Professing your love for a school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
username99

Professing your love for a school?

Postby username99 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Does it help at all if you tell a school you will definitely attend if admitted? I really want to go to Texas but it is a reach for sure. If I write that I will absolutely attend if admitted and/or send a separate note to this affect (letting them know it is my top choice and dream to attend), would that sway a borderline case? I realize that anyone is capable of saying that to any school and I also realize that the response will not be (Wow, you love us!? Come on in!!) but is there a chance it could help at all?

blurbz

Re: Professing your love for a school?

Postby blurbz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't think that simply saying that you love the school and will attend will help you, but I believe that if you work it into a separate addendum where you discuss why you like the school, it might. I submitted "Why X" essays of about 200 words to all schools that I thought were reach/targets where I discussed specific programs at the school that interested me and I think they served me well in my cycle.

Don't just say you want to attend: Give them your reasons: Why does this program at this school attract you so much? What is it about this internship/externship/clinic opportunity that is so unique and why are YOU a good fit for that program? Etc..

schnoodle

Postby schnoodle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 pm

well... let's look at this from the analogy of dating. if you tell a girl you love her and will absolutely marry her if she wants, she'll file that away and, in the event that she can't find someone better than you, take you up on the offer.

sounds like a trip to the waitlist.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm

schnoodle wrote:well... let's look at this from the analogy of dating. if you tell a girl you love her and will absolutely marry her if she wants, she'll file that away and, in the event that she can't find someone better than you, take you up on the offer.

sounds like a trip to the waitlist.

Except law schools have the yield statistic, and it's one of the factors that goes into calculating the all-important law school rankings. So it might help very slightly, try not to come off as desperate. Write the Why X?, explain that Texas is your top choice and you would attend if admitted, and hope for the best.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:44 pm

If it's a reach then you should probably ED if it really is your top choice.

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Well let me ask then - is it better to incorporate the Why X thing into the personal statement (which I did when I applied several years ago and worked out well) or to do the separate essay?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

username99 wrote:Well let me ask then - is it better to incorporate the Why X thing into the personal statement (which I did when I applied several years ago and worked out well) or to do the separate essay?

Separate essay. You get more words to showcase your writing skills and can have both developed more in depth rather than trying to combine them into one.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

IIRC Texas doesn't accept Why X or diversity statements. I need to double check this with the admissions office though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Tiva wrote:IIRC Texas doesn't accept Why X or diversity statements. I need to double check this with the admissions office though.

This may be true. Though many schools don't ask specifically for these types of documents, some say things along the lines of "you may include any and all other documents that may be helpful in evaluating your application."

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
Tiva wrote:IIRC Texas doesn't accept Why X or diversity statements. I need to double check this with the admissions office though.

This may be true. Though many schools don't ask specifically for these types of documents, some say things along the lines of "you may include any and all other documents that may be helpful in evaluating your application."

Yah, I brought this question up in the Texas 2013 thread and someone mentioned having asked --- the response according to them was that they prefer to have this information included in your PS. I am going to double check with the admissions office though.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't think that simply saying that you love the school and will attend will help you, but I believe that if you work it into a separate addendum where you discuss why you like the school, it might. I submitted "Why X" essays of about 200 words to all schools that I thought were reach/targets where I discussed specific programs at the school that interested me and I think they served me well in my cycle.

Don't just say you want to attend: Give them your reasons: Why does this program at this school attract you so much? What is it about this internship/externship/clinic opportunity that is so unique and why are YOU a good fit for that program? Etc..

You should write an addendum for that?

For example, I want to go to University of Connecticut. I'm interested in their insurance law program.

I'm a 4th generation insurance agent and I'll have four years of full-time insurance sales experience under my belt when I apply for law school (I worked full-time through school). Through my work in the industry, I've gathered a large amount of contacts, including some from Hartford, Connecticut.

Would this sort of information be good to give them?

Thanks!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm

nickbentley wrote:
blurbz wrote:I don't think that simply saying that you love the school and will attend will help you, but I believe that if you work it into a separate addendum where you discuss why you like the school, it might. I submitted "Why X" essays of about 200 words to all schools that I thought were reach/targets where I discussed specific programs at the school that interested me and I think they served me well in my cycle.

You should write an addendum for that?

For example, I want to go to University of Connecticut. I'm interested in their insurance law program.

I'm a 4th generation insurance agent and I'll have four years of full-time insurance sales experience under my belt when I apply for law school (I worked full-time through school). Through my work in the industry, I've gathered a large amount of contacts, including some from Hartford, Connecticut.

Would this sort of information be good to give them?

Thanks!

I think this could work great in a Why U. Conn.? Essay.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I don't know that your contacts/etc would be the best way to bring it up, but certainly you can talk about your background in the field and how your experience makes you a good fit for the specific program. If you do it right, the Why X will demonstrate that not only are you excited about the school and its programs, but that you are also a desirable candidate who will enrich the experiences of others at the school and in the program.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:13 pm

bk1 wrote:If it's a reach then you should probably ED if it really is your top choice.

UT's ED is not binding.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't know that your contacts/etc would be the best way to bring it up, but certainly you can talk about your background in the field and how your experience makes you a good fit for the specific program. If you do it right, the Why X will demonstrate that not only are you excited about the school and its programs, but that you are also a desirable candidate who will enrich the experiences of others at the school and in the program.

Great idea. I don't want to act cool like "Oh I know so many people in the industry, I'm so popular" :shock:

I just want to show that the background in the field will give me a headstart into the program...

So do all schools have a "Why School X..." essay?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:16 pm

nickbentley wrote:
blurbz wrote:I don't know that your contacts/etc would be the best way to bring it up, but certainly you can talk about your background in the field and how your experience makes you a good fit for the specific program. If you do it right, the Why X will demonstrate that not only are you excited about the school and its programs, but that you are also a desirable candidate who will enrich the experiences of others at the school and in the program.

Great idea. I don't want to act cool like "Oh I know so many people in the industry, I'm so popular" :shock:

I just want to show that the background in the field will give me a headstart into the program...

Most schools will accept one if you write one, even if they don't explicitly say so. Still, call the admissions office to make sure and be safe.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:

Most schools will accept one if you write one, even if they don't explicitly say so. Still, call the admissions office to make sure and be safe.

Cool...

Is there a specific form that should be used?

Should it be typed up as a letter?

An essay?

Thx

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:

Cool...

An essay?

Thx

Nope, it's just an essay, keep it at a page or less.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:

Cool...

An essay?

Thx

Mine were all pretty brief, coming in well under a page at between 200 and 250 words. Just ensure they are well-written! I really liked my Why X essays because they allowed me to discuss specific programs at schools without compromising my personal statement, which really wasn't written to have any school specific information in it.

Mine weren't letters. I formatted them like this:

Name
Why X?
LSAC # ZZZZZZZZZ

Text text text.

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm

blurbz wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
nickbentley wrote:

Cool...

An essay?

Thx

Mine were all pretty brief, coming in well under a page at between 200 and 250 words. Just ensure they are well-written! I really liked my Why X essays because they allowed me to discuss specific programs at schools without compromising my personal statement, which really wasn't written to have any school specific information in it.

Mine weren't letters. I formatted them like this:

Name
Why X?
LSAC # ZZZZZZZZZ

Text text text.

Awesome... Did you feel like they helped in your admission process? Did you get into schools that you thought may be a stretch?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”