Fee Waivers - Received in Multiple Cycles?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CreativityKing

Fee Waivers - Received in Multiple Cycles?

Postby CreativityKing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:59 am

So, I took the LSAT in Fall of 2008, graduated in 2009, and elected to work a couple years before going to law school. I received a slew of unsolicited fee waivers for the '08-'09 admissions cycle, none of which I used.

I'm now set to begin applying, so I emailed the schools in which I'm interested asking for (merit-based) fee waivers. The majority of them emailed back saying that they used the LSAC referral service to determine who will automatically be sent waivers (many of these schools I had already received waivers from an earlier cycle for).

My question is this: will I be picked up by these schools' searches in the candidate referral database to be sent another fee waiver, even though they already sent me one for a previous cycle, or is it a one-time thing?

Thanks!

acrossthelake

Re: Fee Waivers - Received in Multiple Cycles?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

So far the answer seems to be no. A lot of us who took the Sept or Dec test last year(or Feb test this year) have received no notification from any of the recently released fee waivers.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 pm

I got some T-14 fee waivers last fall. I emailed the schools and told them I wasn't applying, and they said I should have a good chance of getting the waivers renewed if I emailed them back this fall and told them about the waivers they gave me last year.

volfan6415

Postby volfan6415 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:I got some T-14 fee waivers last fall. I emailed the schools and told them I wasn't applying, and they said I should have a good chance of getting the waivers renewed if I emailed them back this fall and told them about the waivers they gave me last year.

Yeah it varies school to school but I was able to do this during the 08/09 cycle for waivers that I had recieved for the 07/08 cycle.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm

YMMV

I took in December last year and saved all mail/email I received regarding law school. I simply contacted each of those who sent me unsolicited waivers, and all have renewed them for me. Some schools aren't releasing waivers yet, however, so I could see some schools telling you to wait until application season starts.

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks all.

I think I might send out another round of emails in early September when the cycle is fully begun to see if schools are more receptive to my renewal requests then - good idea, or will they be like, "I wish this guy would quit emailing us"?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm

CreativityKing wrote:Thanks all.

I think I might send out another round of emails in early September when the cycle is fully begun to see if schools are more receptive to my renewal requests then - good idea, or will they be like, "I wish this guy would quit emailing us"?

Well....I think the fact that those who took the LSAT in earlier cycles, but who marked later cycles get left out seems to be something that neither the law schools or LSAC realize. Either they don't actually take heed of the cycle you marked as the one you plan to participate in and search for applicants in another method, or there's a bug in the program. Either way, they're usually under the impression that the round they send in September will catch most of who they want it to, even though it leaves a chunk out(whether they know this, who knows). Anyway, yes, it's why it's best to wait until after the round goes out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”