Stanford-specific Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Knock

Stanford-specific Question

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Hey guys, I tried posting in the Stanford 1L taking questions, but I couldn't get any responses. For Stanford, how important is it that your LOR writer fill out Form C?

Is it required, encouraged, or what? do you think it will make a significant difference? does it matter if I only have one or should I try and get two professors to fill it out?

thecilent

Re: Stanford-specific Question

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. I did hear, though, that it is pretty damn important - from a few diff people. Which upsets me, bc I am not having my recommenders do it =/

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 pm

thecilent wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. I did hear, though, that it is pretty damn important - from a few diff people. Which upsets me, bc I am not having my recommenders do it =/

SLS is my top choice so I want to definitely craft my application towards them, but I don't want to burden my LOR unnecessarily if it's not a big deal :D.

Is there any other optional stuff available? Or is Form C pretty much it?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm

From searching around TLS I found this:
Here's the official Stanford response... :arrow:

Thank you for your email.

Form C is only preferred if the recommenders are writing targeted letters. This is not a required form and is not a disadvantage for those applicants who choose not to use the form. Please try to submit the form and letter through LSAC if you wish for the forms to be included in your file.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Stanford Law School
Office of Admissions
559 Nathan Abbott Way
Stanford, CA 94305
P: 650-723-4985/F: 650-723-0838
http://www.law.stanford.edu/

So I think I will probably hold off on getting my LOR writers to fill out Form C.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:
thecilent wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. I did hear, though, that it is pretty damn important - from a few diff people. Which upsets me, bc I am not having my recommenders do it =/

SLS is my top choice so I want to definitely craft my application towards them, but I don't want to burden my LOR unnecessarily if it's not a big deal :D.

B = mandatory and C = optional. Pretty sure that is it. If you are really shooting for S, I would get the Form C filled out for as many recs as possible. I know it is definitely a slight boost.

Edit - Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I know I read somewhere they preferred the targeted letters, so idk
Last edited by thecilent on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 pm

thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

B = mandatory and C = optional. Pretty sure that is it. If you are really shooting for S, I would get the Form C filled out for as many recs as possible. I know it is definitely a slight boost.

Edit - Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hmmm, that's what I would think but that email response I found from an earlier thread on TLS seems to imply that it's only preferred if my LOR are writing targeted letters (which they aren't).

Is it one of those things where they say it isn't a disadvantage, but then they give a slight boost to people who score well on it? Or is it truly not a disadvantage?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Knockglock wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Edit - Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hmmm, that's what I would think but that email response I found from an earlier thread on TLS seems to imply that it's only preferred if my LOR are writing targeted letters (which they aren't).

Is it one of those things where they say it isn't a disadvantage, but then they give a slight boost to people who score well on it? Or is it truly not a disadvantage?

No, I think what they said is right. I meant, though, that I think you should have your letters targeted and used with Form C. Obviously if it is not targeted, you would not use it..

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm

thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Edit - Hmmmmmmmmmmm

No, I think what they said is right. I meant, though, that I think you should have your letters targeted and used with Form C. Obviously if it is not targeted, you would not use it..

Well, I talked to my LOR writers. One didn't want to write a Stanford targeted letter. He isn't an alumnus of Stanford, and doesn't know anything that would distinguish them from other law schools.

The other one said he would be willing to write me targeted letters for a couple schools, mainly just change the last paragraph or so, but the more I think about it the more I think a non-targeted letter won't be any worse, since he isn't connected in any way to Stanford either.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Knockglock wrote:The other one said he would be willing to write me targeted letters for a couple schools, mainly just change the last paragraph or so, but the more I think about it the more I think a non-targeted letter won't be any worse, since he isn't connected in any way to Stanford either.

Yeah. Then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems like it is not really a disadvantage at all. Btw, I'll say it again: You are def going to get one of YHS - being an urm. I wouldn't stress if I were you!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 pm

thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote:The other one said he would be willing to write me targeted letters for a couple schools, mainly just change the last paragraph or so, but the more I think about it the more I think a non-targeted letter won't be any worse, since he isn't connected in any way to Stanford either.

Yeah. Then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems like it is not really a disadvantage at all. Btw, I'll say it again: You are def going to get one of YHS - being an urm. I wouldn't stress if I were you!

Haha thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I'm afraid it's just not in my nature to go lax on something as big as this, as much as I wish I could. So bear with me. I will stress out with the rest of you guys!

I forgot Cilent, what's your top choice school again?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

LSAC only allows you to use form C for a targeted letter. If you use Form C then that letter can only go to Stanford. So if you want your recommender to use form C and write a general letter then you have to have him/her send in the exact same letter twice, one with Form C, and one with the general LSAC form. This was my personal experience last year.

HTH

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Knockglock wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Haha thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I'm afraid it's just not in my nature to go lax on something as big as this, as much as I wish I could. So bear with me. I will stress out with the rest of you guys!

I forgot Cilent, what's your top choice school again?

I mean, my order is YSHCNCP.. but realistically, Columbia.
Last edited by thecilent on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

i did form C and I think it helped but who really knows.

best advice is to find out who the professor in charge of reading apps is and to target your PS and stuff to him/her. I think the title is academic adviser or something?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey-O wrote:LSAC only allows you to use form C for a targeted letter. If you use Form C then that letter can only go to Stanford. So if you want your recommender to use form C and write a general letter then you have to have him/her send in the exact same letter twice, one with Form C, and one with the general LSAC form. This was my personal experience last year.

HTH

Thank you Hey-O, this was very helpful! Looks like i'm not going to be submitting Form C then.

I mean, my order is YHSCNCP.. but realistically, Columbia.

I'd say you're in at Columbia for sure, and definitely have a shot at H (your 1 point about median and your GPA is above the 3.8 "floor") and S (depending on softs). Good luck man =).

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Hey-O wrote:LSAC only allows you to use form C for a targeted letter. If you use Form C then that letter can only go to Stanford. So if you want your recommender to use form C and write a general letter then you have to have him/her send in the exact same letter twice, one with Form C, and one with the general LSAC form. This was my personal experience last year.

HTH

Thank you Hey-O, this was very helpful! Looks like i'm not going to be submitting Form C then.

I mean, my order is YHSCNCP.. but realistically, Columbia.

I'd say you're in at Columbia for sure, and definitely have a shot at H (your 1 point about median and your GPA is above the 3.8 "floor") and S (depending on softs). Good luck man =).

Thanks. I edited to show I meant to put S in front of H. But yeah, we'll def be keeping in touch throughout the cycle..

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Ehh I did it and it wasnt a hassle at all.. If your LOR writers actually like you enough to write you a good rec they shouldnt mind. [dramatic voice]Plus, if I get in and you dont do you really want to wonder if it was because of Form C?[/dramatic voice]

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 pm

legends159 wrote:i did form C and I think it helped but who really knows.

best advice is to find out who the professor in charge of reading apps is and to target your PS and stuff to him/her. I think the title is academic adviser or something?

Thanks Legends, i'll have to do some researching.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Ehh I did it and it wasnt a hassle at all.. If your LOR writers actually like you enough to write you a good rec they shouldnt mind. [dramatic voice]Plus, if I get in and you dont do you really want to wonder if it was because of Form C?[/dramatic voice]

haha :P. Well, since my LOR writers aren't going to give me a Stanford specific LOR, I guess I don't have to worry about Form C. One of them might be willing to but i'll probably tell him to not worry about it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Completely unrelated, but I scanned my transcript and it came up as 5 separate files, one for each page. Is there any way I can merge them all into just 1 single file?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Knockglock wrote:Completely unrelated, but I scanned my transcript and it came up as 5 separate files, one for each page. Is there any way I can merge them all into just 1 single file?

I don't get this question. Doesn't your school send your transcript to LSAC? You shouldn't have to scan it at all.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Completely unrelated, but I scanned my transcript and it came up as 5 separate files, one for each page. Is there any way I can merge them all into just 1 single file?

I don't get this question. Doesn't your school send your transcript to LSAC? You shouldn't have to scan it at all.

Sorry, should've clarified. I'm e-mailing my LOR writer, and want to send him my school transcript.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have an alternative suggestion. This is what I did. My school (and I think others do as well) offers an unofficial electronic transcript that I copied into Excel and tweaked into a more readable format and that's what I sent.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”