WHY in the world do law schools request this?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gocups

WHY in the world do law schools request this?

Postby gocups » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I will be going to USF this fall and they just requested 2 copies of FINAL official transcripts from every college or university you have ever attended, even as a visiting student or non-degree purposes.. I graduated from my undergraduate like 5 years ago. and attended junior college for high school running start program and another community college for continuing education. I haven't taken any classes since then and they know that from my application and LSAC report. I wonder why they want me to send these copies. Don't they already have ones from LSAC? Are they trying to verify that the transcripts from LSAC were legit? Am I the only one?

billyez

Re: WHY in the world do law schools request this?

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm

This is kind of odd. I've only heard of law schools just requesting the transcript from your graduating institution to verify that you got a BA. I don't know why USF would ask for one from all the schools you've attended.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm

They want to be absolutely certain everything is kosher. They are being redundant.

That being said, I had similar thoughts about my own law school, so I called them. They told me that as long as my LSAC transcripts included my degree awarded (i.e., they were not partial transcripts because they were submitted while applying as an undergrad) and I had not taken any new courses since graduating, the LSAC transcripts would be sufficient. Maybe your school is the same, maybe not.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Harvard does this, including for transfers, despite them knowing that you were already enrolled in a law school and that law school presumably verified you graduated from college before letting you in. They refuse to finalize your registration with the law school until official transcripts from all schools have been submitted, which is really screwing with me, since I've had to deal with rounding up transcripts from four undergrad institutions, one of which is a rural community college that is firmly stuck in the 20th century.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 pm

i had to send official resumes from each of my UG schools (even the stupid jr. college classes I took in high school)

gocups

Postby gocups » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 am

bump

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:08 am

People doctor documents.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:45 am

gocups wrote:bump

Don't bump a thread that's a day old. If people have something to post, they will. Otherwise, they won't.

gocups

Postby gocups » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Don't bump a thread that's a day old. If people have something to post, they will. Otherwise, they won't.

Who do u think u r? if u've got nothin to say about this topic then I advise u to zip it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

gocups wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Who do u think u r? if u've got nothin to say about this topic then I advise u to zip it.

FTFY.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:48 am

Ibtb

Softboilednolife

Postby Softboilednolife » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 am

gocups wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

yes shut da fuk up stupid no life moderator

get an STD and die bitch

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am

Softboilednolife wrote:yes shut da fuk up stupid no life moderator

get an STD and die bitch

LOL. Best alt flame ever (mostly referring to the name choice).

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:04 am

gocups wrote:Who do u think u r? if u've got nothin to say about this topic then I advise u to zip it.

get an STD and die bitch

Who past the age of 13 continues to type like that in a non-ironic non-demonstrating fashion outside of length-constraining text messages?! :shock: In my social circles that went out of style in 2004.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 am

Banned troll is banned.

Also, OP gets a 24-hour timeout. OP should learn not to alt (not clear OP was the troll, but is clear OP has been alting recently, which is naughty).

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am

Softboilednolife wrote:
gocups wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

yes shut da fuk up stupid no life moderator

get an STD and die bitch

lolol (yeah mostly at alt name)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am

acrossthelake wrote:
gocups wrote:Who do u think u r? if u've got nothin to say about this topic then I advise u to zip it.

get an STD and die bitch

Who past the age of 13 continues to type like that in a non-ironic non-demonstrating fashion outside of length-constraining text messages?! :shock: In my social circles that went out of style in 2004.

Ok, this post bothers me. It is now 2010, 2004 was 6 years ago, and I presume you are over 21. That means in 2004 you were at least 15 (probably older) and did these types of text messages, so to answer your question: you past the age of 13 continued to type like this in a non-ironic non-demonstrating fashion outside of length-constraining text messages. :shock: Hypocrite.

I suck, should've actually looked at post and realized it was a quote.
Last edited by Unitas on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 am

Unitas wrote:Ok, this post bothers me. It is now 2010, 2004 was 6 years ago, and I presume you are over 21. That means in 2004 you were at least 15 (probably older) and did these types of text messages, so to answer your question: you past the age of 13 continued to type like this in a non-ironic non-demonstrating fashion outside of length-constraining text messages. :shock: Hypocrite.

Why would you presume someone on TLS is over 21? There are probably quite a few posters who are currently 21 or even younger.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Unitas wrote:Ok, this post bothers me. It is now 2010, 2004 was 6 years ago, and I presume you are over 21. That means in 2004 you were at least 15 (probably older) and did these types of text messages, so to answer your question: you past the age of 13 continued to type like this in a non-ironic non-demonstrating fashion outside of length-constraining text messages. :shock: Hypocrite.

Why would you presume someone on TLS is over 21? There are probably quite a few posters who are currently 21 or even younger.

I looked at post history and saw she was a cellular biologist, yet I was wrong. That post on her first page of posts is a quote of someone else. She is only 19, congrats on being ahead so young.

search.php?st=0&author_id=41972&start=725
Top posts looks like hers and I thought it was, with students and all that it was a safe presumption (albeit wrong) to make that she is over 21.

To OP: It's paperwork, get used to it. If you want to be a lawyer a lot of your future life will be hunting down and using paperwork. The schools probably just want to make sure you didn't leave anything off or "forget" anything. Call them and ask if you want the best possible answer.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

get an STD and die bitch

You would be surprised at the number of people that still type like that (at least I know a good few who do). It really annoys me. Seriously, if someone cant tell the difference between when to use "your" and "you're" and "there" and "their" when typing something on Facebook, a forum, etc, I can't imagine that person would be able to tell the difference when writing an actual essay. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I just know a lot of idiots.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 pm

gocups wrote:I will be going to USF this fall and they just requested 2 copies of FINAL official transcripts from every college or university you have ever attended, even as a visiting student or non-degree purposes.. I graduated from my undergraduate like 5 years ago. and attended junior college for high school running start program and another community college for continuing education. I haven't taken any classes since then and they know that from my application and LSAC report. I wonder why they want me to send these copies. Don't they already have ones from LSAC? Are they trying to verify that the transcripts from LSAC were legit? Am I the only one?

I believe that the ABA requires certified copies of your transcripts along with the college seal to be on hand with the registrar.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

digitalcntrl wrote:
gocups wrote:I will be going to USF this fall and they just requested 2 copies of FINAL official transcripts from every college or university you have ever attended, even as a visiting student or non-degree purposes.. I graduated from my undergraduate like 5 years ago. and attended junior college for high school running start program and another community college for continuing education. I haven't taken any classes since then and they know that from my application and LSAC report. I wonder why they want me to send these copies. Don't they already have ones from LSAC? Are they trying to verify that the transcripts from LSAC were legit? Am I the only one?

I believe that the ABA requires certified copies of your transcripts along with the college seal to be on hand with the registrar.

It would appear my law school's registrar has changed positions and now believes this as well. Hooray for having to track down official transcripts at the last minute.

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 am

this is not true they only want an official transcript from the degree granting institution.

from e-mail sent to me from dean:

"Official Transcript (baccalaureate degree only)
Official Transcript Received on: XX/XX/2010

If your official transcript has been received, a date should appear above.

The American Bar Association requires all member law schools to verify receipt of your baccalaureate degree prior to the start of law school. You are REQUIRED to submit an official transcript indicating conferral of a baccalaureate degree. The official transcript must be mailed directly to USF by the degree granting institution. We only require a transcript from the university that awarded the baccalaureate degree."

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:16 am

They use it to compute your overall LSDAS GPA. Even if you took AP classes in high school for college credit, that grade that you got as a high school student will be used to compute your LSDAS GPA (because its essentially college credit). That's why its beneficial for those with mediocre GPAs to take classes as visiting students at community colleges - easy A's to boost the GPA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”