LSDAS GPA - does a W count against you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justhockey31

LSDAS GPA - does a W count against you?

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey, I am writing to ask because I want to know if I need to add a write up about the 2 W's I have from a community college from before I went to my undergraduate school. I had to drop the two classes because I made a junior A hockey team in Albany and had to leave mid semester. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Knock

Re: LSDAS GPA - does a W count against you?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:14 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Hey, I am writing to ask because I want to know if I need to add a write up about the 2 W's I have from a community college from before I went to my undergraduate school. I had to drop the two classes because I made a junior A hockey team in Albany and had to leave mid semester. Any info would be great. Thanks.

If it is a punitive W or W-Fail then use it counts as an F. If it is just a regular, non-punitive W it is not counted.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Knockglock wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Hey, I am writing to ask because I want to know if I need to add a write up about the 2 W's I have from a community college from before I went to my undergraduate school. I had to drop the two classes because I made a junior A hockey team in Albany and had to leave mid semester. Any info would be great. Thanks.

If it is a punitive W or W-Fail then use it counts as an F. If it is just a regular, non-punitive W it is not counted.

Thus is correct. It depends on whether your school treats it as a punitive/failing grade. If they don't, LSAC won't either.

(Said as someone with about 12 W's in the course of his college career.)

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

so if the school does not count the credits toward your gpa then neither does lsdas? I'm sorry I am just not sure. The my school transcript just says W, not W-F or anything like that.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thus is correct. It depends on whether your school treats it as a punitive/failing grade. If they don't, LSAC won't either.

(Said as someone with about 12 W's in the course of his college career.)

Did you write an addendum for your 12 W's? In an earlier thread someone was wondering if they should write one for something like 8-10 W's.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

justhockey31 wrote:so if the school does not count the credits toward your gpa then neither does lsdas? I'm sorry I am just not sure. The my school transcript just says W, not W-F or anything like that.

You should be in the clear then, although I was recently informed that sometimes LSAC does funky things with W's, so you can't be 100% sure until you send in your transcripts to LSAC.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Knockglock wrote:Did you write an addendum for your 12 W's? In an earlier thread someone was wondering if they should write one for something like 8-10 W's.

That was three different semesters' worth. Because of the circumstances, the reason for the W's both got mentioned in a PS and also got fully explained in an addendum. Letting 1-2 W's slide is one thing, but three semesters' worth? You bet your ass I explained it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Did you write an addendum for your 12 W's? In an earlier thread someone was wondering if they should write one for something like 8-10 W's.

That was three different semesters' worth. Because of the circumstances, the reason for the W's both got mentioned in a PS and also got fully explained in an addendum. Letting 1-2 W's slide is one thing, but three semesters' worth? You bet your ass I explained it.

That's what I figured. Looks like it didn't hurt your application though :P.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Search here:

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”