Are you all set to hit the apply button on Sep 1st?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK

Are you all set to hit the apply button on Sep 1st?

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 am

Are you planning on hitting the apply button several times on Sep 1st, or will you just start applying after that date?

Also, if you're waiting for a fee waiver, etc from schools that you are interested in, how long will you wait after Sep 1st, before simply coughing up the $$ and applying?

Knock

Re: Are you all set to hit the apply button on Sep 1st?

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Are you planning on hitting the apply button several times on Sep 1st, or will you just start applying after that date?

Also, if you're waiting for a fee waiver, etc from schools that you are interested in, how long will you wait after Sep 1st, before simply coughing up the $$ and applying?

I'm trying to get my applications in, best case scenario, by Oct. 1st. I maybe will fill out some of the questions, but I think I will be waiting on LOR's to go complete (and Oct. test score if I retake).

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Knockglock wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Are you planning on hitting the apply button several times on Sep 1st, or will you just start applying after that date?

I'm trying to get my applications in, best case scenario, by Oct. 1st. I maybe will fill out some of the questions, but I think I will be waiting on LOR's to go complete (and Oct. test score if I retake).

I'm taking LSAT for the first and last time on Oct 9th.

I understand they email test scores November 1. Does that mean I'd be able to apply that day as well?

Thank you

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Will probably send out fee waiver requests in early September(don't want to bug them by sending them out before then) since I know I won't get them the normal way since I took the LSAT too early for that. Depends if my rec letter writers get stuff in on time...I told them I'd like them "during September". So. Whenever those come in, basically.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:41 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I'm taking LSAT for the first and last time on Oct 9th.

I understand they email test scores November 1. Does that mean I'd be able to apply that day as well?

Thank you

Yup, you could go complete November 1st if you have everything else in. You can fill out your application and have absolutely everything ready to go except your LSAT score before November 1st.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I hope to be all set to go. All my LOR are done. Just waiting on my UG to finish a grade change so I can send in an updated transcript. My PS is done as are all my optional essays except the Penn 5 year plan one. The only thing that might stop me from having everything completely done on sep 1st is getting the deans letter I need cause of a unfortunate dorm alcohol citation. It sucks when stuff comes back to bite you in the ass.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Once I sure up my PS, I'm all set.

But I don't think I'm going to stress about getting them all in on the 1st. :) End of Sept sounds good, plus allows time for more waivers (I've heard that a lot of waivers go out in Sept).

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:50 pm

I will be retaking in October but will have everything else complete before then. I read somewhere that as long as my application is sent by November 1st, I will be in the early admission pool as long as my file is complete by a certain later date (I think this school had it set in December).

Does this mean I should send in my application, PS, and LORs during September and then complete my file when my LSAT score comes?

And if so, how can I keep my first LSAT score from being the score that completes my file at schools?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Mce252 wrote:I will be retaking in October but will have everything else complete before then. I read somewhere that as long as my application is sent by November 1st, I will be in the early admission pool as long as my file is complete by a certain later date (I think this school had it set in December).

Does this mean I should send in my application, PS, and LORs during September and then complete my file when my LSAT score comes?

And if so, how can I keep my first LSAT score from being the score that completes my file at schools?

Yes you should, and I think there will be something on your application that asks you to mark dates you've taken the LSAT, and any dates you are planning to take an upcoming LSAT. They will withhold reviewing your application until you get your score from the upcoming LSAT. At least it was like that on the application I looked at to familiarize myself.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 pm

I just need to polish off my PS. I'll probably ask for fee waivers for the first couple weeks of Sept and start sending apps around the 15th.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes you should, and I think there will be something on your application that asks you to mark dates you've taken the LSAT, and any dates you are planning to take an upcoming LSAT. They will withhold reviewing your application until you get your score from the upcoming LSAT. At least it was like that on the application I looked at to familiarize myself.

Thank you! And...I hope you play golf - otherwise that was quite the expensive photograph.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 pm

I will be able to submit most from Sept. 1-15, it will all depend on if all my LORs make it in time (they should) and whether my school sends off the Dean's Certificates in time (ehh....)

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Working towards that end. Waiting on a few LORs to finish up/fax them in (hoping they get processed by the 1st) and finishing up my PS/DS. I have yet to start on my Why X essays. Everything else should be complete.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Before Thanksgiving is really the most important deadline.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 pm

I'll be applying as soon as I get some fee waivers from schools after November 1. If I get to November 5 with no waivers I'll just apply to the places I really want.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

All I need is to put the finishing touches on my PS and I'm ready to rock. That means I'll be sending out my BU app in the next week or 2. Hopefully being in that early will help with the reaches.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm

nematoad wrote:All I need is to put the finishing touches on my PS and I'm ready to rock. That means I'll be sending out my BU app in the next week or 2. Hopefully being in that early will help with the reaches.

I think it will. I don't know if it matters when in Sept/Oct it goes in, but look at the T6 and look at the people with median/borderline numbers that got in. Almost all of them sent their applications in early. There is a definite correlation. Although for the sake of weeding out my competition I should recommend you guys to send in your applications after Christmas.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 pm

I am :) I have my LORs in, just need to update my transcripts once summer grades post (next weekish), my PS is just about done. and ta-da!!!

I am retaking the LSAT, but im submitting my apps on day 1 anyways, because I don't think any of the schools (except maybe a big reach) will Ding me with my current score... (I'm expecting a handful of WL)

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Barbie wrote:I am :) I have my LORs in, just need to update my transcripts once summer grades post (next weekish), my PS is just about done. and ta-da!!!

I am retaking the LSAT, but im submitting my apps on day 1 anyways, because I don't think any of the schools (except maybe a big reach) will Ding me with my current score... (I'm expecting a handful of WL)

Right there with you... just a little bit of clean up to do on some things, then I should be able to submit on Sept 1st. Can't. Wait.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

I should be ready - I've already begun hounding for my LOR's.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Bump.

Trying to decide if I need to write a "why LSAT score sucked and took 3 times" essay...

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Before Thanksgiving is really the most important deadline.

Ive heard this, do you know why?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Before Thanksgiving is really the most important deadline.

Ive heard this, do you know why?

I think it's because a lot of people will apply on their Thanksgiving break, as you generally start thinking about the next school year around this point. Meh...

granger

Postby granger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Hoping to have transcript, general application info, personal statement, additional essays, etc. in by Sept. 1. Looks like it'll all be done by then, so as soon as my LORs are in, I should be complete.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:03 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:The only thing that might stop me from having everything completely done on sep 1st is getting the deans letter I need cause of a unfortunate dorm alcohol citation. It sucks when stuff comes back to bite you in the ass.

Ildeuce wrote:and whether my school sends off the Dean's Certificates in time (ehh....)

Not to derail this thread, but this has me panicked. I was "written up" several times by my RA in the first year but there was never any action taken with the law or university. I had to write my RA a paper about what I had learned and meet with the Hall Director a couple times. Nothing serious, but is it on my record? How do I know if I need a Dean's certificate?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”