How many law schools are you applying to? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Silver

Re: How many law schools are you applying to?

Post by Deuce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:You can use scholarship offers from other schools to get more money from higher schools?

That's badass.

hemm

Bronze

Post by hemm » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Knockglock wrote:
hemm wrote:
bleu wrote:In your case isnt that just t14
Yeah, except for Texas - I'm a TX resident.
Congrats on the 175 Hemm!!
Thanks man! Are you retaking in October?

Snoring Meatball

Bronze

Post by Snoring Meatball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm applying to 3 schools-- 2 big reaches and a target. I'm not happy about my approach, but I'm trying to be realistic with the cost/benefit analysis.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Snoring Meatball wrote:I'm applying to 3 schools-- 2 big reaches and a target. I'm not happy about my approach, but I'm trying to be realistic with the cost/benefit analysis.
Hmm...if you're not happy then why are you doing it? Is it the cost of the applications?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Hannibal wrote:You can use scholarship offers from other schools to get more money from higher schools?

That's badass.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snoring Meatball

Bronze

Post by Snoring Meatball » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Snoring Meatball wrote:I'm applying to 3 schools-- 2 big reaches and a target. I'm not happy about my approach, but I'm trying to be realistic with the cost/benefit analysis.
Hmm...if you're not happy then why are you doing it? Is it the cost of the applications?
Nope- employment prospects. 2 are T-14 and 1 is top 50 and dirt cheap for law school. I'm married and can't just pick up and move. I really want the education, but I want to make sure getting it is a smart thing to do financially.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Snoring Meatball wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
Nope- employment prospects. 2 are T-14 and 1 is top 50 and dirt cheap for law school. I'm married and can't just pick up and move. I really want the education, but I want to make sure getting it is a smart thing to do financially.

Oh, so you want to practice locally, but there is only one decent school in your city/area in where you are likely to get $$$? What about applying more broadly in the T-14 to maximize possibility of acceptance? Also, what about regional schools not in your city? There must be more than just the one school.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Snoring Meatball wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
You should still apply to other schools so that you can try to use them as leverage.
This. If you get into a T-14 you could leverage that for more money from the T50. You don't HAVE to go to the T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snoring Meatball

Bronze

Post by Snoring Meatball » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 pm

You should still apply to other schools so that you can try to use them as leverage.[/quote]

This. If you get into a T-14 you could leverage that for more money from the T50. You don't HAVE to go to the T14.[/quote]

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of that.

granger

Bronze

Post by granger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Feel free to critique my list!

3.63/171

Duke
UVA
Mich
Penn
Gtown
Cornell
NYU
Chicago
BU
GW
UConn
BC
Fordham

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Very tough to narrow down a list when you are taking or in my case, retaking the LSAT in October - feel free to critique my list 3.86/167:

Berkeley, Hastings, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Duke,Georgetown, U of Hawaii 8) , Loyola, Michigan, NYU, Northwestern, USC, Stanford, UVA , Penn

and yes I know several of those are very unlikely unless my Oct retake goes very well
Last edited by jtemp320 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jas5076

New

Post by jas5076 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I am applying two places Harvard and Yale cuz I Couldnt stand going to stttanford

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:22 pm

granger wrote:Feel free to critique my list!

3.63/171

Duke
UVA
Mich
Penn
Gtown
Cornell
NYU
Chicago
BU
GW
UConn
BC
Fordham
Looks like a good mix of schools - why UConn? You seem to have signifcantly higher ranked safeties that you can feel confident about?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 pm

I applied to about 10 schools last cycle. While I got into, and will be attending, my favorite school, I REALLY regret not applying to more schools. Not because I would have considered attending a different school, but because I know a ton of people that negotiated better scholarships.

More acceptances increase your chances for leverage to negotiate. Cast your net wide. You'll be surprised by some of your scholly offers.

Gain leverage and use it. It might save you the cost of a house.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I have 23 listed but don't know how many I'll apply to - I was rejected from my Fee Waiver. :(

I scored 8 points below what I thought I would on the LSAT, and can't retake it in Oct. so my cycle is going to go much differently then I thought.

6 Super Reaches: (UCLA, CAL, USC, Georgetown, Cornell, & Vandy)
-I know it's probably a waste of money, but I really, really want to go (and planed on it with what I thought my stats would be), and you never know till you try. I have a legitimate addendum though, so who knows...

2 Reaches: (Univ Washington & George Washington)

7 Targets: (Davis, Hastings, Fordham, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina)

7-9 Curiosities: (W&L, Irvine, W&M, Tulane, American, Colorado, U. San Diego, U. Seattle)

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I applied to about 10 schools last cycle. While I got into, and will be attending, my favorite school, I REALLY regret not applying to more schools. Not because I would have considered attending a different school, but because I know a ton of people that negotiated better scholarships.

More acceptances increase your chances for leverage to negotiate. Cast your net wide. You'll be surprised by some of your scholly offers.

Gain leverage and use it. It might save you the cost of a house.
That's what I plan on doing... Well, and because I have no idea where exactly I want to live yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 pm

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Xnegd wrote:I have 23 listed but don't know how many I'll apply to - I was rejected from my Fee Waiver. :(

I scored 8 points below what I thought I would on the LSAT, and can't retake it in Oct. so my cycle is going to go much differently then I thought.

6 Super Reaches: (UCLA, CAL, USC, Georgetown, Cornell, & Vandy)
-I know it's probably a waste of money, but I really, really want to go (and planed on it with what I thought my stats would be), and you never know till you try. I have a legitimate addendum though, so who knows...

2 Reaches: (Univ Washington & George Washington)

7 Targets: (Davis, Hastings, Fordham, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina)

7-9 Curiosities: (W&L, Irvine, W&M, Tulane, American, Colorado, U. San Diego, U. Seattle)
What are your numbers?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm only applying to 10. I thought that was kind of high, until I saw how many some of you are applying to! I guess my list is a little different; I'm not applying to any 'safeties' because I'm not applying to schools I wouldn't attend. I took money at a state school for UG, so I'm looking forward to going to a really great, competitive school for LS, and I think my list reflects that.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Plus, I've chopped out large geographic areas: no CA/west coast schools, no Midwest (save for Chicago schools), and not many southern schools

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Soda Mixer

New

Post by Soda Mixer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 pm

eskimo wrote:I'm only applying to 10. I thought that was kind of high, until I saw how many some of you are applying to! I guess my list is a little different; I'm not applying to any 'safeties' because I'm not applying to schools I wouldn't attend. I took money at a state school for UG, so I'm looking forward to going to a really great, competitive school for LS, and I think my list reflects that.
This, though I have 11 on my list. I'm basically going to apply to the T14 minus Yale, Virginia, and Northwestern.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm shooting for around 15 (currently at 14), though that number could grow if a few decent schools send fee waivers my way. I'm a mild splitter (170/3.4), so we'll see how it goes. The farthest up the rankings I'm gonna aim is Michigan (or maybe Penn for shits n' giggles). Good luck to everyone.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm going with 10.

2 reach
5 target
3 safety

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:03 pm

2 I won't get into
1 I might get into
3 right at my level
3 just below my level
3 safeties

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”