Berkeley's Fall 2010 Medians Drop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jay115

Bronze

Re: Berkeley's Fall 2010 Medians Drop

Post by jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:10 pm

emilybeth wrote:Why are we talking about undergrad class size in a thread about Berkeley Law on a message board devoted to law school?
I was making the point that I think online classes, like the ones the Berk Law Dean desperately wants, reduces face-to-face interaction which IMO is really important for a variety of reasons. However, as Berkeley (UNDERGRADUATE) already has massive lecture classes, I was suggesting that Berkeley as a university does not consider face-to-face interaction important.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:14 pm

emilybeth wrote:Why are we talking about undergrad class size in a thread about Berkeley Law on a message board devoted to law school?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:15 pm

jay115 wrote:
I was making the point that I think online classes, like the ones the Berk Law Dean desperately wants, reduces face-to-face interaction which IMO is really important for a variety of reasons. However, as Berkeley (UNDERGRADUATE) already has massive lecture classes, I was suggesting that Berkeley as a university does not consider face-to-face interaction important.
UG is quite separate from LS.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

In case you didn't notice, it looks like Jay pretty much came in here to troll Berkeley.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Hannibal wrote:In case you didn't notice, it looks like Jay pretty much came in here to troll Berkeley.
Partially true. I also happen to go to a UC law school and happened to be worried about rising tuition costs. However, when a bunch of boalties happened to freak out when I suggested that Berkeley weather wasn't as beautiful as, say, in other parts of California - I thought I might as well keep the ball rolling and point out that Boalt might go the way of Kaplan and U Phoenix law online. That's all. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:17 am

jay115 wrote:I also happen to go to a UC law school...
...a UC law school with a higher bar passage rate than Berkeley, I might add. :)

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
jay115 wrote:I also happen to go to a UC law school...
...a UC law school with a higher bar passage rate than Berkeley, I might add. :)
Lol hopeful, lets not rock the boat further on this thread. Karma's a vindictive bitch, and UCLA could be the next stop on the online school guillotine express.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:11 am

jay115 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:In case you didn't notice, it looks like Jay pretty much came in here to troll Berkeley.
Partially true. I also happen to go to a UC law school and happened to be worried about rising tuition costs. However, when a bunch of boalties happened to freak out when I suggested that Berkeley weather wasn't as beautiful as, say, in other parts of California - I thought I might as well keep the ball rolling and point out that Boalt might go the way of Kaplan and U Phoenix law online. That's all. :)
Jealousy is an extremely attractive trait.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:55 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
I've heard that Berkeley has 600+ person lecture classes, and classes that size can't be conducive to learning either.
Why would a law school of ~900 have 600+ people in one lecture? That would mean that over 66% of the student body is taking the same class at once.

The Berkeley bashing in this thread has surpassed "merely uninformed" and is now approaching ridiculous. Not sure where it is coming from...
What are you talking about? At Berkeley they make you worship Satan and eat live baby bunnies in order to register for their 3000 person con law course. It's true. A friend of a friend's hairdresser's brother's psychic told me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:36 pm

masochist wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
I've heard that Berkeley has 600+ person lecture classes, and classes that size can't be conducive to learning either.
Why would a law school of ~900 have 600+ people in one lecture? That would mean that over 66% of the student body is taking the same class at once.

The Berkeley bashing in this thread has surpassed "merely uninformed" and is now approaching ridiculous. Not sure where it is coming from...
What are you talking about? At Berkeley they make you worship Satan and eat live baby bunnies in order to register for their 3000 person con law course. It's true. A friend of a friend's hairdresser's brother's psychic told me.
You know that psychic too?!?!?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm surprised that there is so much talk about the weather in this thread. This year is the year that everyone says a bunch of T14s will jump up in medians (due to more people being in the, say, top 2% for LSATs and more applicants overall--with higher grades than ever). Columbia and Penn both claim in their literature to waitlisted and admitted students that they have the best, most accomplished classes this year that they have ever put together (not sure if this is quite saying that they moved up medians, but I am pretty sure that this is implied). And here we see B dropping in medians. It's really shocking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”