Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njlaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby njlaw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

How good do you have to be to get this? I have a 3.88 gpa from an Ivy League school, and have not yet taken the LSAT. The highest practice I've gotten so far though is 164, also my most recent. I'm thinking I would need to have at least like a 170 to qualify for the ED scholarship though. Would you say that's true?

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 pm

1. It doesn't matter what school your GPA is from or what you majored in. All that matters is the number.
2. You will not get into Georgetown at all unless you significantly up that LSAT, and your highest score on PT's is rarely the same as your actual score. Focus on that increasing that score, take the LSAT and get an actual score, and then come back to TLS and ask about what scholarships you may be offered from various schools.

HTH

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm

I believe you mean George Washington, not Georgetown.

And to answer your question, it looks like you need to get up into 167+ territory to have a chance.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Although it is widely accepted that one's undergraduate school matters little for law school admissions, I don't think that is universally true. Some undergraduate colleges & universities may have close relationships with a particular law school or two. Also some law schools may accept a high number of their own undergraduates, while some students face more intense competition at their university's law school due to the large number of classmates applying.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I believe you mean George Washington, not Georgetown.

And to answer your question, it looks like you need to get up into 167+ territory to have a chance.


+1. I dont see anything about a similar Georgetown Scholarship anywhere.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm

People who went to Ivies say it matters. People who didn't say it doesn't. Shocker.

OP: if you can get a 3.9ish at an elite school, the chances are good that you can do much, much better on the LSAT than 164. Lotsa luck.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Although it is widely accepted that one's undergraduate school matters little for law school admissions, I don't think that is universally true. Some undergraduate colleges & universities may have close relationships with a particular law school or two. Also some law schools may accept a high number of their own undergraduates, while some students face more intense competition at their university's law school due to the large number of classmates applying.


While this may be true, it only matters for the, you know, <1% of law school applicants who graduate from said UG's and want to attend said law schools. So, for all practical intents and purposes, your UG/major do NOT matter.


Had a strong desire to post a link to the "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit" youtube video from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but instead I decided to be civil. I hope I don't regret this.

njlaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby njlaw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Yes, you are right, I meant GWU, not Georgetown. I always mix up the two schools, even though they are quite different. I'll have to be careful not to mess that up on my actual application too... thanks for pointing that out.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm

MrKappus wrote:People who went to Ivies say it matters.


There are plenty of Ivy grads on TLS who recognize the fact that the reputation of their UG doesn't matter in law school admissions.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:59 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:People who went to Ivies say it matters.


There are plenty of supposed Ivy grads on TLS who recognize the fact my contention that the reputation of their UG doesn't matter in law school admissions.


ftfy (in a civil fashion). hope I don't regret it.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:People who went to Ivies say it matters.


There are plenty of Ivy grads on TLS who recognize the fact that the reputation of their UG doesn't matter in law school admissions.

USnews doesn't care about UG "prestige," therefore law schools don't care. Period. End of discussion.

3.X Harvard might beat 3.X Chico State with the same LSAT. Might. But that's IT.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:People who went to Ivies say it matters.


There are plenty of Ivy grads on TLS who recognize the fact that the reputation of their UG doesn't matter in law school admissions.

USnews doesn't care about UG "prestige," therefore law schools don't care. Period. End of discussion.

3.X Harvard might beat 3.X Chico State with the same LSAT. Might. But that's IT.


Lulz.

njlaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Georgetown Presidential Merit Scholar

Postby njlaw » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:27 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:People who went to Ivies say it matters.


There are plenty of Ivy grads on TLS who recognize the fact that the reputation of their UG doesn't matter in law school admissions.

USnews doesn't care about UG "prestige," therefore law schools don't care. Period. End of discussion.

3.X Harvard might beat 3.X Chico State with the same LSAT. Might. But that's IT.



You could say the same about HS and College apps though... Colleges admit they will consider what high school you went to when admitting you, and where you went to high school has nothing to do with their rankings.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests