How many law schools are you applying to? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hannibal

Gold

How many law schools are you applying to?

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Considering how intense the people here are about admissions/LSAT/PSes etc, of those applying this cycle how many applications are you sending out? I say this because I have 22 schools on my school list right now, and I'm hoping that I can get a ton of merit-based waivers to hit at least one T1 school with a full ride without using too much money on apps.

Knock

Platinum

Re: How many law schools are you applying to?

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Hannibal wrote:Considering how intense the people here are about admissions/LSAT/PSes etc, of those applying this cycle how many applications are you sending out? I say this because I have 22 schools on my school list right now, and I'm hoping that I can get a ton of merit-based waivers to hit at least one T1 school with a full ride without using too much money on apps.

22 isn't super unusual. With fee waivers, and a fairly standardized application, it's not too hard to apply to tons of law schools. I'm probably applying to 15-20.

If nothing else, at least to (hopefully) get me some scholarship offers which I can leverage to get money or more money at my top choices.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:27 pm

You can use scholarship offers from other schools to get more money from higher schools?

That's badass.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Probably a good number as well, maybe 10-15. (I don't know, maybe this isn't considered a lot for law school apps). Don't to make the same mistake I did when applying to UGs and only send 3 apps...

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 pm

I was thinking around 20 with a breakdown like...

2 huge reaches
3 reaches
10 targets
5 safety

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Im applying to a SHIT TON and apparently I'm insane.. but I sent out a request for fee waivers from a lot for a lot of them and have gotten tons! So far only one school has told me no (they said they dont give merit based fee waivers) so... I feel a little less crazy not having to pay for a lot of them.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Probably much less. I don't want to apply to a school I don't want to go to. Just a bigger hassle.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Hannibal wrote:You can use scholarship offers from other schools to get more money from higher schools?

That's badass.
Yep, leveraging. Say you get a full ride at school ranked 50. Got into school ranked 45 with no money. Email the school, explain that you're having a tough time making the decision, and you really want to attend school ranked 45, but school ranked 50 is offering you a full ride. Sometimes they will offer you some money to try and sway you their way, although definitely not as much as the school ranked 50 offered.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I was thinking around 20 with a breakdown like...

2 huge reaches
3 reaches
10 targets
5 safety
What would you consider a huge reach vs. reach? for example, for me would it be like Wake Forest reach (because I'm pretty much surely looking at a waitlist first) and UGA a huge reach because of their 164 wall?? or are those both reaches or huge reaches?

edit: (3.1/163... should maybe add that haha)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Barbie wrote:

2 huge reaches
3 reaches
10 targets
5 safety
What would you consider a huge reach vs. reach? for example, for me would it be like Wake Forest reach (because I'm pretty much surely looking at a waitlist first) and UGA a huge reach because of their 164 wall?? or are those both reaches or huge reaches?

I'm 3.88 168, so I'd say huge reach = two of CCN, maybe I'll do all three. Reach = MVPB. 10-20 is my target. Then I'll apply to some of the schools in my state and other safeties.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Barbie wrote:

2 huge reaches
3 reaches
10 targets
5 safety

From what I have seen, anywhere you are below the median LSAT is going to be a reach, even if your GPA is at or above the median. Anything more than 1 point below the LSAT median is probably a "huge" reach.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

traehekat wrote:
Barbie wrote:

2 huge reaches
3 reaches
10 targets
5 safety

From what I have seen, anywhere you are below the median LSAT is going to be a reach, even if your GPA is at or above the median. Anything more than 1 point below the LSAT median is probably a "huge" reach.

my gpa is pretty bad so even schools where my LSAT is above median... i sometimes feel like they are a reach...

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Hannibal wrote:You can use scholarship offers from other schools to get more money from higher schools?

That's badass.
Yep, leveraging. Say you get a full ride at school ranked 50. Got into school ranked 45 with no money. Email the school, explain that you're having a tough time making the decision, and you really want to attend school ranked 45, but school ranked 50 is offering you a full ride. Sometimes they will offer you some money to try and sway you their way, although definitely not as much as the school ranked 50 offered.
That...is...awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

That's badass.
That...is...awesome.
Haha yup, i'm definitely planning on doing this to my top choice school. As a future lawyer, I think the school would be disappointed in me if I didn't :P. The worst they can do is say no and not give you any additional money.

I'm sure someone who has executed this successfully will be able to provide more details than me.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Knockglock wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

That's badass.
That...is...awesome.
Haha yup, i'm definitely planning on doing this to my top choice school. As a future lawyer, I think the school would be disappointed in me if I didn't :P. The worst they can do is say no and not give you any additional money.

I'm sure someone who has executed this successfully will be able to provide more details than me.

theres no way this could negatively effect you, right?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
That...is...awesome.

Not that I can think of. Worst thing they're going to do is say no and be a little peeved at you. They certainly won't revoke an offer of admission or anything like that.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 am

I'm probably applying to 8~9... guess I'm on the fewer side here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 am

Im probably going to apply to close to 30. Retaking the LSAT this oct. previous score was a 149 with a 2.8 gpa.

hemm

Bronze

Post by hemm » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 am

I'm applying to 10 schools - 3 reaches, 3 targets, 4 safeties.

bleu

New

Post by bleu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:25 am

In your case isnt that just t14

hemm

Bronze

Post by hemm » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 am

bleu wrote:In your case isnt that just t14
Yeah, except for Texas - I'm a TX resident.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool2014

New

Post by lawschool2014 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:48 am

I applied to 20 (including crapies like temple and BC bc of fee waivers). Apply to as many as you can

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:19 pm

hemm wrote:
bleu wrote:In your case isnt that just t14
Yeah, except for Texas - I'm a TX resident.
Congrats on the 175 Hemm!!

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm planning on applying to at least 15; most of them on the West Coast.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Haha yup, i'm definitely planning on doing this to my top choice school. As a future lawyer, I think the school would be disappointed in me if I didn't :P. The worst they can do is say no and not give you any additional money.

I did this at a number of schools with varying degrees of success, but success all around.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”