best way to ask for LORs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture

New

best way to ask for LORs?

Post by inthefuture » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm

how should I ask my recommenders? is it important to ask in person, or is via email fine? what should be included in the first email? what about second one, assuming they agreed to write it? thanks.

zanda

Silver

Re: best way to ask for LORs?

Post by zanda » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:34 pm

in person

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:35 pm

inthefuture wrote:how should I ask my recommenders? is it important to ask in person, or is via email fine? what should be included in the first email? what about second one, assuming they agreed to write it? thanks.
In person is better, but since it is summer and you may be away, email is acceptable.

Just ask the professor if he would be willing to write you a positive recommendation. Any signs of hesitancy or anything, bail. LOR's, in many cases, won't make your application. However, if you get a negative one they can break your application.

Second email, include your resume, PS, DS (if you wrote one), bullet point lists of things you want the writer to address, transcript with the classes you took with that professor highlighted (if academic rec, which you need at least 1 if at all possible), and any essays you wrote for that professor. If non-academic, disregard the last two.

Also very important, stamped envelopes with LSAC's mailing address, or the faxing phone number.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm

If you're asking professors, and you won't see them until school starts again, you can always just send a short, polite email asking if they'd be willing. If they say yes, then you can arrange to meet with them in person in September. That way, you can know whether or not you'll need to look for other writers and still have time to find them.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

By using the TLS search function and typing that same question there.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:36 am

FWIW--I called up both of my professors

just get right to the point, no reason to make nice and go through pleasantries and shoot the sh*t about life, etc., unless you were very close with them in college... you won't be the first to ask for a recommendation nor the last, they understand how the process works, and should be glad to extend a hand.

afterward send a few nice follow up emails or phone calls. i sent both professors a fruit/cookie basket when I was accepted. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”