Two quick questions - TIA! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
supahstahxruv

Bronze

Two quick questions - TIA!

Post by supahstahxruv » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Last edited by supahstahxruv on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Re: Two quick questions - TIA!

Post by blurbz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:35 pm

If you don't think that your adviser's letter will be as strong as your more traditional letters, feel free to not submit it!

As to your second question: What are your numbers?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:59 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:Hi all,

It's August and I am SO ready to take on this beast that is the app process. Too bad I have so many questions :( If anyone could help out with the below that would be AWESOME.

1) LOR's - my school has a system where our advisors write us a third letter of rec to be included with the app. i was already planning on submitting three letters (two academic, one from a heavily-involved EC) which would bring my total up to four, which is kind of ridiculous. what are your thoughts on submitting just one academic and one EC rec letter instead so that it brings my total up to three with my advisor's letter? esp for schools that only ask for one rec letter i'm worried that they'll view my excess of recs as annoying or even fishy.

2) Is Yale the only T14 school in which applying solidly early (i.e. before Halloween) would NOT significantly improve my chances?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.
Submitting 4 LORs to LSAC is not the same as submitting 4 to schools. Once uploaded on LSDAS you can individually select what LORs to send to each school (i.e. you can send prof x+prof z to school A but prof y and EC1 to school B)

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm

As to your second question: What are your numbers?
172/3.54 - thanks for your response!
Submitting 4 LORs to LSAC is not the same as submitting 4 to schools. Once uploaded on LSDAS you can individually select what LORs to send to each school (i.e. you can send prof x+prof z to school A but prof y and EC1 to school B)
Sorry, I guess what I meant was that, even for schools that ask for 2 academic recs, submitting the 2 academic recs + EC rec + advisor rec would seem excessive and unnecessary, but I didn't know if submitting just 1 academic rec in addition to the EC rec + advisor rec would seem odd since they ask for 2.

also, I think that the advisor rec is used in place of the dean's letter, so it'll be something that I'll have to include.

Thanks so much!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:Hi all,

It's August and I am SO ready to take on this beast that is the app process. Too bad I have so many questions :( If anyone could help out with the below that would be AWESOME.

1) LOR's - my school has a system where our advisors write us a third letter of rec to be included with the app. i was already planning on submitting three letters (two academic, one from a heavily-involved EC) which would bring my total up to four, which is kind of ridiculous. what are your thoughts on submitting just one academic and one EC rec letter instead so that it brings my total up to three with my advisor's letter? esp for schools that only ask for one rec letter i'm worried that they'll view my excess of recs as annoying or even fishy.

2) Is Yale the only T14 school in which applying solidly early (i.e. before Halloween) would NOT significantly improve my chances?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.
Pretty much. Maybe S too, because they're much more holistic and take more time evaluating applications (just guessing there though), but everywhere else I think it's safe to assume that applying before Halloween is the best play.

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

also, I think that the advisor rec is used in place of the dean's letter, so it'll be something that I'll have to include.

Thanks so much!
Well...no....unless you've done something(you got into academic probation or you got into trouble at school) that requires you have a dean's letter?
hm, i was under the impression that there are schools that require a dean's letter/certification that indicate the student is in good standing, etc etc etc? apparently they write a letter to go along with this form.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”