Better Job on Law School App?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

Better Job on Law School App?

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Don't worry. I am not picking a job based solely on how it will help my law school application cycle, but it is a near-toss-up, so I thought I would ask. For one-to-two years of WE before law school. Which would look better on law school application?

1) Paralegal position in a MAJOR government organization

or

2) Do-it-all position at major security, risk-management, etc advising group. Will be conducting business internationally (speak French and Arabic and will be conducting business with Moroccans) and have more "unique" experiences, while working in a world-renowned lawyers organizations.

Thoughts?

vanwinkle

Re: Better Job on Law School App?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Both of those sound like valuable work experience, and either would be good on your resume. Just pick which one you want more, either will be fine.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Don't worry. I am not picking a job based solely on how it will help my law school application cycle, but it is a near-toss-up, so I thought I would ask. For one-to-two years of WE before law school. Which would look better on law school application?

or

2) Do-it-all position at major security, risk-management, etc advising group. Will be conducting business internationally (speak French and Arabic and will be conducting business with Moroccans) and have more "unique" experiences, while working in a world-renowned lawyers organizations.

Thoughts?

Personally I think #2 sounds better. Schools don't care if you have any legal experience really. Working as a paralegal won't help you, and I think it may be more dull, boring work than the second position, which sounds a lot more interesting and unique.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:07 am

Knockglock wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Don't worry. I am not picking a job based solely on how it will help my law school application cycle, but it is a near-toss-up, so I thought I would ask. For one-to-two years of WE before law school. Which would look better on law school application?

or

Thoughts?

Personally I think #2 sounds better. Schools don't care if you have any legal experience really. Working as a paralegal won't help you, and I think it may be more dull, boring work than the second position, which sounds a lot more interesting and unique.

+1. Plus, it sounds a lot more fun.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 am

#2...I'm a big fan of paralegaling before law school (obviously), but #2 is just too cool to pass up. You're using specific skills, and have the opportunity to see a side of the legal profession anyways. Plus, seems like a low chance of having to cite check or redact docs.

Baha, but you will be missing out on the awesome group activities that being a group of new grads in a gov't agency or biglaw firm brings. By activities, I mean drinking and bitching.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”