Withdrawals from classes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nickbentley

Withdrawals from classes

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:33 am

Hi,

I have a question about course withdrawal.

I have withdrawn from two classes in my college career. The courses give a grade of "W" for the course.

With that being said, how are "W's" calculated into the GPA that will be received by the law schools?

Thank you

(keep in mind, these are not withdraw/fails)

vespertiliovir

Re: Withdrawals from classes

Postby vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 am

I believe all withdraws are seen as punitive, though I could be mistaken.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 am

vespertiliovir wrote:I believe all withdraws are seen as punitive, though I could be mistaken.

You are indeed mistaken. If it's just a regular withdrawal, pending something funky from LSAC (which i've told happens every once in a while), you won't be penalized. Now if it is a punitive withdrawal, it will count as an F on your LSAC transcript.

This thread also discusses withdrawals:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125361&p=3292959&hilit=withdrawal#p3292959

Edit: based on looking at LSAC's policy I posted in a few posts down, it looked like I had incorrect information in this post. I edited the incorrect information out so as not to confuse people looking a this later.
Last edited by Knock on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 am

Knockglock wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:I believe all withdraws are seen as punitive, though I could be mistaken.

You are indeed mistaken. If it's just a regular withdrawal, pending something funky from LSAC (which i've told happens every once in a while), you won't be penalized. Now if it is a punitive withdrawal, or withdrawal-fail, it will count as an F on your LSAC transcript.

My bad, in that case.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 am

vespertiliovir wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

You are indeed mistaken. If it's just a regular withdrawal, pending something funky from LSAC (which i've told happens every once in a while), you won't be penalized. Now if it is a punitive withdrawal, or withdrawal-fail, it will count as an F on your LSAC transcript.

My bad, in that case.

No worries :mrgreen:.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:48 am

Looked this up for you, Straight from LSAC:
Grades Excluded From Conversion

* Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
* Incomplete—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
* Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.
* Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received.
* Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.
* Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail), and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits.
* Grade symbols that have multiple meanings at the issuing school, and the issuing school’s registrar is unable to confirm whether course credit was attempted (such as NC=either No Credit Attempted or No Credit Awarded, etc.). The total number of credits usually assigned to the particular type of course will appear on the applicant’s academic summary but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
* Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
* The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
* A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).

Source: http://www.lsac.org/Policies/transcript ... zation.asp

So, if i'm interpreting that correctly, basically:
If the W is nonpunative, even if it's W-Fail, it will be excluded from the GPA calculation.
If the W is punative, it will be included as a F.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 am

knockglock you are absolutlly correct.

There would be no such thing as W's if it was considered an F-the point of W's is so you don't receive an F.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm

How many schools consider a W-F punitive, though?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”