TLS is cool: Seeking Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calbearsboy

TLS is cool: Seeking Advice

Postby calbearsboy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 am

Hey guys, seeking your advice here.

Background: GPA is horrendous at ~2.97. I know it's premature to predict my future LSAT score, but I've been consistently scoring between 175 and 178 and feel somewhat confident about the test. I am an engineer from a reputable engineering school and will be graduating in one semester. Lots of quality work-experience throughout college and glowing rec's from employers. Targeting Cornell, UPenn, Northwestern, Georgetown, and Emory.

Goal:
In order to make up for my lackluster grades, I want to maximize my GPA by enrolling in maximum number of units allowed by my institution. Assuming I do well in these courses, I will be able to raise my GPA up to 3.08.

Method:
I have two options through which I can achieving the goal:

A) Enroll in courses that have historically given out more A's than any other grade letter, thereby guaranteeing me an awesome GPA:

Course #1: Upper Division Statistics
Course #2: Graduate-level Statistics
Course #3: Reading and Writing Requirement (Guarantee A)
Course #4: Social Psychology (Guarantee A)
Course #5: Introductory Accounting (Guarantee A)

B) Enroll in courses that demonstrate extreme rigor, thereby proving that I can handle rigorous coursework:

Course #5: Mathematical Analysis

Issue:
I realize that even option A is not an easy course-load but I pose this as an issue because:

A) In my four years of undergraduate career, I rarely took more than three courses each semester. Taking 5 courses next semester, of which 3 are noticeably easier than my previous coursework may signal blatant GPA inflation.

B) I really, really don't wan't to take Mathematical Analysis but by doing well in a rigorous math course, I feel that a lot of my past math deficiencies will be overlooked.

Question:
A) To what extent are adcoms known to look at the difficulty of courses?
B) Will doing well in course option B really be as effective as I think it will be? (Is it worth the countless number of additional hours and stress that I would have to go through?)

manbearwig

Re: TLS is cool: Seeking Advice

Postby manbearwig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:18 am

calbearsboy wrote:Hey guys, seeking your advice here.

Background: GPA is horrendous at ~2.97. I know it's premature to predict my future LSAT score, but I've been consistently scoring between 175 and 178 and feel somewhat confident about the test. I am an engineer from a reputable engineering school and will be graduating in one semester. Lots of quality work-experience throughout college and glowing rec's from employers. Targeting Cornell, UPenn, Northwestern, Georgetown, and Emory.

Goal:
In order to make up for my lackluster grades, I want to maximize my GPA by enrolling in maximum number of units allowed by my institution. Assuming I do well in these courses, I will be able to raise my GPA up to 3.08.

Method:
I have two options through which I can achieving the goal:

A) Enroll in courses that have historically given out more A's than any other grade letter, thereby guaranteeing me an awesome GPA:

Course #5: Introductory Accounting (Guarantee A)

B) Enroll in courses that demonstrate extreme rigor, thereby proving that I can handle rigorous coursework:

Course #5: Mathematical Analysis

Issue:
I realize that even option A is not an easy course-load but I pose this as an issue because:

A) In my four years of undergraduate career, I rarely took more than three courses each semester. Taking 5 courses next semester, of which 3 are noticeably easier than my previous coursework may signal blatant GPA inflation.

B) I really, really don't wan't to take Mathematical Analysis but by doing well in a rigorous math course, I feel that a lot of my past math deficiencies will be overlooked.

Question:
A) To what extent are adcoms known to look at the difficulty of courses?
B) Will doing well in course option B really be as effective as I think it will be? (Is it worth the countless number of hours and stress that I would have to go through?)

Adcoms care about overall GPA and that's it. Raising your GPA (especially above the dreaded 2.__ zone)>>>>>>>>>>>>Difficulty of courses

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:39 am

manbearwig wrote:Adcoms care about overall GPA and that's it. Raising your GPA (especially above the dreaded 2.__ zone)>>>>>>>>>>>>Difficulty of courses

QF thread ending advice.

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 am

Take as many easy classes as you can that still ensures that you will graduate. All that matters is cumulative GPA, nothing else.

Easiest classes possible.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:55 am

TLS is cool???

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:05 am

Emma. wrote:TLS is cool???

You're here... I'm here... must be :D

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:12 am

Knockglock wrote:
manbearwig wrote:Adcoms care about overall GPA and that's it. Raising your GPA (especially above the dreaded 2.__ zone)>>>>>>>>>>>>Difficulty of courses

QF thread ending advice.

+1

pappyjohnson

Postby pappyjohnson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57 am

I don't know, Calbearsboy, you might not want to chalk up an "A" in that reading and writing class if you're an engineer. I mean, unless you got an "A" in the first half of that class from an instructor who also may be legally minded (and troll TLS).

calbearsboy

Postby calbearsboy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 am

Thanks for all your responses. I think I will go ahead and sign up for the easier route.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 am

I cannot answer your specific question regarding which courses to take, but can suggest pursuing Northwestern University School of Law & Cornell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”