To include or exclude in Resume (or PS)?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ExpectLess

To include or exclude in Resume (or PS)?

Postby ExpectLess » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 am

Last edited by ExpectLess on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Re: To include or exclude in Resume (or PS)?

Postby billyez » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 am

I really doubt that you're going to get a call from the adcomm's asking you why you resigned. The thing is...you sound so uncomfortable about this that I almost want to advise you not to put it on your resume, but why wouldn't you? Just put Teach for America and the time that you were there. That's it.

But just to clear, it's not like an adcomm is going to say - well, there's this gap in this dude's resume, he must have just been screwing around during this period of time...relax, dude.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Definitely leave it on your resume because, supposedly, just being accepted to TFA is a favorable quality. At the same time, adcomms know that the TFA contract is two years. You broke a contract. There might be questions as to why. Leaving because of "very bad circumstances" has the potential to work against you. Especially if these circumstances were the school being too unsafe, the kids being too unruly, the job being too stressful. (There's kind of a "duh" factor with that excuse). Now, before I assume away (which I already have) -- why is it that you quit?

So, leave it on your resume. Touch upon why you left in your PS. Try to not sound like a flake /weakling. At the end of the day, if your numbers are where they should be it shouldn't affect you too much.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:26 pm

I wouldn't even mention it anywhere else, but that's just my opinion. Leave it on your resume, put what your duties were in the organization and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't mention resigning in the PS unless you wanted it to be there, but that appears unlikely based on your trepidation to include it in your resume.

I think this is "really not that big of a deal territory". Don't worry about it. As Shucking noted, for the most part, this is a numbers game.

P.S. I'm glad Shucking reminded me of how prestigious a spot there is - there was an article in the NYT a while ago that noted someone that "settled" with going to Virginia Law after not getting a spot there. So, yes, put it on there.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Get a good LSAT score and apply. Dont worry so much about what to put on your resume and whatnot. An 8 or 10 month gap in employment is not important if you get an LSAT score thats at or above (preferebly above) your desired schools median.

Good luck!

P.S: Keep it off the resume.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by ExpectLess on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:13 pm

A 9 month gap shouldn't worry you. There are people with much much much greater gaps in employment/school/anything. In this economy, gaps shouldn't surprise admissions people. Just my two cents.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:17 pm

ExpectLess wrote:The reason I'm so torn about including it is because my top choice is Stanford. I have a 4.0/172, but soft factors are what get you in to Stanford, and I'm just not sure if an 9 month gap or quitting TFA looks worse. Harvard and Columbia are my second and third choices, and I'm less worried about the TFA situation with them (although I'm thinking I might be WLed from Harvard anyway).

Especially if these circumstances were the school being too unsafe, the kids being too unruly, the job being too stressful. (There's kind of a "duh" factor with that excuse). Now, before I assume away (which I already have) -- why is it that you quit?

Bingo. It's a bit more extreme than that accounts for, however (at least my placement was). I knew it would be tough; I did not know I would be attempting to manage convicted rapists and breaking up fist fights with kids larger than I. I care about TFA's mission, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask that a 22 year old be utterly and completely miserable every hour of the day, particularly when I no longer agree with the means with which they went about the mission. I feel like there's no way to include that without the potential to turn an adcomm off, and just including it on the resume without any other mention as to why I resigned also seems questionable.

I could, without lying, say that I helped out my family and studied for the LSAT during my time off. The problem with this, however, comes in with my recommenders, both of whom know I was doing TFA and left due to exceptionally bad circumstances. I could ask them not to mention TFA, but then I feel like I'd be pushing the line of being disingenuous in my application.

Yeah, once again, I sense that if you put this on the resume you're just going to be worrying about it all the time. I really don't think it's something you should worry about it, but if I learned anything from my cycle, it's that the application season really doesn't need anymore anxiety attached to it. Leave it off it's going to bug you this badly, but I still say that the fact that you were accepted into such a great program that should be known.

I actually think it shows a level of maturity that you didn't just stay there - you recognized that this wasn't for you and you left. It's not something to be ashamed of.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:11 pm

ExpectLess wrote:Bingo. It's a bit more extreme than that accounts for, however (at least my placement was). I knew it would be tough; I did not know I would be attempting to manage convicted rapists and breaking up fist fights with kids larger than I. I care about TFA's mission, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask that a 22 year old be utterly and completely miserable every hour of the day, particularly when I no longer agree with the means with which they went about the mission. I feel like there's no way to include that without the potential to turn an adcomm off, and just including it on the resume without any other mention as to why I resigned also seems questionable.

To second Billeyz, I do not think your reason for leaving is going to be a turn off, and could possibly work to your advantage. In my opinion, TFA does a good job at indoctrinating its cohorts with the idea that their methods are the best, and most often go along without questioning it. From what you just wrote, it seems like you have a reason more than "this is too hard," but rather "this isn't effective." That's the difference. I don't think it's a good idea to leave it off your resume as if it never happened. It's shady, for lack of a better word, and if you're looking for a little boost from your softs, it can't hurt you. Staying in a school like the one you mentioned for half a year obviously wasn't a cakewalk; it shows some strength--definitely shows more strength than a mysterious gap of nothingness. But now I"m beginning to think that mentioning it in a PS will bring about more questions than it answers. Resume, yes, anywhere else, no.

McNulty wrote:A 9 month gap shouldn't worry you. There are people with much much much greater gaps in employment/school/anything. In this economy, gaps shouldn't surprise admissions people. Just my two cents.

The difference between gaps spurred by a bad economy, and the OP's gap is that the OP's gap wouldn't be sincere. He/she had a job. He/she wouldn't simply be admitting that a gap exists, but creating one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”