Double-Spacing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gendefect

Double-Spacing

Postby gendefect » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I've been reading here for a while, but finally decided to post. So I thought I'd start things off with a really stupid topic...

Some schools (like HLS) specify that your essay must be 2 pages double-spaced. I assume that when they say that they mean it, and will look down upon a 2-page 1.5-spaced essay, yes?

But what about those schools that don't specify? Is it okay to send a 2 page 1.5-spaced essay to those schools that simply ask for a 2-page essay (or maybe don't specify a length at all) or is that also a no-no?

I have an essay I think is really great that really gets across what I want to say, and I just can't pare it down any further without losing the sentiment I need to communicate.

Unrelated to the PS, what about other submissions, a diversity statement, an addendum, etc. Should those also be double-spaced? Should they be single-spaced? Or if I'm making my PS 1.5-spaced, should everything be 1.5-spaced?

Sorry for the anal-rententiveness, but I want everything to be up to snuff if possible. Thanks for the help!

dabbadon8

Re: Double-Spacing

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00 am

I am interested in this as well.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 am

I did 1.5 spacing for all applications. It didn't seem to affect my cycle in the slightest.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 am

gendefect wrote:I've been reading here for a while, but finally decided to post. So I thought I'd start things off with a really stupid topic...

Some schools (like HLS) specify that your essay must be 2 pages double-spaced. I assume that when they say that they mean it, and will look down upon a 2-page 1.5-spaced essay, yes?

But what about those schools that don't specify? Is it okay to send a 2 page 1.5-spaced essay to those schools that simply ask for a 2-page essay (or maybe don't specify a length at all) or is that also a no-no?

I have an essay I think is really great that really gets across what I want to say, and I just can't pare it down any further without losing the sentiment I need to communicate.

Unrelated to the PS, what about other submissions, a diversity statement, an addendum, etc. Should those also be double-spaced? Should they be single-spaced? Or if I'm making my PS 1.5-spaced, should everything be 1.5-spaced?

Sorry for the anal-rententiveness, but I want everything to be up to snuff if possible. Thanks for the help!

Everything should be double spaced. One of the skills of a writer is conciseness. In the eyes of adcomms, who read thousands upon thousands upon thousands of these, you are not so special you need longer than 2 pages double spaced to convey your intentions. People who have cured cancer while being a single mom and founding a nonprofit organization still manage to get their PS down to 2 pages double spaced.

If you're having trouble paring it down, post it in the personal statement forum. I'm sure one of the talented writers/editors there will be able to help you out, without sacrificing any strength of your essay.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 am

Knockglock wrote:
Everything should be double spaced. One of the skills of a writer is conciseness. In the eyes of adcomms, who read thousands upon thousands upon thousands of these, you are not so special you need longer than 2 pages double spaced to convey your intentions. People who have cured cancer while being a single mom and founding a nonprofit organization still manage to get their PS down to 2 pages double spaced.

If you're having trouble paring it down, post it in the personal statement forum. I'm sure one of the talented writers/editors there will be able to help you out, without sacrificing any strength of your essay.

Good idea. I'll give that a shot.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:28 am

gendefect wrote:I've been reading here for a while, but finally decided to post. So I thought I'd start things off with a really stupid topic...

Yes you can, and you'll have to do it all the time for legal writing class and as a lawyer so get used to it now.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

gendefect wrote:I just can't pare it down any further without losing the sentiment I need to communicate.
Yeah, for any given essay, there's about a 99 percent chance this is false.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 am

If you used two adjectives to describe a poignent, important, life-shaping event, make it one. For many flowery writers this is very helpful.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 am

gendefect wrote:Long-time lurker, first time poster. I assume that schools that specify a 2-page, double-spaced essay would frown upon a 2-page, 1.5 spaced essay. What about those schools that don't specify spacing? I have a strong essay and feel that I cannot pare it down further without sacrificing content. Should other submissions, such as a DS or an addendum, be double-spaced, or should they be formatted to parallel my personal statement? Thanks for the help!

DUC what i did there?

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:15 pm

smittytron3k wrote:
gendefect wrote:Long-time lurker, first time poster. I assume that schools that specify a 2-page, double-spaced essay would frown upon a 2-page, 1.5 spaced essay. What about those schools that don't specify spacing? I have a strong essay and feel that I cannot pare it down further without sacrificing content. Should other submissions, such as a DS or an addendum, be double-spaced, or should they be formatted to parallel my personal statement? Thanks for the help!

DUC what i did there?

Ha. Yes. Nice work. Clearly I have not yet embraced brevity into every facet of my being. :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”