How does this list look, folks??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
username99

How does this list look, folks??

Postby username99 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey y'all. So, I'll be five years out of undergrad when I start law school next fall and I have a pretty good resume. My numbers are 167/3.47 (3.632UGPA before the lsdas stuff). I'm going to be applying to a bunch of reach schools (because why not?) but I'm wondering if need to apply to more safety schools as well. This is my list so far (I realize many of these are reaches) but with my numbers where do you think I'm looking?

Berkeley, UVA, Duke, NWern, Gtown, Cornell, UCLA, Texas, USC, Wash U, GW, BU, Emory, William and Mary, BC, Fordham, American

acrossthelake

Re: How does this list look, folks??

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Unless your pretty good resume is actually truly extraordinary, whatever LSP says, except consider it overoptimistic because it doesn't take walls into account. Also, wrong forum. "What are my chances?" is the right thread.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks - I didn't see the other forum. I'll post there. But what's LSP??

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm

username99 wrote:Thanks - I didn't see the other forum. I'll post there. But what's LSP??

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

I think you need a few more safeties.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Lawschoolpredictor.com

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I would definitely take out some reaches and put in more safeties. I have numbers almost EXACTLY the same as yours (plus I am a URM), and got rejected from every single one of your reach schools aside from Cornell. Even Texas, USC, and UCLA are coin-tosses at best. In the GW, BU, BC, W&M range, I'm sure you will get some acceptances. But definitely add some safeties. Applying to just one safety (which would be American), is not a wise course of action.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 pm

username99 wrote:Hey y'all. So, I'll be five years out of undergrad when I start law school next fall and I have a pretty good resume. My numbers are 167/3.47 (3.632UGPA before the lsdas stuff). I'm going to be applying to a bunch of reach schools (because why not?) but I'm wondering if need to apply to more safety schools as well. This is my list so far (I realize many of these are reaches) but with my numbers where do you think I'm looking?

Berkeley, UVA, Duke, NWern, Gtown, Cornell, UCLA, Texas, USC, Wash U, GW, BU, Emory, William and Mary, BC, Fordham, American

Im a 167 3.5
I didnt get into every school there except GW. So not only get some safeties, but I would add a few more targets.
Last edited by itsfine on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 pm

username99 wrote:Hey y'all. So, I'll be five years out of undergrad when I start law school next fall and I have a pretty good resume. My numbers are 167/3.47 (3.632UGPA before the lsdas stuff). I'm going to be applying to a bunch of reach schools (because why not?) but I'm wondering if need to apply to more safety schools as well. This is my list so far (I realize many of these are reaches) but with my numbers where do you think I'm looking?

I would save your money from the Berkeley application, where you will almost certainly be rejected, and put it toward a T14 where you have a better, albeit still small, shot. Michigan, perhaps?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm

It's also tough to determine from your school selection what market, if any, you are targeting. This is a huge issue with the level of school you are likely to be admitted to.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks. DC, preferably. I live there now. GW's probably my top choice. I'd love to go to Texas or UCLA, but those are probably unreachable. Cornell or Northwestern would be awesome if I could get in. I know I'm looking at the GW/BU/WUSTL range. Hoping I could get into those (hoping!) and maybe somehow sneak in somewhere higher.

If anyone has a minute and can take a look at my other recent post about Letters of Rec I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks again!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 pm

username99 wrote:Thanks - I didn't see the other forum. I'll post there. But what's LSP??

Np. You're a newb. It was a newb mistake. Look around more/search more next time, though, since soon you won't be a newbie anymore.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Np. You're a newb. It was a newb mistake. Look around more/search more next time, though, since soon you won't be a newbie anymore.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”