What to do if you're unsure of a LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acrossthelake

What to do if you're unsure of a LOR?

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:13 pm

So some of the law school applications are asking how many LORs you plan to submit and to list the names of the recommenders. I have two LORs that I know that are coming in for sure, but I have a third that is ???...the prof had surgery for cancer at the beg. of the summer so I have no idea if that particular prof will actually write it and I don't want to e-mail to bug the prof or even to say not to do it since I have other profs covering it(should I do that?)...

soo...what do I mark/say? Should I just say 2 and leave that prof off? If that prof does write one, I expect it'll be really good (I've taken a lecture class and a seminar class with that professor, and TA'ed for that professor, and that professor refers to me "one of her girls" in general) so I'll want to include it, I'm just not sure if it'll come in.

cubswin

Re: What to do if you're unsure of a LOR?

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Um. Where do they ask this? You will have all your letters in order by the time you submit your application.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:24 pm

cubswin wrote:Um. Where do they ask this? You will have all your letters in order by the time you submit your application.

It's on the primary application for Columbia(Question 22) and I think Duke. And no...my point is that I'm not sure if the third will ever come in, ever, so I don't plan to wait for that one, but I'm not sure if I should list it anyway.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:25 pm

cubswin wrote:Um. Where do they ask this? You will have all your letters in order by the time you submit your application.

That's not true. You can submit LORs later.

I'd send out you're apps when you have the required about of LORs and if the 3rd comes in, submit it later.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 pm

jmhendri wrote:

That's not true. You can submit LORs later.

I'd send out you're apps when you have the required about of LORs and if the 3rd comes in, submit it later.

Thanks!
Should I mark it on my app or just let it come in as a surprise?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”