Will take any advice. Tough Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What to do?

Option 1
61%
Option 2
39%

Total votes: 57

Total Litigator

Re: Will take any advice. Tough Situation

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm

IMO, Oklahoma would look better for local politics, unless you get into a T14. I think this works because people tend to universally respect their own institutions and the elite national ones. Coming from Oregon myself, you see quite a few people in politics with J.D.'s from elite schools and quite a few with J.D's from Lewis & Clark and the University of Oregon (the two best law schools in Oregon). You don't, however, see a whole lot of people in Oregon politics with "University of Connecticut" after their name.

WLWL

Postby WLWL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice thus far. I am still 50/50 on what to do. Parents are offering me
cash and a new car if I attend OK this year. I guess I would start at around 100k coming straight out. I am a bit worried because I went to admitted students at OK and it did not seem like a good fit.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm

WLWL wrote:Thanks for the advice thus far. I am still 50/50 on what to do. Parents are offering me
cash and a new car if I attend OK this year. I guess I would start at around 100k coming straight out. I am a bit worried because I went to admitted students at OK and it did not seem like a good fit.

At this point in life, I think it's hard to appreciate what "debt free" and "guaranteed job" really mean. In this economy, you can find scores of formerly starry eyed, elite school students that would swap places with you in a heartbeat. I can relate on wanting to go to a prestigious school instead of the local state school. However, especially given that you want to get into local politics, I think Oklahoma is the right choice.

WLWL

Postby WLWL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Ah, I understand where you are coming from but I had put so much time into studying and I really wanted 1 more shot. However, is a Georgetown or Vandy worth it?

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 am

Something else to think about: It sounds like your dad has a fairly strong personality. Some people don't have a problem following in their father's footsteps, others do. If you have the slightest inkling that it may bother you down the road that you didn't do it your way, best to give it another shot at the other schools.

I make no value judgment either way. I know some people who are perfectly content traveling down the path that their parents placed in front of them while others who have come to resent it. It really just comes down to each individual's preferences.

WLWL

Postby WLWL » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 am

I do not mind following in my fathers footsteps. I just really wanted to go to a well renowned law school.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 am

I say option one. You have the oppurtunity to graduate debt free! I'd kill for that! Plus, you're pretty much guaranteed a job. I'd take the money and run. :D

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 am

It sounds like you aren't 100% that you want to work for your Dad in OK, so I there is a good possibility that down the road you'll regret deciding on option 1.

I think that's a good enough reason to pick option 2: The only difference is waiting a year and getting work experience. You'll simply have the same options next year, except you'll most likely have better ones as well if you score at your new PT range (bigger scholarship at local school or the ability to go to a T14 (however, evern WUSL would give you a great foundation for working in the OK area). I think its worth it, at least so you can think about your options for a year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”