William and Mary App Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
esq

William and Mary App Question

Postby esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Quick question about William and Mary's app. I'm filling it out right now and it asks:

"List all scholastic or academic honors you have received including scholarships, fellowships, prizes, and honor societies."

In regards to scholarships, does anyone know if they are asking for me to fill out specifically what scholarships I received (eg. Anne Kay Scholarship $XXXX) or are they asking for a general understanding - as I would put in on my resume (eg. Merit Scholarships for the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 academic years and University of XXX). Problem is, if it is specific, it might be a tight fit in the small place that they allow me to answer this question. Anyone with experience on this please chime in. Thanks.

dakatz

Re: William and Mary App Question

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 pm

esq wrote:Quick question about William and Mary's app. I'm filling it out right now and it asks:

"List all scholastic or academic honors you have received including scholarships, fellowships, prizes, and honor societies."

In regards to scholarships, does anyone know if they are asking for me to fill out specifically what scholarships I received (eg. Anne Kay Scholarship $XXXX) or are they asking for a general understanding - as I would put in on my resume (eg. Merit Scholarships for the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 academic years and University of XXX). Problem is, if it is specific, it might be a tight fit in the small place that they allow me to answer this question. Anyone with experience on this please chime in. Thanks.

Go with the abbreviated version since there is so little space

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Hmmm, pretty darn sure that they mean to list all of them.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:04 pm

The way I understand the application (based on the allowance for additional employment) is to list all scholarships and academic awards, though if additional space is needed, the applicant can add supplementary material provided such material is clearly marked with the applicant's name, LSAC number and question being addressed

esq

Postby esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:The way I understand the application (based on the allowance for additional employment) is to list all scholarships and academic awards, though if additional space is needed, the applicant can add supplementary material provided such material is clearly marked with the applicant's name, LSAC number and question being addressed

So you would suggest that I should find the information and report the specifics of my scholarships to W&M?

esq

Postby esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Does anybody else have an idea about whether W&M means specific or general (academic year) scholarship info on their app? Is there anybody who has actually applied one way or the other and know if how it affected their chances?

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:33 pm

I plan on doing two things:

1. Contact my UG's financial aid office to see if they can fax me a composite receipt of my tuition expenditures. I'm old, so they probably can't.
2. Ask W&M what they want for that field.

Will post my results.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Appreciate it. I was planning on going into my university admin office to ask them for specific scholarship info if I needed to - can't seem to find the exact name of the last scholarship I collected and the amounts of a few others.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:32 am

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I plan on doing two things:

1. Contact my UG's financial aid office to see if they can fax me a composite receipt of my tuition expenditures. I'm old, so they probably can't.
2. Ask W&M what they want for that field.

Will post my results.

From my UG: "We are only required to keep your financial aid data for 3 years post-graduation. Sorry, old man, you're SOL."

From W&M: "We don't really care about your high school accolades, just list any scholarships, awards, recognitions received in college."

I take this to mean we should list any UG scholarships contingent on maintaining a GPA or any scholarships/awards earned in UG, but they don't care to see awards that reflect high school achievements such as $50 Rotary Club Speech Contest Winner.

esq

Postby esq » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Bummer about your college not having your scholarship info after 3 years - I thought that they kept that kind of stuff for at least 10. So it sounds like W&M want the scholarships all spelled out specifically. Hope it isn't too tricky for you without that info from your undergrad.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 pm

When I filled out the W&M app last year I just listed the names of the individual scholarships I received. I did not put anything regarding the years that these scholarships were good for or anything about how much an individual scholarship was for.

I got into W&M with money, so I would assume what I did was fine.

esq

Postby esq » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”