LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gatorbull84

LOR

Postby Gatorbull84 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I was wondering who I should get my letters from. I can't ask my professors because honestly throughout undergrad I was bent on going to med school and most of them have helped me. I would feel too weird asking them for letter targeted at law school now. I have a friend that is a federal agent who regulates social security and she will write one. I have my manager at work and a few other people including someone who has worked in the public defenders office for over 20 years. Will it set me back if I dont have a letter from a professor

Thanks

thecilent

Re: LOR

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:I was wondering who I should get my letters from. I can't ask my professors because honestly throughout undergrad I was bent on going to med school and most of them have helped me. I would feel too weird asking them for letter targeted at law school now. I have a friend that is a federal agent who regulates social security and she will write one. I have my manager at work and a few other people including someone who has worked in the public defenders office for over 20 years. Will it set me back if I dont have a letter from a professor

Thanks

You should really try to get one from a professor. Not having any academic letters of rec is usually going to count against you a little bit at schools.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm

You need to get at least one from a Professor. Some schools specifically ask for one. Besides, if they were willing to help you for med school, they'll definetely be willing to help you for law school, right?

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm

The problem Im having with my professors is that I have been out of undergrad for a few years and lost contact. I just finished a masters that was directed at med school and the professors are not quick to help. Just asking for a basic letter of rec takes 5 or 6 months.

Also as bad as it sounds my pride is getting in the way. I kind of jump the gun and let some external pressure push me in the med direction and for years I have said that is what I am gonna end up doing. Now that I decided screw that, I feel like I am going back on my word.

Thanks guys I will have to see if I can look up any of my old professors

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:The problem Im having with my professors is that I have been out of undergrad for a few years and lost contact. I just finished a masters that was directed at med school and the professors are not quick to help. Just asking for a basic letter of rec takes 5 or 6 months.

Also as bad as it sounds my pride is getting in the way. I kind of jump the gun and let some external pressure push me in the med direction and for years I have said that is what I am gonna end up doing. Now that I decided screw that, I feel like I am going back on my word.

Think more about med-school, imo

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 pm

thecilent wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:The problem Im having with my professors is that I have been out of undergrad for a few years and lost contact. I just finished a masters that was directed at med school and the professors are not quick to help. Just asking for a basic letter of rec takes 5 or 6 months.

Haha. Man it really isn't for me. On top of that the debt and work schedule would be horrible. Everyone thinks that docs have it easy but after going through this masters and seeing first hand I know how crappy it is. In order to specialize I would have to dedicate the next 10 years of my life with minimal pay over 80 hrs a week. On top of that the job market even for docs is narrowing. They are opening more schools, graduating more docs, but they have not and will not increase the amt of residency spots. Its just not worth it

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Haha. Man it really isn't for me. On top of that the debt and work schedule would be horrible. Everyone thinks that docs have it easy but after going through this masters and seeing first hand I know how crappy it is. In order to specialize I would have to dedicate the next 10 years of my life with minimal pay over 80 hrs a week. On top of that the job market even for docs is narrowing. They are opening more schools, graduating more docs, but they have not and will not increase the amt of residency spots. Its just not worth it

True, true. Okayy.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Well, then send the others instead. But if a school specifically asks for an academic LOR, make them aware that you can't get one because you've been out of undergrad for awhile.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”