LSAT score to justify blanket application to T14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
westinghouse60

LSAT score to justify blanket application to T14?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 am

With a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), what would be a reasonable LSAT score to justify applying to all T14 schools (minus maybe HYS)? Ive looked at calculators, but haven't really gotten a consistent answer, and of course hearing the opinions of others means a lot more than comparing numbers. I've also searched for similar threads about blanketing the T14 but haven't found any relevant ones, and of course admission numbers get tougher every year, so information that may have applied to previous cycles would likely not be valid now. Anyway, I was thinking somewhere from 170-172 at the lowest would be a good number, any opinions? Thanks in advance.

sibley

Re: LSAT score to justify blanket application to T14?

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am

westinghouse60 wrote:With a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), what would be a reasonable LSAT score to justify applying to all T14 schools (minus maybe HYS)? Ive looked at calculators, but haven't really gotten a consistent answer, and of course hearing the opinions of others means a lot more than comparing numbers. I've also searched for similar threads about blanketing the T14 but haven't found any relevant ones, and of course admission numbers get tougher every year, so information that may have applied to previous cycles would likely not be valid now. Anyway, I was thinking somewhere from 170-172 at the lowest would be a good number, any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Over 172

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:05 am

westinghouse60 wrote:With a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), what would be a reasonable LSAT score to justify applying to all T14 schools (minus maybe HYS)? Ive looked at calculators, but haven't really gotten a consistent answer, and of course hearing the opinions of others means a lot more than comparing numbers. I've also searched for similar threads about blanketing the T14 but haven't found any relevant ones, and of course admission numbers get tougher every year, so information that may have applied to previous cycles would likely not be valid now. Anyway, I was thinking somewhere from 170-172 at the lowest would be a good number, any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Get a score first, but I would say 172 would be worth it to blanket CCN with that GPA. It puts you at the median at Columbia (although a likely out due to GPA), 1 above median at Chicago and NYU (although you don't really got good odds here with that GPA), and decent shots everywhere else sans Berkeley (due to GPA) and Northwestern (depending if you have any post-undergrad work experience).

If you get a 170/171, I would blanket T14 except CCN. Of course, if you don't really care about the money you can always toss an application CCN's way. You never know.

This is kind of a moot point though. Go get a real LSAT score, bring it back, and then ask for advice where to apply.

You also need to tell us how averse you are to throwing about ~$80 on an application. If you don't really care, then it would be easier to tell you to throw away money on CCN/upper-middle T14's. If you're debt averse, i'm going to tell you a higher number to throw applications CCN's way.
Last edited by Knock on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am

I'd send an app to every school where you are over the 75th percentile, although that GPA will almost certainly be a dealbreaker for YHS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”