LOR from Professor of Korean??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trudat15

LOR from Professor of Korean??

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 pm

So I got a LOR from my academic adviser, 2 employers, and also from a professor that taught me Korean. Got it from her because she absolutely adored me, and she is one of those motherly types that wants to get to know everything about her students and really takes the time. So I felt she knew be very well.
The only problem being, my major was intl relations. Is this okay? Also, she cant speak english very well. I mean she can speak it fine, but with a heavy accent. I assume in writing she is fine, but also wouldnt be surprised if she had a few grammatical mistakes.

Got these four because want to pick and choose which to send to which schools. This LOR okay to send?

THanks

manbearwig

Re: LOR from Professor of Korean??

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:30 pm

trudat15 wrote:So I got a LOR from my academic adviser, 2 employers, and also from a professor that taught me Korean. Got it from her because she absolutely adored me, and she is one of those motherly types that wants to get to know everything about her students and really takes the time. So I felt she knew be very well.
The only problem being, my major was intl relations. Is this okay? Also, she cant speak english very well. I mean she can speak it fine, but with a heavy accent. I assume in writing she is fine, but also wouldnt be surprised if she had a few grammatical mistakes.

Got these four because want to pick and choose which to send to which schools. This LOR okay to send?

THanks

Did you also have your adviser as a professor? If not, it might be useful to also find a professor you had in your major to ask. Besides that, though, I see no reason why your Korean professor wouldn't work as an LOR writer. One of my LOR was from a professor who's first language was Italian. (She was an econ prof, though.) It's quite possible she had some grammar mistakes in there, but I don't think it had any effect on my cycle.

trudat15

Re: LOR from Professor of Korean??

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:18 pm

manbearwig wrote:
trudat15 wrote:So I got a LOR from my academic adviser, 2 employers, and also from a professor that taught me Korean. Got it from her because she absolutely adored me, and she is one of those motherly types that wants to get to know everything about her students and really takes the time. So I felt she knew be very well.

THanks

Did you also have your adviser as a professor? If not, it might be useful to also find a professor you had in your major to ask. Besides that, though, I see no reason why your Korean professor wouldn't work as an LOR writer. One of my LOR was from a professor who's first language was Italian. (She was an econ prof, though.) It's quite possible she had some grammar mistakes in there, but I don't think it had any effect on my cycle.

Thanks. I dont mind if she has grammar mistakes or whatever as much, its just that shes a professor of korean, which had nothing to do with my major. Unfortunately, its been so long since UG (8 years) that I dont remember much of my professors, and I doubt many of them would remember me. I do know the Korean one remembered me and probably wrote me an awesome one, but based more on personality and stuff than academic endeavors (since I only took a Korean class with her which was fairly easy). The one professor I do remember and I rocked his class, he recently became the dean and said that he doesnt really do LOR anymore bc of time restraints. He did say he would write me one, but was afraid it might not be "meaty" enough to be considered a strong letter for me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”