October LSAT vs late applicaiton Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ship87

Bronze

October LSAT vs late applicaiton

Post by Ship87 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Hey everyone. I’m writing to ask about the cost of applying later in the cycle versus the possible benefit of a higher LSAT with my scores and schools considered.

I took the LSAT in June and scored a 171. My GPA is a 3.75 and I’m majoring in Physics and Economics. I decided to take the October LSAT because I screwed up the logic games in June, which are always my best section, and because I had a practice test average of 175 before the real test. I’m fairly confident I can score above a 171 in October.

I’m wondering whether the benefit a LSAT a few points higher is worth the cost of sending my application later in the cycle. I’ll have my applications done in September so they would already be submitted and I would notify the schools that I plan to take it again in October. I’m applying to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, and Harvard. I know I don’t stand much of a chance at Harvard and Columbia, so besides those two my choice schools are NYU/Chic/Penn.
Does anyone have advice or experience with this? I know how important the LSAT is, so I’m reasoning that even a score a few points higher might be the difference between a denial, waitlist, or admit. Or am I wrong and I should apply as early as I can? Thank you in advance for your input!

Emma.

Gold

Re: October LSAT vs late applicaiton

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 pm

A lot of schools won't consider your app if you are registered for an upcoming test. You might as well send them the app anyway so they have everything else and you can go complete as soon as the Oct test scores come out.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Ship87 wrote:Hey everyone. I’m writing to ask about the cost of applying later in the cycle versus the possible benefit of a higher LSAT with my scores and schools considered.

I took the LSAT in June and scored a 171. My GPA is a 3.75 and I’m majoring in Physics and Economics. I decided to take the October LSAT because I screwed up the logic games in June, which are always my best section, and because I had a practice test average of 175 before the real test. I’m fairly confident I can score above a 171 in October.

I’m wondering whether the benefit a LSAT a few points higher is worth the cost of sending my application later in the cycle. I’ll have my applications done in September so they would already be submitted and I would notify the schools that I plan to take it again in October. I’m applying to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, and Harvard. I know I don’t stand much of a chance at Harvard and Columbia, so besides those two my choice schools are NYU/Chic/Penn.
Does anyone have advice or experience with this? I know how important the LSAT is, so I’m reasoning that even a score a few points higher might be the difference between a denial, waitlist, or admit. Or am I wrong and I should apply as early as I can? Thank you in advance for your input!
Definitely do this. Submit your applications as early as you can, and let them know (on the one application I looked at to familiarize myself it asked me to list any LSAT dates I sat for, and any upcoming dates I will be sitting for), usually from a question on the application, that you will be taking in Oct. They will hold off reviewing your application until you receive your new score.

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

So you don't think the cost of a late application is more than a possible higher lsat score in my situation?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Ship87 wrote:So you don't think the cost of a late application is more than a possible higher lsat score in my situation?
No. Higher LSAT score >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. submitting your applications in In September versus November 1st (the day you get your Oct. LSAT Score).

Make sure you have everything else in so you're just waiting on your new LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Higher LSAT score >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. submitting your applications in In September versus November 1st
Great thats what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thank you!!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Ship87 wrote:
Higher LSAT score >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. submitting your applications in In September versus November 1st
No problem. Kill that LSAT the second time around! i'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. Averaging 176 over 55 PT's but then ended up with a 171 on June LSAT after going -4 on LG (after a month or two of going -0's). So i'm leaning towards retaking on Oct. Hopefully we will both score much closer to our averages :).

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 am

I'm 170/3.9 and I'm applying ASAP in September/October, gambling that I'll be waitlisted at worst, and not outright rejected. I can retake in February if it comes down to getting off waitlists.

gatorbait

New

Post by gatorbait » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:26 pm

The comments here seem to regard those who are retaking in October. I'm curious, what if October will be my first taking of the test...is it best/am I allowed to get my applications ready now, and go final on November 1?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:31 pm

gatorbait wrote:The comments here seem to regard those who are retaking in October. I'm curious, what if October will be my first taking of the test...is it best/am I allowed to get my applications ready now, and go final on November 1?
Yep, basically no difference.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Ship87 wrote:
If you apply the moment you get your score back you'll still be applying early. Just make sure that after you take your LSAT you finish up your apps and have everything but the score ready to go by the time your score report comes out.

I retook last year and applied right after I got my Sept. LSAT (granted it was a couple of weeks earlier than yours) but my application definitely counted as early and I got into my targeted school by Thanksgiving in their very first round of acceptances.

So as long as you have everything set up, you get the benefit of applying early and a better score.

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Knockglock wrote:
i'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. Averaging 176 over 55 PT's
Geez I didn't know I had such a badass helping me with admissions...

176 is legittt

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:37 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

176 is legittt
Hah, well I only got a 171 on the real deal so knock a ton of points out of the badass column.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Good idea for the thread...

My question is this...

I have not taken the LSAT. I'm registered for October. I'll have my apps completely ready for Nov 1.

If my LSAT is lower than I wanted, should I register for the December LSAT and send my applications anyway on November 1st with the new LSAT pending? Or should I just wait to get the December score back before submitting applications?

OR

Should I split it... Should I send the applications to half of the schools early and wait for the new LSAT score for the other half of the schools?

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

176 is legittt
Hah, well I only got a 171 on the real deal so knock a ton of points out of the badass column.
Ew.. a 171!

You are only in the 99th percentile? not 99.348?

I take back what I said about badass... :D :arrow: :x

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

176 is legittt
Ew.. a 171!

You are only in the 99th percentile? not 99.348?

I take back what I said about badass... :D :arrow: :x
Only 98th :P.

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Knockglock wrote:
...right when I thought it couldn't get any worse.
:mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
...right when I thought it couldn't get any worse.
:mrgreen:
I understand if you want to disregard any and all of my posts :'(.

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm going to chime in with my lower-rent, yet similar question. I took the October LSAT last year and got 163 and have a 3.0x GPA from undergrad and a Masters with a legit GPA (that law schools don't care about) and have been in the workforce for several years. I got in at a couple of top-50s and a few 50-75s. I did not accept any of the offers due to some life issues with relocation. Based on these issues, I'll most likely be in LA or NYC next year, having applied to zero schools there last cycle. With these numbers, I'm a big reach for nice schools like UCLA, USC, or Fordham, but there should be others where my numbers are somewhat more favorable lower down the rankings. My spin on the OP's question is whether it would do me any good to try and get a high 160s (my practice average) score and try and make an unlikely (with my GPA) jump into the T20 in LA or NYC? I was planning on applying early to all three of those schools this year just for giggles and also hoping that some of the TII schools would give nice scholly offers with early application.

Thoughts?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:08 pm

The quality advice from Knockglock and other's applies well in your case as well. Send in the applications early and take the LSAT in October to see if you do better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”