Which schools 10-30 have the most holistic admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JakeL

Which schools 10-30 have the most holistic admissions?

Postby JakeL » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Because of my weak GPA, curious which schools have the most holistic approaches. Boalt(T10 I know), Northwestern seem obvious, but others are less clear. Georgetown, Illinois, BostonU, and ND seem to fall into the less clear category. Anyone care to clear this up and/or let me know if I'm missing any? Thanks.

Whitestone

Re: Which schools 10-30 have the most holistic admissions?

Postby Whitestone » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm

JakeL wrote:Because of my weak GPA, curious which schools have the most holistic approaches. Boalt(T10 I know), Northwestern seem obvious, but others are less clear. Georgetown, Illinois, BostonU, and ND seem to fall into the less clear category. Anyone care to clear this up and/or let me know if I'm missing any? Thanks.

"weak GPA" and "Boalt" don't belong in the same sentence, unless you mean to say "I have no chance at Boalt because of my weak GPA."

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Iowa

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Are you a splitter or are you just someone with weak stats who published a bestselling novel?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Whitestone wrote:
JakeL wrote:Because of my weak GPA, curious which schools have the most holistic approaches. Boalt(T10 I know), Northwestern seem obvious, but others are less clear. Georgetown, Illinois, BostonU, and ND seem to fall into the less clear category. Anyone care to clear this up and/or let me know if I'm missing any? Thanks.

"weak GPA" and "Boalt" don't belong in the same sentence, unless you mean to say "I have no chance at Boalt because of my weak GPA."

If you could read, "weak GPA" and "Boalt" were never in the same sentence.

To the other poster though, I am a splitter with strong softs (not Prozac Nation level though). I didn't think it was necessary to put my numbers up because I was just trying to compile a list that others could potentially use as well.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm

No school regularly pays close attention to softs when numbers leave something to be desired. Stick to seeking out splitter-friendly schools.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Okay here is the Bumi-approved list of T50 splitter friendly schools. Guaranteed to be inaccurate and outdated and cobbled together from rumor and dreams.
  • Virginia (if by "splitter" you mean 177/3.4)
  • Michigan (ditto)
  • Northwestern (if you have WE)
  • Georgetown
  • WUSTL
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Indiana-Bloomington
  • Minnesota
  • Washington and Lee
  • Ohio State
  • Wisconsin
  • Honestly if it's freezing and there's corn nearby, you bet your ass there are splitters about.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:15 pm

JakeL wrote:
Whitestone wrote:

If you could read, "weak GPA" and "Boalt" were never in the same sentence.

I don't think he accused you of using them in the same sentence as much as he used a common expression to establish his point. Regardless, you are still highly mistaken in thinking that Boalt is a good place for people with weak GPAs to apply.

One school you are missing, with an "LSAT Whore" reputation, would be WUSTL. The magic number there is 168, I believe.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:32 pm

LOL at Northwestern being holistic. I bet they don't even read the Personal statements.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Northwestern and Michigan will take anybody with a 171+. You could have a murder charge pending and they'd still WL you. As long as the charge is dropped, you're WL -> IN. Even if you're convicted, I'm guessing WL -> IN at Northwestern, WL -> Soft Rejection at Michigan.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Northwestern and Michigan will take anybody with a 171+. You could have a murder charge pending and they'd still WL you. As long as the charge is dropped, you're WL -> IN. Even if you're convicted, I'm guessing WL -> IN at Northwestern, WL -> Soft Rejection at Michigan.

172/3.8, rejected at Mich.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Northwestern and Michigan will take anybody with a 171+. You could have a murder charge pending and they'd still WL you. As long as the charge is dropped, you're WL -> IN. Even if you're convicted, I'm guessing WL -> IN at Northwestern, WL -> Soft Rejection at Michigan.

Michigan isn't taking sub 3.0 splitters. UVA will dip lower than Mich if you a) ED and b) are above a 3.0 and have at least a 171. Northwestern will take you if you a) ED and b) have WE and c) have at least 171 (173 is safe) and a GPA (that could be pretty much anything).

Honestly if it's freezing and there's corn nearby, you bet your ass there are splitters about.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also: APPLY EARLY. Do not underestimate this warning. Applications after Dec. 1st are pretty much death to splitters. Applications at the deadline (or any application that you need to hold if you are re-taking) aren't even worth the app fee because the class will be filled and they won't need your splitter ass.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm

clintonius wrote:

I also made that LSAT cutoff and was flat out rejected from Michigan.
Last edited by cubswin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL at Northwestern being holistic. I bet they don't even read the Personal statements.

you can show up to the interview puking/still drunk and get in.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:LOL at Northwestern being holistic. I bet they don't even read the Personal statements.

Any school that accepted, desert fox, rose tyler, boojs, nayboer, iafg, hollygl, and corsair must be number based.

My PS sounded like it was written by a dsylexic foreigner with brain damage.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by Sell Manilla on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Any school that accepted, desert fox, rose tyler, boojs, nayboer, iafg, hollygl, and corsair must be number based.

It also makes me feel much safer posting on TLS. Obviously adcomms, at least NU's, don't read these boards :mrgreen:.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Bumi wrote:Okay here is the Bumi-approved list of T50 splitter friendly schools. Guaranteed to be inaccurate and outdated and cobbled together from rumor and dreams.
  • Michigan (ditto)
  • Georgetown
  • WUSTL
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Indiana-Bloomington
  • Minnesota
  • Washington and Lee
  • Ohio State
  • Wisconsin
  • Honestly if it's freezing and there's corn nearby, you bet your ass there are splitters about.

This made me lol.... :lol:

OP, we could probably give you better advice if we have your numbers. Different schools have different floors, and "weak" could be interpreted as anywhere between 1.0~3.5.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Bumi wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen something both so funny and truthful at the same time.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

LOL

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm

by holistic you mean most forgiving of a low gpa?
the most forgiving is northwestern...they accept applicants with sub 3.0 gpas as long as they have fulltime WE and a 170+ lsat.

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:34 am

Berkeley

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:25 am

kazu wrote:
Bumi wrote:Okay here is the Bumi-approved list of T50 splitter friendly schools. Guaranteed to be inaccurate and outdated and cobbled together from rumor and dreams.
  • Michigan (ditto)
  • Georgetown
  • WUSTL
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Indiana-Bloomington
  • Minnesota
  • Washington and Lee
  • Ohio State
  • Wisconsin

This made me lol.... :lol:

OP, we could probably give you better advice if we have your numbers. Different schools have different floors, and "weak" could be interpreted as anywhere between 1.0~3.5.

TITCR

If you look through GPA/LSAT chart from schools, you can find admitted applicants with stat as low as 150/3.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Northwestern with WE.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:38 pm

clintonius wrote:

Ouch, ya'll's year sucked. In '08 I was in at Mich with 3.4/171.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”