uncompleted degree - list it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samolly

uncompleted degree - list it?

Postby samolly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Would this hurt me or help me? I have completed 2/3 of an MBA program that was part of continueing education for my employer. It was through one of those 'for profit' schools (Strayer). I don't consider it an asset, but my grades were very high (and undergrad grades were not so hot). Would it help me or hurt me to include this on my LSAC transcripts? I'm assuming a possiblity of hurt because I feel some schools would look down on Strayer.

Burger in a can

Re: uncompleted degree - list it?

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

samolly wrote:Would this hurt me or help me? I have completed 2/3 of an MBA program that was part of continueing education for my employer. It was through one of those 'for profit' schools (Strayer). I don't consider it an asset, but my grades were very high (and undergrad grades were not so hot). Would it help me or hurt me to include this on my LSAC transcripts? I'm assuming a possiblity of hurt because I feel some schools would look down on Strayer.

You don't have the choice whether to include this on your LSAC transcripts.

Also, your grades in grad school are almost entirely meaningless to law school admissions. If you search through TLS a little more you'll find lots of information on the subject.

Transcripts to include:
community colleges
bachelor's and graduate institutions
law/medical/professional institutions
institutions attended for summer or evening courses
institutions attended even though a degree was never received
institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study

Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if:
credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution's transcript
the institution is closed
(These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state's department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
"withdraw," "incomplete," etc., are the only grades listed
you have just enrolled
(Request that the registrar's office send a transcript of courses "in progress" or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar's seal.)

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 pm

just curious...why did you start an MBA at Strayer if you were leery of their reputation?

samolly

Postby samolly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm

just curious...why did you start an MBA at Strayer if you were leery of their reputation?

Employer encouraged us to use our tuition reiumbursement toward MBA's from school's like it - there are MANY 'for profit' schools in my area. If your not familiar, I kind of equate it with University of Phoenix.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”