honesty in extracurriculars

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: honesty in extracurriculars

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:36 pm

See, now you're twice as smart because you won again!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:37 pm

I've seen people exaggerate. Ex: being president of a club and making it seem like a big deal when in reality the club has like 5 members, or really the VP acts as pres. or things like that. But, flat out lying is just wrong - and it's quite possible you'll get caught. Don't do it.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:41 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I've seen people exaggerate. Ex: being president of a club and making it seem like a big deal when in reality the club has like 5 members, or really the VP acts as pres. or things like that. But, flat out lying is just wrong - and it's quite possible you'll get caught. Don't do it.

But why even exaggerate? What does it do for you besides nothing?

I guess if it is a part of your personal statement or you are trying to prove work experience or something. Most people don't realize how little extra stuff matters for law school admissions. But, I'd imagine it would be a help in the work world. Still, obviously, better not to lie, but I don't think it's uncommon.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:See, you were incorrect. You're smarter & you win!

What kind of Canadian Wolf are you?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm

As a side note, I thought it might be more appropriate if I asked this in this tread instead of starting my own. What about people who lie on their personal statement. Like using the events in someone elses life as your own to show how much you desire To go to law school. Is there any way for people to get caught? I mean hypothetically can a creative writing genious make up a pretty good personal statement?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:14 pm

merc280 wrote:As a side note, I thought it might be more appropriate if I asked this in this tread instead of starting my own. What about people who lie on their personal statement. Like using the events in someone elses life as your own to show how much you desire To go to law school. Is there any way for people to get caught? I mean hypothetically can a creative writing genious make up a pretty good personal statement?

I really hope not-- that's awful. I'm sure it HAS happened though...

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Barbie wrote:
merc280 wrote:As a side note, I thought it might be more appropriate if I asked this in this tread instead of starting my own. What about people who lie on their personal statement. Like using the events in someone elses life as your own to show how much you desire To go to law school. Is there any way for people to get caught? I mean hypothetically can a creative writing genious make up a pretty good personal statement?

yeah, but a friend and I were discussing it, and the only way for them to find out was if the claims made in the PS were too unreal or if the adcoms investigated further which is unlikely since they probably have better things to do.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:44 pm

merc280 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

yeah, but a friend and I were discussing it, and the only way for them to find out was if the claims made in the PS were too unreal or if the adcoms investigated further which is unlikely since they probably have better things to do.

I guess. Mine makes a pretty big medical claim, so I am providing documentation (mostly because it has really impacted my GPA) but mostly everyone else, probably not.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 pm

It's a lot easier to just tell the truth. It takes a heck of a lot more to craft a believable lie and it's just not worth it. Can you lie on your PS? Sure - but it's not like making up stories is going to make your PS any better. That's not how it works.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”