Avoiding Yield Protect

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Avoiding Yield Protect

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:56 pm

I go to an undergrad institution with a law school in the T30-T50. I plan on applying to it, but am afraid I might get yield protected as my numbers are both solidly above their 75s. If I were to get in to this ls with a strong/near full scholly, I'd likely go. What I am afraid of though is getting yield protected because my numbers both rest a fair amount above their 75s. Is there a way to avoid this? Should I write a why X essay to show them I'd love to stay here if accepted?

Thanks for any advice!

Grizz

Re: Avoiding Yield Protect

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Write a compelling "Why X."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Yes.

I could be wrong, but I hear if you do get YP'ed a LOCI usually gets you easily off their WL.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm

bk1 wrote:I could be wrong, but I hear if you do get YP'ed a LOCI usually gets you easily off their WL.

I think it's tough to make broad generalizations across schools, and getting off WL may or may not get you money.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:01 pm

rad law wrote:I think it's tough to make broad generalizations across schools, and getting off WL may or may not get you money.

True, but it seems like you could haggle with them considering OP is above both 75's.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad law wrote:I think it's tough to make broad generalizations across schools, and getting off WL may or may not get you money.

True, but it seems like you could haggle with them considering OP is above both 75's.

You could, but depending on when you get off WL, there may not be money left.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 pm

rad law wrote:Write a compelling "Why X."

TCR

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:

TCR

Definitely will do then... it's funny how the schools you really need to write a Why X letter to are your reaches and some safeties :lol:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:

TCR

Definitely will do then... it's funny how the schools you really need to write a Why X letter to are your reaches and some safeties :lol:

This school you're applying to may not even YP at all. I'd still recommend the "Why X" though.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Just so long as we are all on the same page here, I take it that everyone would recommend to the OP that she visit the law school campus just after classes begin this year to talk to someone about the law program--the higher up the better, but anyone is better than no one. This is the sort of stuff that makes for a compelling 'why x' essay. Not just some stuff one finds on the damn internets.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:21 pm

sumus romani wrote:Just so long as we are all on the same page here, I take it that everyone would recommend to the OP that she visit the law school campus just after classes begin this year to talk to someone about the law program--the higher up the better, but anyone is better than no one. This is the sort of stuff that makes for a compelling 'why x' essay. Not just some stuff one finds on the damn internets.

OP went to this school for UG.

But in general, visiting is a good idea if one can afford it or take the time. Stuff on the internet in a well thought out essay about why these programs matter to you also does work, though.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

sumus romani wrote:Just so long as we are all on the same page here, I take it that everyone would recommend to the OP that she visit the law school campus just after classes begin this year to talk to someone about the law program--the higher up the better, but anyone is better than no one. This is the sort of stuff that makes for a compelling 'why x' essay. Not just some stuff one finds on the damn internets.

He

This is a good idea though, I do live about 50 yards away from our law school and have been there several times for various occasions events. I do have several friends who have parents/grandparents etc. that have held pretty high positions at the ls, and I have spoken with them at length about attending this school. Would this be good to mention in a why x?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

He

This is a good idea though, I do live about 50 yards away from our law school and have been there several times for various occasions events. I do have several friends who have parents/grandparents etc. that have held pretty high positions at the ls, and I have spoken with them at length about attending this school. Would this be good to mention in a why x?

I think it would be. Any sort of connection you can establish to the law school will certainly help your case and show adcomms why you want this law school specifically. You want to convince them that you would legitimately attend their school, and it would be worth accepting you, rather than waitlist YP'ing you because they don't think you would attend their school and would likely go to a higher ranked one. Of course, it all depends on how you write it, and we won't really be able to tell until we see a rough draft.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 pm

rad law wrote:

OP went to this school for UG.

But in general, visiting is a good idea if one can afford it or take the time. Stuff on the internet in a well thought out essay about why these programs matter to you also does work, though.

I guess I wasn't clear, but I meant 'law school capmus' as opposed to the other parts of campus that the OP usually goes to.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

He

Don't be douchey about it and I don't see why not.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

He

It can be. But this is case by case. You don't want to come off as though you somehow deserve to be admitted because of your personal connections. I take it that the occassions of the discussion were informal (like at Thanksgiving or a cookout, etc). Play the occassion down, and focus on the content of the discussion. And don't even think about mentioning how your connection was totally plastered on scotch at the time.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

He

It can be. But this is case by case. You don't want to come off as though you somehow deserve to be admitted because of your personal connections. I take it that the occassions of the discussion were informal (like at Thanksgiving or a cookout, etc). Play the occassion down, and focus on the content of the discussion. And don't even think about mentioning how your connection was totally plastered on scotch at the time.

+1.

You probably know this, but make sure you phrase it more of "These people have told me such wonderful things about the school that I would love to go there" instead of "Because I know so many alumni, you should definitely let me in." (Of course, make sure you say what the wonderful things are.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”