final semester of ug

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Final semester, only have to take two classes for my major. The other 4 I'll be taking are my choice. Easier classes to bump gpa OR harder classes that will be interesting but time consuming (less of a guarantee I'll get an A). A mix of both?

jdhonest
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby jdhonest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Get A's.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 pm

chill out magnnnn, take the easy classes, the As, and spend the free time making your LS apps spectacular, or doing something else productive. (networking? PT job?)

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby thecilent » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Do you need 6 classes to graduate? If not...

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:12 am

It doesn't matter. Unless the school asks for it, don't send the transcript of the final semester to LSAC. Done.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby kazu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 am

If you need that GPA bump, take the easier ones. If you don't need it do as billyez says and don't send an updated transcript. However, if you get waitlisted I think some schools like to see updated transcripts or whatever - and if you get all Cs or something that probably won't go well.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:39 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby kazu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
billyez wrote:It doesn't matter. Unless the school asks for it, don't send the transcript of the final semester to LSAC. Done.


lolwut

Send a transcript to LSAC now to be processed before your final semester. Since a lot of people apply while in school, LSAC doesn't care if you've graduated or not.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:42 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
billyez wrote:It doesn't matter. Unless the school asks for it, don't send the transcript of the final semester to LSAC. Done.


lolwut


You don't have to send your final transcript to LSAC. You just have to send your final transcript confirming your graduation to the school you're matriculating too.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:43 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:44 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
billyez wrote:It doesn't matter. Unless the school asks for it, don't send the transcript of the final semester to LSAC. Done.


lolwut

I don't think withholding transcripts is a good idea. I thought most schools would eventually want final transcripts anyway.

No. Not "lolwut." If your final semester of UG is in the fall of your application year, you don't have to update your LSAC GPA with your new grades. If you look at the threads from last cycle, there were peole talking about just not updating their LSAC GPA because their LSAC GPA would have gone down. If your GPA does go down, then you can be put on notice by any schools you were accepted by and told not to do worse the next semester. You don't gain anything from that.

You have to send the final transcript to the institution you'll be attending, sure. But if I recall correctly, USNews uses the LSAC GPA to calculate medians and stuff like that...or am I wrong? If this is the case, it demonstrates why it might be in the school's best interest for you not to send a transcript that lowers your GPA to LSAC in the first place. But if I'm mistaken, I'd appreciate a correction.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby thecilent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:46 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
kazu wrote:If you need that GPA bump, take the easier ones. If you don't need it do as billyez says and don't send an updated transcript. However, if you get waitlisted I think some schools like to see updated transcripts or whatever - and if you get all Cs or something that probably won't go well.


I'm doing it for the bump, I'm just trying to decide how shameless to be about it.


I would take the easiest classes possible. Does your school have A+s? If so, even better.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 am

thecilent wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
kazu wrote:If you need that GPA bump, take the easier ones. If you don't need it do as billyez says and don't send an updated transcript. However, if you get waitlisted I think some schools like to see updated transcripts or whatever - and if you get all Cs or something that probably won't go well.


I'm doing it for the bump, I'm just trying to decide how shameless to be about it.


I would take the easiest classes possible. Does your school have A+s? If so, even better.


I agree. Don't worry about being "shameless." Think about it as being proactive in raising your GPA.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:48 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby thecilent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 am

Knockglock wrote:
thecilent wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
kazu wrote:If you need that GPA bump, take the easier ones. If you don't need it do as billyez says and don't send an updated transcript. However, if you get waitlisted I think some schools like to see updated transcripts or whatever - and if you get all Cs or something that probably won't go well.


I'm doing it for the bump, I'm just trying to decide how shameless to be about it.


I would take the easiest classes possible. Does your school have A+s? If so, even better.


I agree. Don't worry about being "shameless." Think about it as being proactive in raising your GPA.


Seriously. This should bump up applications because it shows the applicant is pretty dam logical/intelligent

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:50 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 am

Well, that's more of a statement then a question. :) But anyway, in that case it's even more of an issue, because you can't control your GPA or raise it any higher. See, this is precisely why people just don't don't send their LSAC GPA in at all.


Also, OP: It's your final semester of UG. If now isn't a time to be shameless...

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
thecilent wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
kazu wrote:If you need that GPA bump, take the easier ones. If you don't need it do as billyez says and don't send an updated transcript. However, if you get waitlisted I think some schools like to see updated transcripts or whatever - and if you get all Cs or something that probably won't go well.


I'm doing it for the bump, I'm just trying to decide how shameless to be about it.


I would take the easiest classes possible. Does your school have A+s? If so, even better.


I wish. I can think of a few classes where I hit an A+, but that grade doesn't exist at my school. :(


Don't worry, it doesn't exist at most. The majority of us are in that same boat. If I could give one piece of advice to someone choosing an UG who is interested in law it would be to go to a school that gives A+'s and major in the easiest major you can find.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby thecilent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:52 am

Knockglock wrote: If I could give one piece of advice to someone choosing an UG who is interested in law it would be to go to a school that gives A+'s and major in the easiest major you can find.


lol Sucks that this is so true

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:53 am

thecilent wrote:
Knockglock wrote: If I could give one piece of advice to someone choosing an UG who is interested in law it would be to go to a school that gives A+'s and major in the easiest major you can find.


lol Sucks that this is so true


I'm going to start my own consulting business after LS, make bank by gaming the system :mrgreen:.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Knockglock. I don't think it's wise to choose a major just because it's the easiest one. I'd recommend folks choose a major that they are interested in or skilled at - hopefully, both.

And also, A+'s aren't a big deal. If they are given out like the one at my UG, it's not something you can predict. It's just if a teacher thinks you've done exceptionally well. It's not necessarily attributed just how well you've done in class...it can be a small bit subjective.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: final semester of ug

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:58 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
billyez wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with you there Knockglock. I don't think it's wise to choose a major just because it's the easiest one. I'd recommend folks choose a major that they are interested in or skilled at - hopefully, both.


yeah, if you pick something easy with no real world application and ls doesn't work out, trying to get a job sucks.


That's kind of what I'm getting at. I got my major in something I love that I can spin off into teaching in case I find out I hate law (this won't happen of course, but I like Plan B's in this instance). I'd get significantly less, sure, but I'd love doing it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: patrickkpaul and 6 guests