ED contracts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dubsky

ED contracts

Postby dubsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 pm

I was wondering how ED contracts work. What if, for example, I sign a contract with a school and then decide that I want to school in a different country? How does that look ? Nobody has dealt with this aspect of ED contracts yet!

dakatz

Re: ED contracts

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 pm

dubsky wrote:I was wondering how ED contracts work. What if, for example, I sign a contract with a school and then decide that I want to school in a different country? How does that look ? Nobody has dealt with this aspect of ED contracts yet!

Early Decision is a binding contract if you are accepted to the school to which you applied ED. If you are rejected or placed into the regular decision applicant pool, you are free to do as you like. However, if you choose to apply ED, it is expected that you fulfill your end of the bargain. You do not want the very first move in your legal career to be an unethical misstep that can hurt you for years.

dubsky

Postby dubsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 pm

naturally. But I was wondering whether it IS an ethical "misstep", so to speak, if the competitor school is not in the same country.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 pm

dubsky wrote:naturally. But I was wondering whether it IS an ethical "misstep", so to speak, if the competitor school is not in the same country.

You're still breaking a contract. I have no idea how much a foreign school would care.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:22 pm

dubsky wrote:naturally. But I was wondering whether it IS an ethical "misstep", so to speak, if the competitor school is not in the same country.

It most certainly is an ethical misstep. Just because you may not end up being punished for it doesn't change the fact that it is wrong to do so.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”