GPA Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DreamLaw

New

GPA Addendum

Post by DreamLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

hey everyone,

I just received my academic summary report from LSAC and I am strongly considering writing an addendum. I have a unique case, being from Quebec and graduating from CEGEP before university. I submitted both my CEGEP transcripts and University transcripts to LSAC. In CEGEP i graduated with an 87% (GPA does not exist in CEGEP), making the dean's honors list every semester and graduating with honors. I looked at my academic summary report and they converted my CEGEP grades to a 3.29 gpa, even though its supposed to be near a 4.0! I do not think my CEGEP grades should be converted to a gpa scale because it is a completely different educational system. Would an addendum help explain to admissions my situation? A 3.29 gpa is not an accurate reflector at the grades I did get in CEGEP, and of my general academic performance.

rynabrius

Bronze

Re: GPA Addendum

Post by rynabrius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:10 pm

It seems like a good idea to write an addendum. It would be useful to include supporting material that shows what an 87% would translate into at, say, Harvard University.

This being said it is still going to hurt you a lot, since schools have to report your GPA.

DreamLaw

New

Post by DreamLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:15 pm

rynabrius wrote:It seems like a good idea to write an addendum. It would be useful to include supporting material that shows what an 87% would translate into at, say, Harvard University.

This being said it is still going to hurt you a lot, since schools have to report your GPA.

my cum. gpa is a 3.51, my cegep gpa and university combined. What documents would you add? My CEGEP transcripts shows all my grades in percentages, should I add that to the addendum? Showing that my grades do not technically convert to a 3.29?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

DreamLaw wrote:hey everyone,

I just received my academic summary report from LSAC and I am strongly considering writing an addendum. I have a unique case, being from Quebec and graduating from CEGEP before university. I submitted both my CEGEP transcripts and University transcripts to LSAC. In CEGEP i graduated with an 87% (GPA does not exist in CEGEP), making the dean's honors list every semester and graduating with honors. I looked at my academic summary report and they converted my CEGEP grades to a 3.29 gpa, even though its supposed to be near a 4.0! I do not think my CEGEP grades should be converted to a gpa scale because it is a completely different educational system. Would an addendum help explain to admissions my situation? A 3.29 gpa is not an accurate reflector at the grades I did get in CEGEP, and of my general academic performance.
How does 87% not equate to a 3.29?

A+ = 97-100 = 4.33
A = 93-96 = 4
A- = 90-93 = 3.66
B+ = 87-90 = 3.33
B = 83-86 = 3
B- = 80-83 = 2.66

Sounds about right to me.

DreamLaw

New

Post by DreamLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 pm

bk187 wrote:
DreamLaw wrote:hey everyone,

How does 87% not equate to a 3.29?

A+ = 97-100 = 4.33
A = 93-96 = 4
A- = 90-93 = 3.66
B+ = 87-90 = 3.33
B = 83-86 = 3
B- = 80-83 = 2.66

Sounds about right to me.

there is a different converting system for each school btw, --LinkRemoved--

for cegep, 90-100 = 4.0
80-89 = 3.0

I personally don't find that conversion to be fair

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

DreamLaw wrote:there is a different converting system for each school btw, --LinkRemoved--

for cegep, 90-100 = 4.0
80-89 = 3.0

I personally don't find that conversion to be fair
The fairness of the system doesn't seem to be addendum-worthy. Even if you write one, I doubt it will change how the schools look at you. They have dealt with students with converted GPA's before and will treat you however they feel like it, you are unlikely to be a special snowflake.

DreamLaw

New

Post by DreamLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 pm

The reason I want to write an addendum is to show that I graduated honors from that institution, despite what my gpa got converted to. CEGEP does not exist anywhere else in the world so its a complicated situation.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm

DreamLaw wrote:The reason I want to write an addendum is to show that I graduated honors from that institution, despite what my gpa got converted to. CEGEP does not exist anywhere else in the world so its a complicated situation.
I am saying that they have looked at CEGEP students before, they understand how it works.

If you graduated with honors then put it in your resume under your education section.

Edmonds4

New

Post by Edmonds4 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Out of curiosity, where do you even write the addendum? Is there always a spot for it in the application itself, or do you send it as an attachment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DreamLaw

New

Post by DreamLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Edmonds4 wrote:Out of curiosity, where do you even write the addendum? Is there always a spot for it in the application itself, or do you send it as an attachment?
as an attachment.

J.Straw from Wichita

New

Post by J.Straw from Wichita » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Maybe get a letter from your dean? Also, do you have a class rank?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 pm

DreamLaw wrote:The reason I want to write an addendum is to show that I graduated honors from that institution, despite what my gpa got converted to. CEGEP does not exist anywhere else in the world so its a complicated situation.
I would put this in your resume. They will see it.

edit: didnt read through, sorry to repeat BK

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”