So... I don't get it

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tanicius

So... I don't get it

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

Almost everything I need to apply this fall is complete. I want to get my stuff in as early as possible. The thing is, I don't get how we're supposed to apply on, say, the first of September when a bunch of these schools won't even release their application materials until then.

Also, and this may be obvious to a bunch of people, but I'm still unable to wrap my head around the application process itself. Most schools have a PDF application as well as the option to apply through LSAC. Let's say I don't want to inconvenience myself and decide to apply through LSAC every time. What about the part of the application that asks for your name, address, SSN, race, religion, family members, contact info, job history, that sort of thing? Is that part of each school's application included in the LSAC application process? In other words, is all I have to do click "Start application" under a school on LSAC, and I won't ever have to reference the school's site itself for relevant materials?

Emma.

Re: So... I don't get it

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Tanicius wrote:Almost everything I need to apply this fall is complete. I want to get my stuff in as early as possible. The thing is, I don't get how we're supposed to apply on, say, the first of September when a bunch of these schools won't even release their application materials until then.

Also, and this may be obvious to a bunch of people, but I'm still unable to wrap my head around the application process itself. Most schools have a PDF application as well as the option to apply through LSAC. Let's say I don't want to inconvenience myself and decide to apply through LSAC every time. What about the part of the application that asks for your name, address, SSN, race, religion, family members, contact info, job history, that sort of thing? Is that part of each school's application included in the LSAC application process? In other words, is all I have to do click "Start application" under a school on LSAC, and I won't ever have to reference the school's site itself for relevant materials?

It is really to apply on LSAC, and most schools that I applied to seemed require that you apply through the LSAC site. You'll fill in a form that has all that general information and then it autopopulates every individual school's application so you don't have to do it over and over again. You also have access to each school's application instructions via the LSAC site. Seriously, you could have all your applications finished in a day if you wanted to.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Tanicius wrote:Almost everything I need to apply this fall is complete. I want to get my stuff in as early as possible. The thing is, I don't get how we're supposed to apply on, say, the first of September when a bunch of these schools won't even release their application materials until then.

Apply through LSAC. Most schools require it.

Additionally, you need to read the school's website to see if they have additional requirements. Stanford requires a Dean's certification that must be sent to them directly. I'm sure other schools are similar. In general, though, the LSAC application will have everything on it (assuming you remember to send in your LORs and transcript).

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:07 pm

just apply when you're ready. whether you submit in september/october/most of november doesn't really matter

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm pretty sure your personal statement can not get done on LSAC, right? So, do you just send them in the mail individually to each school your applying to? Is that the only thing you would send in the mail (besides the dean certificate, if one is required)?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:17 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:I'm pretty sure your personal statement can not get done on LSAC, right? So, do you just send them in the mail individually to each school your applying to? Is that the only thing you would send in the mail (besides the dean certificate, if one is required)?

you upload the .doc to LSAC and submit electronically

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:17 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:I'm pretty sure your personal statement can not get done on LSAC, right? So, do you just send them in the mail individually to each school your applying to? Is that the only thing you would send in the mail (besides the dean certificate, if one is required)?

You attach the word document.

Postby 2807 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Thirteen wrote:

Does anyone do it as a PDF? That way it retains formatting and can not be edited right? Is .doc required? I am concerned of a mishap in the borders/fonts of a .doc transmission.

Am I over-thinking it?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 pm

2807 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Does anyone do it as a PDF? That way it retains formatting and can not be edited right? Is .doc required? I am concerned of a mishap in the borders/fonts of a .doc transmission.

Am I over-thinking it?

you can't do a PDF. it converts it to a PDF for you

also, you can preview your application/formatting before submitting

and yes, you're over-thinking it

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:36 pm

I really believe you are. Before and after you send the document, LSAC allows you to "preview" exactly how it will appear to the schools. If there's a problem with formatting or anything like that, you'll see it. As a matter of fact, in the final stages of submission, LSAC won't allow you to send until after you've previewed the document.

EDIT: Cap beat me to it.

Postby 2807 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 pm

capitalacq wrote:
2807 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Am I over-thinking it?

you can't do a PDF. it converts it to a PDF for you

also, you can preview your application/formatting before submitting

and yes, you're over-thinking it

Ha. Very nice. Thank you. I hate when I think more than I have to.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Wow. Goes a long way in settling my concerns. I can't believe all I have left to do to apply to law school is fix up my resume, send it to professors, and finish my PS.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 pm

capitalacq wrote:

just apply when you're ready. whether you submit in september/october/most of november doesn't really matter

I sent my apps in around october 21 and was told by a few different schools that my app was among the first in.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Tanicius wrote:Wow. Goes a long way in settling my concerns. I can't believe all I have left to do to apply to law school is fix up my resume, send it to professors, and finish my PS.

I agree with this! My recommenders are well on their way, my LSAT is done, my transcript is processed. All I have left to do in August is to finish up some writing.

The problem with making it so easy is that I'm almost sure I'll get drunk some night after my other applications are in and waste the $75 on a harvard app. I need LSAC to shut down after 2am on weekends.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm

I fully endorse the image --> .doc file solution. When I had to do that to one of my addendums it showed up fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”