Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ajmanyjah

Bronze

Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA?

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm

A tad unfair, no? I mean, our undergrad union actually voted down an A+ addition at our school because we felt it not only cheapened the schools reputation but also its academic rigor...

Isn't it a terrible comparison when a non existent grade at my school boosts people beyond my GPA...

Anyone else think so?

d34d9823

Gold

Re: Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA?

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Given that I was a minimal work A- student and not an A+ striver, nah.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

This comes up literally every month, often more often. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it's worth pointing out that even schools which give out A+ grades do so exceedingly rarely. It's generally a discretionary mark reserved for unique circumstances. Less than one per class, probably substantially less than one per class. It's not like those schools routinely have graduates with 4.2 GPAs.

Obviously it's an advantage to those who secured them, but the playingfield isn't as unlevel as those from schools w/o the boost often assume.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Not having an A+ would be a huge disservice to the students if you also have an A-.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:A tad unfair, no? I mean, our undergrad union actually voted down an A+ addition at our school because we felt it not only cheapened the schools reputation but also its academic rigor...

Isn't it a terrible comparison when a non existent grade at my school boosts people beyond my GPA...

Anyone else think so?
Considering this post is coming from the same person who seriously implied that a psych major with 5 "neurobio" classes was actually very difficult.. I recommend you just not even worry about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EzraStiles

New

Post by EzraStiles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

So despite the fact that schools like Harvard and Michigan hand out A+s, you felt it would cheapen your school's reputation? Sure, it's unfair to some. But, due to grade inflation, some schools feel it necessary to sift out the 'good' students by giving some an even higher ranking, which, at least in my experience, is supposed to be awarded to work on par with an excellent grad student in the department. Is it unfair that some schools can't use this, sure; but in your case, the school actually voted down A+'s, so if you want to bitch, you should bitch to the idiots who rejected it on faulty logical grounds.

Eric475

New

Post by Eric475 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm

My UG has A+s they just go in as 4.0's though, just like regular As. I think it works out.

Edit: Anytime someone uses the words "academic rigor" i think of Uchi
Last edited by Eric475 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Hannibal wrote:Not having an A+ would be a huge disservice to the students if you also have an A-.
Tons of schools have an A- without an A+. My school does, and it definitely sucks. I think the fairest way to level this playing field, would be just to simply count A+'s as 4.0. Keep the A+ on your transcript, schools can still see that you got them, but they don't give you a leg up on everyone.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:A tad unfair, no? I mean, our undergrad union actually voted down an A+ addition at our school because we felt it not only cheapened the schools reputation but also its academic rigor...

Anyone else think so?
Considering this post is coming from the same person who seriously implied that a psych major with 5 "neurobio" classes was actually very difficult.. I recommend you just not even worry about this.
Yea, it's not like neurobio at the MNI is at all prestigious or difficult. Penfield was a hack in your world I suppose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EzraStiles

New

Post by EzraStiles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Eric475 wrote:My UG has A+s they just go in as 4.0's though, just like regular As. I think it works out.

Edit: Anytime someone uses the words "academic rigor" i think of Uchi
The A+s are recalculated as 4.33 by LSDAS though. I don't know of any school that has A+s weighed as such on undergraduate transcripts.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm

EzraStiles wrote:I don't know of any school that has A+s weighed as such on undergraduate transcripts.
Several do.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Im just gonna summarize the way this argument is going to go...

1) Some person whines about A+'s as if people are getting into T14 solely on the back of their numerous A+s
2) Multiple people tell this person to shut up because it is stupid to even ask about
3a) Someone points out that the inequity between different majors is likely far more pointed than A+s can even account for
3b) Someone argues that the inequity between different schools is likely far more pointed than A+s can even account for
4) Thread devolves into an argument about difficulty of schools/majors.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

EzraStiles wrote:So despite the fact that schools like Harvard and Michigan hand out A+s, you felt it would cheapen your school's reputation? Sure, it's unfair to some. But, due to grade inflation, some schools feel it necessary to sift out the 'good' students by giving some an even higher ranking, which, at least in my experience, is supposed to be awarded to work on par with an excellent grad student in the department. Is it unfair that some schools can't use this, sure; but in your case, the school actually voted down A+'s, so if you want to bitch, you should bitch to the idiots who rejected it on faulty logical grounds.
The fact that you think that Harvard has a good reputation (and grade inflation is mentioned) academically tells me all you needed to know. I took identical courses in both schools (mine and Harvard's) and I got a better grade at Harvard when all I did was doodle and hit on girls.

And it is funny that you think that faulty logical grounds means "unlike reputation whoring schools"...Al Gore graduated from Harvard and did not get into Vanderbilt's Seminary School...more faulty logic?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Rice University counts A+'s as 4.3s in their transcripts. The top of their class all have like 4.2+ GPAs

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 pm

ajmanyjah wrote: The fact that you think that Harvard has a good reputation (and grade inflation is mentioned) academically tells me all you needed to know. I took identical courses in both schools (mine and Harvard's) and I got a better grade at Harvard when all I did was doodle and hit on girls.

And it is funny that you think that faulty logical grounds means "unlike reputation whoring schools"...Al Gore graduated from Harvard and did not get into Vanderbilt's Seminary School...more faulty logic?
Oh, good its one of these trolls.. "My school is harder than Harvard!!".. "Psych major at my school is the hardest thing in the world".. "Al Gore was rejected from Vanderbilt's Seminary School??"(Wait I couldve sworn Gore went to and left Vandy Law)

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Simple answer is yes, but it seems TLS wants to say it is insignificant. May be true, but it is still unfair. Just because other things are more unfair does not mean that it would not be an easy fix for LSDAS to make it worth a 4.0, evening the playing field for all of us who would have had some A+'s on our transcripts if our schools gave them.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Last edited by 094320 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawprospect12

New

Post by lawprospect12 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm

So When You Apply to Law School A+s are 4.3? Is that all law schools (not certain on what LSDAS) is or just some? Sorry could someone explain this, I'm not familiar with this thread but it caught my interest.

For the record, I go to a school that counts A+s as 4.0 but it shows up on your transcript as A+

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:The fact that you think that Harvard has a good reputation (and grade inflation is mentioned) academically tells me all you needed to know. I took identical courses in both schools (mine and Harvard's) and I got a better grade at Harvard when all I did was doodle and hit on girls.

Harvard's so TTT.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:00 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Meh. It's silly, but whatever. There are many things that are for more unfair about how LSDAS counts GPA than that. I, for one, find it far more irritating that summer courses one took in high school at the ripe ol' age of 15 are supposed to matter for law school admissions.
Same. That doesn't really make sense :S. I would be above median at my target school(s) for GPA if a summer study abroad class I took when I was 15 and was more worried about my sophomore year of high school than law school weren't weighing me down :|.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:00 pm

KMaine wrote:Simple answer is yes, but it seems TLS wants to say it is insignificant. May be true, but it is still unfair. Just because other things are more unfair does not mean that it would not be an easy fix for LSDAS to make it worth a 4.0, evening the playing field for all of us who would have had some A+'s on our transcripts if our schools gave them.
Then after that how about they send a squad of researchers to every school and correct grades for students who wouldve had a .33 higher letter grade if they did something as simple as took a different professor for the same course, attended a different school, or took the class before the department changed the syllabus to make the class more difficult.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Meh. It's silly, but whatever. There are many things that are for more unfair about how LSDAS counts GPA than that. I, for one, find it far more irritating that summer courses one took in high school at the ripe ol' age of 15 are supposed to matter for law school admissions.
Same. That doesn't really make sense :S. I would be above median at my target school(s) for GPA if a summer study abroad class I took when I was 15 and was more worried about my sophomore year of high school than law school weren't weighing me down :|.
Heh, I have all As on my HS stuff and it's the stuff I took IN college that is sinking my apps.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

lawprospect12 wrote:So when you apply to law school A+s are 4.3? Is that all law schools (not certain on what LSDAS) is or just some? Sorry could someone explain this, I'm not familiar with this thread but it caught my interest.

For the record, I go to a school that counts A+s as 4.0 but it shows up on your transcript as A+
LSAC will calculate your A+'s as 4.33 and for the purposes of law school admissions, your LSDAS GPA is all that matters. Basically, you lucked out. Calculate your GPA here: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
KMaine wrote:Simple answer is yes, but it seems TLS wants to say it is insignificant. May be true, but it is still unfair. Just because other things are more unfair does not mean that it would not be an easy fix for LSDAS to make it worth a 4.0, evening the playing field for all of us who would have had some A+'s on our transcripts if our schools gave them.
Then after that how about they send a squad of researchers to every school and correct grades for students who wouldve had a .33 higher letter grade if they did something as simple as took a different professor for the same course, attended a different school, or took the class before the department changed the syllabus to make the class more difficult.
Except it's like that at every school...the problem is the unlevel playing field, some people have the opportunity for A+'s while others are maxed out at A's. Every school has what you mentioned, but not every school has A+'s.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”