early application or updated transcript? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justhockey31

Bronze

early application or updated transcript?

Post by justhockey31 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I am having a hard time deciding between applying right after I get my October LSAT score or to wait until mid-December when I have my fall quarter grades back...Does the advantage of applying very early outweigh the .05-.1 gpa boost I could get from a strong quarter?

PrincessLexiRae

New

Re: early application or updated transcript?

Post by PrincessLexiRae » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm in the same boat...I think I've decided to send in my applications as soon as October scores are released.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:07 pm

apply early and then send updated transcript in December?

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:apply early and then send updated transcript in December?
do this

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:12 pm

That was my original plan but when I emailed the admissions office of Fordham they warned me of the "inertia effect" meaning if I was to be rejected right away, it would be tough for the office to get over this while looking at my updated transcript. I guess I should apply early, update in December and hope that it helps or that I just get in right away!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:14 pm

justhockey31 wrote:That was my original plan but when I emailed the admissions office of Fordham they warned me of the "inertia effect" meaning if I was to be rejected right away, it would be tough for the office to get over this while looking at my updated transcript. I guess I should apply early, update in December and hope that it helps or that I just get in right away!
given your gpa, a .1 boost really wont mean anything. you're still going to be quite a splitter

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 pm

Do you have to update the transcript through LSAC or do you just send it straight to the school?

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:Do you have to update the transcript through LSAC or do you just send it straight to the school?
if you send it to LSAC they automatically forward it to all the schools you applied to, so it's a bit easier doing it that way

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:46 pm

capitalacq wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:apply early and then send updated transcript in December?
do this
Do this...only if you receive grades that won't lower your LSAC GPA.

And for the record, I believe applying early is worth worth more than the marginial boost you might receive in regards to your GPA by waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:56 pm

What are your numbers? I feel like the difference between, say, a 2.9 and a 3.0 is much different than a 3.1 to a 3.2.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm not too sure Barbie. In terms of face value, a 2.9 certainly has a different flavor from a 3.0...but in either case, you're probably below median and you'd do better getting your application in early in such an instance.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:06 pm

billyez wrote:I'm not too sure Barbie. In terms of face value, a 2.9 certainly has a different flavor from a 3.0...but in either case, you're probably below median and you'd do better getting your application in early in such an instance.
I feel like it more depends on if the OP is a borderline canidate. If so, I feel like a 3.0 could mean an accept over a waitlist. Being in the "B" range rather than the "C" range tends to be big. I applied to a few schools last year with my lower LSAT and with a 2.9 (eeek) and it didn't go well. I have a 3.1 after spring and summer (5 A+/A and a B+) and I feel like that will help me a lot (oh.. and the 9 point LSAT increase maybe) but it seems like the GPA makes a big difference on predictors and LSN and stuff liek that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”