are the two scenarios I am debating between, while keeping in mind that UVA is my dream school (a reach I know).

1) Apply for 2011, take the LSAT in December. Giving me three months to study and try to score above a 170+, while trying to prepare my application, PS, all in time for this round.

2) Apply for 2012, take the LSAT in Feb 2011 or June 2011 (more time to study and retake if necessary to boost LSAT), and have more time to get my applications ready and to apply ED to increase my chances since I am a splitter.

What do you guys think? I know UVA is a stretch but I've seen from this forum that splitters have an off chance at UVA.
Thanks in advance.

Depends on where you want to end up. You could always apply in 2011, and if you don't like where you get in, you can reapply in the 2012 cycle. I'm not sure what the magic number is for UVA splitters though, but I think it's pretty formulaic, if you can get a certain LSAT you're in. Personally, I wouldn't want to rush it, but it's definitely possible if you want 2011 bad enough. Why not start studying for the LSAT, and see where you are in a month or too. If you think a 170+ is a realistic shot, then proceed, if not hold off for 2012.

goatness

Postby goatness » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 am

Knockglock wrote:
goatness wrote:First time poster, but been reading this forum for a while now, appreciate all the insights on here so far.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on where you want to end up. You could always apply in 2011, and if you don't like where you get in, you can reapply in the 2012 cycle. I'm not sure what the magic number is for UVA splitters though, but I think it's pretty formulaic, if you can get a certain LSAT you're in. Personally, I wouldn't want to rush it, but it's definitely possible if you want 2011 bad enough. Why not start studying for the LSAT, and see where you are in a month or too. If you think a 170+ is a realistic shot, then proceed, if not hold off for 2012.

Yeah I think 170+ is realistic for me, just got to put in the work. Good point on applying 2011/2012 depending on the outcome. I forgot to mention that the main issue is that if I apply for 2011, I would have to put my current job search on hold to give myself the time needed to study/apply, and hope that everything goes well and work part time at a retail store or something. If I aim for 2012, I would most likely continue my job search and hope for employment FT, giving me more time to study in the long run but not as much time each day. Will admissions be turned off by my working at a retail or something if I choose to apply 2011?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 am

goatness wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I think 170+ is realistic for me, just got to put in the work. Good point on applying 2011/2012 depending on the outcome. I forgot to mention that the main issue is that if I apply for 2011, I would have to put my current job search on hold to give myself the time needed to study/apply, and hope that everything goes well and work part time at a retail store or something. If I aim for 2012, I would most likely continue my job search and hope for employment FT, giving me more time to study in the long run but not as much time each day. Will admissions be turned off by my working at a retail or something if I choose to apply 2011?

No not at all. While it isn't as good as say volunteering for a good cause or other jobs, it's definitely not going to hurt you. Adcomms understand that you got to pay the bills, and in this economy, any job is a good one, and no one is too good for any job. That does complicate your decision though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”