How many law schools are you applying to?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Re: How many law schools are you applying to?

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:19 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Barbie wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Probably 12-13..

2-3 slight reaches
6 targets
4 safeties

why no big reaches??

ehh.. LSP shows me as "ADMIT" to all schools so Im not really sure how to define my reaches. I guess Yale would be considered a big reach for everyone without a phd and ridiculous awards so that could count if I decided to apply.

lol. well then they are pretty much all in the same category... I determine my categories (reach/target/safe) by my chances of getting in. you have all safeties!

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 pm

I applied to 21 last cycle; but I applied VERY late (didn't test until February). I was accepted to two that I thought were safeties, waitlisted at almost all my reaches, and denied the rest of my safeties. Right now I'm PT'ing in the mid-160's. I'm going to apply to probably 25 schools this time around, especially since I have the LSAC fee waiver until mid-December. My undergrad was a long time ago, and now my decision not to really pay much attention in school is killing me. I'm going to apply to as many schools that have early action as possible.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 pm

mdallavis wrote:I applied to 21 last cycle; but I applied VERY late (didn't test until February). I was accepted to two that I thought were safeties, waitlisted at almost all my reaches, and denied the rest of my safeties. Right now I'm PT'ing in the mid-160's. I'm going to apply to probably 25 schools this time around, especially since I have the LSAC fee waiver until mid-December. My undergrad was a long time ago, and now my decision not to really pay much attention in school is killing me. I'm going to apply to as many schools that have early action as possible.

I'm sure it is disapointing to get a ding from your safeties. I suppose I would rather get a WL at all my reaches though, and hope one of them hits. Applying late makes a cycle very wonky. My idea is that my reaches I'm looking at a WL or two, and dings. My targets I'm looking at mostly acceptances, with a few WL and at most 1 ding. My safeties I'm expecting all acceptances. This is what I hope at least

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:34 pm

I think, had I applied 2-3 months earlier, I would have been accepted to most of my safeties. In the end, my best acceptance was somewhere I'd applied as an afterthought and didn't really want to attend, so I'm making another go of it. I'm hoping to have all my applications out by the beginning of February. I withdrew myself from waitlist considerations in mid-July.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:38 pm

mdallavis wrote:I think, had I applied 2-3 months earlier, I would have been accepted to most of my safeties. In the end, my best acceptance was somewhere I'd applied as an afterthought and didn't really want to attend, so I'm making another go of it. I'm hoping to have all my applications out by the beginning of February. I withdrew myself from waitlist considerations in mid-July.

By Feb? Why don't you apply.... next month?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:42 pm

February...blah...I'm thinking of last cycle again.

November. Beginning of November, so I can try to take advantage of the EA/ED from some schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”