Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Re: Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA?

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 am

Just more proof that grades need to be eliminated and students straight ranked. Unfortunately, the feel-good-liberal-helicopter-parenting cohort that runs schools at all levels is taking it in the opposite direction.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:29 am

hellokitty wrote:There were more than 20 courses on my transcript that I got A+ in. I would be PISSED if they didn't count it. Some of those were grades over 100%. I don't see a problem with rewarding people for doing well.
I agree with your bolded portion, but it doesn't need to follow that A+'s are included.
I went to a school without them, so my bias is the feeling that A is the top score; you went to one WITH them, so your bias is toward A+ being the top score. Over 100% was impossible at my school, so the percentile system isn't standardized either.

I agree with your overall sentiment of rewarding people for doing well, but you must realize that an A is just that reward at some schools. If you believe in A+'s, you can still believe in grade standardization; just take the position that grades should be standardized to include A+'s as >100%.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Just more proof that grades need to be eliminated and students straight ranked. Unfortunately, the feel-good-liberal-helicopter-parenting cohort that runs schools at all levels is taking it in the opposite direction.
True, as long as schools will take each application seriously and compare school to school instead of just throwing everyone out below, say, a 25%. But it seems law schools mostly won't take the 15 minutes to do this (and at about 60 dollars per app, this is why I think admissions in this country tend to be...well...a joke)

I also like the accept alot and fail out some technique. The LSAT might be a better predictor for law school than other measures...but it isn't as good as law school itself. It worked at my UG quite well

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Just more proof that grades need to be eliminated and students straight ranked. Unfortunately, the feel-good-liberal-helicopter-parenting cohort that runs schools at all levels is taking it in the opposite direction.
What about fluctuations between graduating classes?
Should a student be penalized 'cause s/he happened to land among a particularly studious class? I'd like to hope not.
[the opposite question applies to the vice versa scenario]

Agh, as much as I dislike this idea though, it seems like the closest thing to standardization you can get. ... ...

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
True, as long as schools will take each application seriously and compare school to school instead of just throwing everyone out below, say, a 25%. But it seems law schools mostly won't take the 15 minutes to do this (and at about 60 dollars per app, this is why I think admissions in this country tend to be...well...a joke)
Doesn't take 15 minutes to do. Just create a new index. Some function of (Some function of UG student rank and ranking of UG university) and LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 am

Sell Manilla wrote:
What about fluctuations between graduating classes?
Should a student be penalized 'cause s/he happened to land among a particularly studious class? I'd like to hope not.
[the opposite question applies to the vice versa scenario]

Agh, as much as I dislike this idea though, it seems like the closest thing to standardization you can get. ... ...
Ideally, that would be reflected in the ranking of the UG school, which would have to be used to weight the UG student rank in this system. Admittedly, not likely to work though and such fluctuations would not be (fully) accounted for.

Note: this assumes the fluctuations occur within the specific UG institution and not higher education writ-large with uniformity.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:47 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote: Doesn't take 15 minutes to do. Just create a new index. Some function of (Some function of UG student rank and ranking of UG university) and LSAT.
I think this is done today, effectively. Schools look at UG LSAT & GPA averages for all law school apps from a given UG on LSAC reports to get an idea of a particular applicant's place among the masses.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 am

drdolittle wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote: Doesn't take 15 minutes to do. Just create a new index. Some function of (Some function of UG student rank and ranking of UG university) and LSAT.
I think this is done today, effectively. Schools look at UG LSAT & GPA averages for all law school apps from a given UG on LSAC reports to get an idea of a particular applicant's place among the masses.
Lol. Sure they "look" at it. The same way they look at softs, recs, etc. Unless US News incorporates these variables into it's formula, they won't ever actually matter.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:51 am

THAT'S IT!!! It's not fair that URMs get in to schools with numbers lower than the rest of the applicant pool. I said it.

/sarcasm

/thread for the bullshit arguments that are being thrown around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:54 am

Booooooo

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Booooooo
We all know it was going there, I just gave it a nudge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”